Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a speedaire off of craigslist for $350 and need help to get it up and running. Seems like its seen minimal use and been taken care of, but ive got questions.

first off, its 3ph and im looking to replace the motor with single phase. its a us electrical motors 5hp 1735rpm. Any recommendations for a repleacement? ill be running 220v of course. Leeson? Not wanting to spend a ton of cash, but dont want chinese garbage.

also, there is a pipe coming off of the pump and i need help identifying. looks as if its been cut or broken on the plastic bit. is this just an exhaust or will this be an issue?

Any info of this compressor would be a huge help, as im a newbie with compressors. Not even sure of tank size. I would guess 60gal or bigger. This is an upgrade from my
1.5hp craftsman 26gal.

Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Emmett,

That is a very good price for that machine! I have had good luck with WEG motors, they are made in Brazil and used as OEM on some Quincy air compressors. You need an industrial 184T frame motor, don't buy anything less. I used a "light duty" 5 HP and it runs hot on a homeowner model compressor. It would never last in your application, you need a real 5 HP motor (21amps+) designed to run at 100% of the time with a rated service duty of 1.15.

Stephen

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Emmett,

I live in San Diego so I avoided the shipping charges on the open box WEG, here is an American made motor for the same price with shipping, it might work in your application, I would confirm with the seller before I bought it:

Stephen

·
Registered
263 Posts
Emmett,

oops! the above Baldor motor is 3600 rpm, a smaller pulley shaft and probably is too light duty for your needs

Stephen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Emmett,

I got an open box deal on my motor like this one and it was brand new and just fine:

Stephen
Thanks for all the help, its been huge! How would i know if this shaft is the same size as my motor? is it a standard size for all 1740ish RPM motors?

this even with shipping is about $100 less than the other motor i was going to get (NIDEC/US motors D5C2K) so i may have to do it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
emmett,

They are pretty standardized for the frame size but there are variations. A caliper would give you the precise size

but with a tape measure up against the shaft end you could just eyeball it.

Stephen

Thanks for all the help, its been huge! How would i know if this shaft is the same size as my motor? is it a standard size for all 1740ish RPM motors?

this even with shipping is about $100 less than the other motor i was going to get (NIDEC/US motors D5C2K) so i may have to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts