Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel cap is really hard to get off and on because its so wide and theres not much to hold on to. So I have designed and printed out a cap opener for my gen and it works really well and I can now remove and put the cap on much easier without blistering myself. Anyway just thought Id share that with you guys.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Man what a great invention!
I too have one of those caps.
You are right, it is very difficult to remove.
Print a few more and offer them for sale.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That fuel cap is typical of the one used on Honda's .

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
353 Posts
My fuel cap is really hard to get off and on because its so wide and theres not much to hold on to. So I have designed and printed out a cap opener for my gen and it works really well and I can now remove and put the cap on much easier without blistering myself. Anyway just thought Id share that with you guys.

View attachment 9131 View attachment 9132
Great Idea! I use a strap wrench for changing oil filters on my large gas caps when they are difficult to open. I also smear a light film of Silicone Grease on them once and awhile.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great Idea! I use a strap wrench for changing oil filters on my large gas caps when they are difficult to open. I also smear a light film of Silicone Grease on them once and awhile.
Ah I might try that on mine, because the cap is getting harder to turn...Bun I am reluctant to put anything on the cap incase it gets into the fuel

That fuel cap is typical of the one used on Honda's .
Ah, mine isn't a honda so there might be a size difference

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cool aproach to a problem. I have some similar to that to open Jars, looks like a Spanner Wrench. Since I do not have a Stereolith printer, I would used my MIG and weld a nut on top of the cap :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have just improved the cap opener with 4 more fingers, so all the finger grips are used, so less stress on the fingers and it feels much firmer on the cap now.. If anyone wants one, and sure it will fit, let me know. Measurements are in pic3 and they are in millimeters.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Have you tried any other caps on the fuel tank?
that might be a better solution.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Have you tried any other caps on the fuel tank?
that might be a better solution.
No because with it not being a honda, Its 50 50 if a replacement cap will fit..... I have secured the cap opener on with a bit of double sided tape, because it may aswel stay on.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
try 3m "vhb" tape
that is the stuff they hold together travel trailers with!
good stuff!

yea the days with the tab on top of the fuel cap are gone...
they sure were easy to get on and off!

if you had a spot welder kit for the arc welder it would be easy to add one on!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts