Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running this thing about 10 hours a day, every day, since May 2019. I'm a road warrior.

Oil consumption is now running about 1 to 3 ounces a day, in a 16 ounce reservoir. The automatic oil shutdown happens at about 6 hours. I add more oil and it runs another 3 hours or so, before shutting down again.

During the break-in period, I ran it with various loads, up to around 2500 watts. Since then, I don't think I've run anything more than 1500 watts.

I've been looking with great interest, at Predator's thread on his Predator 3500, and wondering if it would last as long as this Honda, with such heavy use.

I'm wondering what to do next and would appreciate any ideas.

I've run out of time today, but I'll be back.

·
Registered
706 Posts
did you buy it new in may???
if so it has warranty!!
3 year residential / 1 year commercial warranty
way way too much oil getting gone...
what does the spark plug look like??

was it used in a super cold area?? like below 10 deg f?
a honda does not use oil like that unless something is wrong..

what does the oil look like??
are you filling the oil to the top of the bottom thread?
did you use a magnetic drain plug or a magnetic dip stick?

I am thinking crank case breather issue..
it may not be venting the crank case right..

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Warranty for sure. It’s consuming way to much oil.

10 hours a day for 9 months lands around 3000 hours. A predator generator might make 3000 hours, but I’d give it a low probability.

·
Registered
706 Posts
yea 3 k hours on a honda it is just breaking in!!

I am questioning the crank vent...
it maybe stuck open.. or broke!!
there is a little flapper in there..

dealer first and make sure they have all the docs for warranty!!
or better yet a honda gen service center!!

make sure they know you expect warranty!!
and a repair at no charge!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Computer died, just got linux installed on the new one. Now, had to find my password.

I stumbled around and vented the crankcase vent to the outside world, then to a catch can on a 3/8" line, about 12 to 15" long.

I left the line between the canister and the gas tank in place, except for disconnecting it at the canister.

I also removed the line between the canister and the air filter. I did put a 3/8" line to the port on the air filter and ran it a couple of feet to move it farther away from the exhaust.

That was a part of trying to see if it would run on fumes. My buddy experiments on things like this, sometimes using the equipment of others.

The oil does look nasty. I thought it improved a little, after rerouting the crankcase vent, but I'm not so sure, now.

I did clean the nasty plug, but have only looked at it once, since the rerouting. It looked good at that time.

There is no in-line check valve.

We have not had temps below 10 deg f, this year.

I have a bad habit of not registering purchases for warranty purposes.
I did buy it new and put a magnetic dip stick in it.

So those 2 issues would likely preclude any warranty claim.

Now it shuts down at about 3 hours. Oil consumption is now running about 4 ounces a day.

Looks like I will stick with Honda.
I bought it off the internet.. It could have been ebay.

Would it be feasable to have it rebuilt, out of pocket, or would it be better to replace it?

Resistor

p.s... Thanks to all, for responding.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a bad habit of not registering purchases for warranty purposes.
I did buy it new and put a magnetic dip stick in it.

So those 2 issues would likely preclude any warranty claim.
That should not void the warranty. I'd take it to a Honda service center under warranty as others have suggested.

·
Registered
285 Posts
At worst, put the regular dipstick back in before bringing it to a dealer. Tough to see how a different dipstick could cause it to start burning oil, unless the magnet came off and started banging around in the crankcase. I would talk to the dealer even if you didn't register it. If they won't help, I'd reach out to Honda.

·
Registered
211 Posts
@Resistor, do I understand correctly you ran this engine on "fumes"? If so... you are inciting detonation, for sure, with potentially detrimental effects, especially to the piston and rings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Resistor , do I understand correctly you ran this engine on "fumes"? If so... you are inciting detonation, for sure, with potentially detrimental effects, especially to the piston and rings.
That fumes experiment was what showed me the my buddy was not the expert I thought. He picked up on an idea, but has yet to refine it.. Like so many others.

It ran, bogged down and picked up again. Then, I shut it down and gave up on the idea, entirely.

I suspected that this might cause some damage. If it were a workable solution, engineers would have already figured out how to get the fumes from the tank to the combustion chamber.

Yet the best they can come up with is delivering gasoline to the carburetor, and letting the carburetor do its job.

I just dropped it off at the Honda dealer.

He was very reserved about any warranty work and said that they do not do swap outs, new for broken.

It is likely a head - gasket ? - issue and would take 2 to 4 hours to fix. At $ 89 an hour, that is $ 400 with taxes. New ones are on Sale for $ 1,029, so it is roughly 40% of the cost of new.

iowagold, there is no indication of a problem with the spark plug. The thing starts on first or second pull, even well below 32*.

RedOctobyr, the magnetic dip stick is not a cause of the increase in oil consumption.

If anything, it would help retard oil consumption by helping to keep debris from running through the combustion process.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Head gasket is an interesting hypothesis. Cheaper then re-ringing the piston...

I’m sure they will give it a leak down test to confirm.

I always try to buy my equipment from the same dealer. They know me, remember I’ve spent mucho $$ and have a greater inclination to help. Just something to ponder, price sometimes comes second to service.

You can potentially sell it on Craiglist with an *honest description and make back a few hundred on the cost of a replacement.... something to think about.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got it out of the shop - $133.
That is mucho better than $400.

Looks like I neglected to have the valves adjusted at the regular service interval, which is every 250 hours.

The technician reversed my bypass of the emissions system.

I perceived him to be a real believer in CARB and EPA.
There is a cure for ignorance, but stupid is permanent.
I don't know if he has time for a cure.

He said it does not seem to be burning oil or smoking.

They recommended the Honda gn4 motor oil, but a $7 per quart, or $36 per gallon, I'm not sure the value is there.

Or could I be in for some more of my own stupid tax.?

I sure do appreciate all of you that chimed in.
Kept me from getting too excited...

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I just got it out of the shop - $133.
That is mucho better than $400.

Looks like I neglected to have the valves adjusted at the regular service interval, which is every 250 hours.

The technician reversed my bypass of the emissions system.

I perceived him to be a real believer in CARB and EPA.
There is a cure for ignorance, but stupid is permanent.
I don't know if he has time for a cure.

He said it does not seem to be burning oil or smoking.

They recommended the Honda gn4 motor oil, but a $7 per quart, or $36 per gallon, I'm not sure the value is there.

Or could I be in for some more of my own stupid tax.?

I sure do appreciate all of you that chimed in.
Kept me from getting too excited...
A valve adjustment...hmmm. Has it actually stopped burning oil?

And it is indeed worth buying Honda’s oil, or an equivalent small engine oil. If you are willing to spend a few extra bucks amsoils synthetic small engine oil is even better.

I’ve always used Honda’s power equipment oil in all my generators and snowblowers. But am making the switch to amsoil on everything well broken in.

·
Registered
706 Posts
hummm
yea setting the valves....
well maybe …
but for burning or using oil??
news to me!
keep your receipts and maybe send copies to honda!!

yea valve set at maybe 1000 hrs to 3000 hrs if the oil has been changed on the service marks..

I do it on the annual on the equipment..

as far as oils
honda service school we always used castrol 10-30

and any of the good brands of synthetic work too.

always run magnetic dip sticks and magnetic drain plugs if they have a drain on all honda engines.
that black junk in the oil is magnetic!!
and if you are checking the oil level every am wipe off the trash off the mag dip stick!!
we have gone to 300 hrs on synthetic oil or until it looks beat up.
on the gens with out a spin oil filter.

I need to get the pix of the dip sticks black trash up on the honda forum

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was really pissed at Honda of the Ozarks, but I've cooled off a little, over night.

The technician weren't no technician, except -maybe- in name only. No wonder I got the impression that he was stupid.

They charged me the rate for a qualified technician, when they should have provided free, supervised service, since they used someone right off the street and completely clueless.

Anyway, I got it back. Later, went for gas.

Naturally, the first thing to do is look at the oil, so I removed the dip stick... . . . . . . . .

That fool must have turned that unit upside down, to get that much oil into the reservoir.

I spent the next hour cleaning up the oil that flowed out of the reservoir.
Then I had to remove the excess that remained, with a leaky flavor injector syringe.

He stated on the ticket that the oil was so low that it did not show on the dipstick.

Can you believe that....? Mine must have been the first generator he has ever seen.

I'm getting hot, again, and it is 24* outside.

Now, I'm wondering if and how long he ran it, with that much oil.

There was likely more I was going to say last night, but I've cooled off a little.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hummm
yea setting the valves....
well maybe …
but for burning or using oil??
news to me!
keep your receipts and maybe send copies to honda!!

yea valve set at maybe 1000 hrs to 3000 hrs if the oil has been changed on the service marks..

I do it on the annual on the equipment..

as far as oils
honda service school we always used castrol 10-30

and any of the good brands of synthetic work too.

always run magnetic dip sticks and magnetic drain plugs if they have a drain on all honda engines.
that black junk in the oil is magnetic!!
and if you are checking the oil level every am wipe off the trash off the mag dip stick!!
we have gone to 300 hrs on synthetic oil or until it looks beat up.
on the gens with out a spin oil filter.

I need to get the pix of the dip sticks black trash up on the honda forum
The recommended service interval is 250 hours.

I bought the magnetic dipstick at the same time I bought the generator.

Not only do I check the oil every day, I wipe the black stuff off and rub it between my fingers.

It ran fine for 8 hours, after I cleaned up the oil spill..

ETA - Edit to add:
Hot dog. Just noticed that I have acquired the ability to edit.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
It ran fine for 8 hours...

ETA - Edit to add:
Hot dog. Just noticed that I have acquired the ability to edit.
So previously it would shutoff due to low oil after 4 hours and now you’ve gone 8 without shutting down? Certainly progress.

I would try to quantify how long you can go without it shutting down from a full fill. Definitly keep an eye on the level but I’m curious if it would make it ATLEAST 50hours.

So what was your service interval previously? And do you have an hour meter installed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So previously it would shutoff due to low oil after 4 hours and now you’ve gone 8 without shutting down? Certainly progress.

I would try to quantify how long you can go without it shutting down from a full fill. Definitly keep an eye on the level but I’m curious if it would make it ATLEAST 50hours.

So what was your service interval previously? And do you have an hour meter installed?
It started shutting off at about 8 hours, then got worse, shutting off at about 3 to 5 hours. It seemed that when hot, adding oil would not last as long vs. starting cold.

Right now, if it went 50 hours without needing oil, I would be delighted. If it does that, I think I would most likely go with a premium oil.

The only way to know how long it would go before shutting down from a full fill, would be to put an extended run time gas tank on it.

But, I'll see what the consumption is, by checking it every day, adding oil as needed.

I have no hour meter and was haphazard in changing the oil. Usually, about every 10 days to 2 weeks, at most.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts