Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started up the generator for its monthly run today, turned the key and it managed to half turn the engine, so I did this about 3-4times and the engine came to life...

The battery came with the generator and Ive had it for about 3.5yrs now, and with the monthly runs for 10 -20mins with the odd 2-3hr runs due to power outages has kept the battery topped up, as this is the first time the battery/starter has refused to turn the engine over..

So I guess its time for a new battery, but before I connected the new battery up, I'll charge new battery up before connecting it to the generator, but I have only got a car battery charger?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Describe your battery charger. Also get a smart maintainer for your new battery, if you have an electrical outlet close by, and attach it right to the battery terminals when you’re replacing the battery, and you’ll be all set. 1-2amps is lots and shouldn’t cost too much…

·
Registered
269 Posts
Describe your battery charger. Also get a smart maintainer for your new battery, if you have an electrical outlet close by, and attach it right to the battery terminals when you’re replacing the battery, and you’ll be all set. 1-2amps is lots and shouldn’t cost too much…
Second what he said. If you have a auto battery charger use the lowest amp setting. If it doesn't charge less than 3 amps, go buy the little.maintainer at Harbor freight for $10 (cheaper on sale)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a battery charger with a 6v or 12v switch that we use on our cars? I have been thinking about getting a battery tender but I haven't got round to buy 1 yet and I do have a outside socket near my generator, so that wont be a problem, when/if I buy a battery tender.. Thats 1 of the reasons I start the generator monthly, so to keep the battery good.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
3.5 years is not bad. I know it's redundant but I'm with everybody else.... get a proper maintainer that has a float-charge mode. A small 750mA model is all you need.

Use the car battery to bulk-charge everything else. It's probably not designed to be a maintainer (one you can leave connected to the battery indefinitely).

·
Registered
619 Posts
Its a battery charger with a 6v or 12v switch that we use on our cars? I have been thinking about getting a battery tender but I haven't got round to buy 1 yet and I do have a outside socket near my generator, so that wont be a problem, when/if I buy a battery tender.. Thats 1 of the reasons I start the generator monthly, so to keep the battery good.
But does it have a low amp 12v setting? If so, you can use it to charge up the battery for an initial charge. But buy a maintainer to maintain it....;>)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But does it have a low amp 12v setting? If so, you can use it to charge up the battery for an initial charge. But buy a maintainer to maintain it....;>)
I have no idea, will have to route it out and let you know tomorrow what the amp is..I just want to make sure the new battery is fully charged before using it.
3.5 years is not bad. I know it's redundant but I'm with everybody else.... get a proper maintainer that has a float-charge mode. A small 750mA model is all you need.
Im amazed that the generator kept the battery charged up with the little amount I actually used the generator accept for the monthly runs. Is it worth charging up the battery and see if that brings it back to life, as Ive never charged the battery?.... Wonder how much power those maintainers use if there on 24/7

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have no idea, will have to route it out and let you know tomorrow what the amp is..I just want to make sure the new battery is fully charged before using it.

Im amazed that the generator kept the battery charged up with the little amount I actually used the generator accept for the monthly runs. Is it worth charging up the battery and see if that brings it back to life, as Ive never charged the battery?.... Wonder how much power those maintainers use if there on 24/7
I can see using a car charger on a motorcycle sized battery for long enough to start the machine. If that is what you have to do the job. Do not leave it charging after though.
The small maintainer used here keeps a little used car up. It's only on for two hours two days a week but that is all it needs. For the generator, the master switch is off and even after a month, it's supplied charger tops it up in about 15 minutes. How much power a maintainer uses to be on keeping a charged battery up? Don't know. Couldn't be a lot though but it is not needed to be on 24/7.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Once the charger goes to float-charge mode, its power draw is practically nil... typically less than a Watt.

Slope Plot Rectangle Font Parallel

When I crank the starter on my gen, my 750mA smart charger pulls around 13W from the receptacle but then tapers down to 0W in about a 2-3 minutes as it transitions to float-charging.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive got the spec of batter and charger, but Im thinking the charger is too powerful.. I was going try charging the battery up, and see if that brought it back to life

Charger specs
Font Recipe News Terrestrial plant Paper

Battery
Automotive tire Font Audio equipment Circle Auto part

Voltage of battery from multimeter, but no idea if its on the correct setting? The battery still looks quite strong, if that is the voltage,
Measuring instrument Camera accessory Electronic device Font Gadget

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Min. battery size for that charger is 20Ah. Your battery is 7Ah.... so, no.

Also, battery voltage alone doesn't tell the whole story of its health. A battery load tester will be able to do that more accurately.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Min. battery size for that charger is 20Ah. Your battery is 7Ah.... so, no.

Also, battery voltage alone doesn't tell the whole story of its health. A battery load tester will be able to do that more accurately.
So the battery could still be knackered,as Im thinking it could be the starter, seeing that the volts are still pretty high on the battery?
Ive just looked on amazon at the batteries and all the connections are spade, but I need the ring connections?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bought new battery and a 600ma battery charger.

I charged the new battery up before connecting it to the generator and I was surprised how long it took, as I thought batteries came almost charged, but it took about 8hrs to charge. the meter was reading about 13.70v when fully charged.
Anyway the battery seem to be starting the engine fine now, and fingers crossed I will get another 3yrs from it or longer if I buy a battery tender.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Bought new battery and a 600ma battery charger.

I charged the new battery up before connecting it to the generator and I was surprised how long it took, as I thought batteries came almost charged, but it took about 8hrs to charge. the meter was reading about 13.70v when fully charged.
Anyway the battery seem to be starting the engine fine now, and fingers crossed I will get another 3yrs from it or longer if I buy a battery tender.
I got an Interstate battery from Costco last week. They told me it was charged. Yeah, it was not. I put it on the charger for about 4 hours and it still was not completely charged when I installed it in the truck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Started up the generator for its monthly run today, turned the key and it managed to half turn the engine, so I did this about 3-4times and the engine came to life...

The battery came with the generator and Ive had it for about 3.5yrs now, and with the monthly runs for 10 -20mins with the odd 2-3hr runs due to power outages has kept the battery topped up, as this is the first time the battery/starter has refused to turn the engine over..

So I guess its time for a new battery, but before I connected the new battery up, I'll charge new battery up before connecting it to the generator, but I have only got a car battery charger?
In general lead acid batteries are charged at a rate no more than 10% of capacity then floated at 1% of capacity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts