Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, acording to the specs of my generator, it uses a litre per hour and that sounds rather a lot? In the uk where I live its roughly a £1 per litre, so its quite expensive to run and it holds 11 litres.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It all depends on the wattage capacity of the generator, and also how much of a load you're putting on it.

I'd say that sounds pretty decent, but what load is being used for that measurement? I think you'd mentioned it can produce 2600W continuous?

My EU2000i inverter claims 4 hours per gallon at a full (1600W) load, and 10 hours per gallon at a quarter (400W) load.

At 3.8L/gallon, that's around 1L/hour at 1600W, and 0.4L/hour at 400W.

But inverter generators are typically more fuel efficient, as they can spin more slowly when powering a smaller load, reducing noise, and fuel consumption.

If your 1L/per hour is at a full load, I'd say that sounds pretty good.

Fuel efficiency can become important, not just because of the cost of fuel, but also because availability can become limited after a big storm. I've waited in line for an hour to fill my gas cans. If I had a big generator that used up all my cans in a day, that would get expensive, and might also be a real hassle.

But I don't run them overnight typically. And in a pinch, we could just run them for something like an hour every 4 hours or whatever, to warm up the house, and cool down the fridge. And use battery lights in the meantime.

·
Registered
526 Posts
hi guys, acording to the specs of my generator, it uses a litre per hour and that sounds rather a lot? In the uk where I live its roughly a £1 per litre, so its quite expensive to run and it holds 11 litres.
yea fuel is always a question as well as an issue..
how much fuel do you need as well as storage of the fuel..

I am lucky to be in town where I have natural gas..
always demand on tap as they say...
right now that is my main fuel source for generator and cooking and heating.
soon I plan on doing a natural gas water heater as well.
so I do not have to store primary fuel in larger quantity's

was that 1 litre per hour gasoline (petrol)
or liquid propane / butane speed?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah I got it wrong, it says "Green & Fuel Efficient - offers up to 16 hours run time from a single 11 litre tank of fuel".... So its about 50p a hour without it working hard im guessing... Thats a bit better, but still its alot if you live of a generator. You would buy a much better generator if that was your only source of power though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Check what load that's at. At 0.7L/hour, it's not too far off from your initial number. And "up to 16 hours" may be at something like 1/4 load or thereabouts.

But agreed, a generator is a fairly expensive electricity source, if you're doing it long term. It's a wonderful tool to have available for emergencies, but the costs would definitely add up if you were running it a lot, every day, for a long time. People using them for a long time (like for an RV/camper/caravan) will often have a small inverter generator, due to them being quiet, and fuel-efficient.

·
Registered
526 Posts
yea the gen sets are not for primary power if you have good grid power available.
but if there is no grid power...
then a good generator is a good option..
costs to "pull grid power" to some remote areas are super expensive.
so off grid campers and hunters etc.
love a good gen set to be able to have some power.

solar, wind, hydro is in the same class..
expensive to setup..
but once it is in place. it works till something takes it out of operation.
solar is getting cheaper per kwh by the day...
some day it maybe a good low dollar choice..

I look at the generator power cost as the cost per kwh in a 20 year plan.
so will your gen set be still a viable power option in 20 years?
this is why a Honda generator makes sense to me..
cost is more up front but on the back end it is way lower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts