Power Equipment Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
No, I'm connecting the Isobar directly to the outlet. I haven't tried to connect using an extension cord. I suspect the Coleman does have a floating neutral since it was connected to a breaker box during Gustav back in 2008. That's why I was trying to find a way to effectively ground it. I don't know for sure that the wiring fault is being caused by bad or no grounding, but I presume that is what is causing the fault to appear. I can try to drive the grounding rod deeper into the ground, but I didn't know if that is what is casing the issue.
You would see the same results using an extension cord. The issue is not the ground, it is the disconnected neutral from the ground in the generator.
It is always a good idea to have a ground rod connection to any generator when not connected to the house electrical panel.
This is better than a sledge hammer to get that ground rod in. You can get these at any hardware store:
Amazon.com : MTB Fence Post Driver with Handle, 12LB Black T Post Pounder Hand Post Rammer for U Fence Post Wooden Post : Garden & Outdoor

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
You would see the same results using an extension cord. The issue is not the ground, it is the disconnected neutral from the ground in the generator.
It is always a good idea to have a ground rod connection to any generator when not connected to the house electrical panel.
This is better than a sledge hammer to get that ground rod in. You can get these at any hardware store:
Amazon.com : MTB Fence Post Driver with Handle, 12LB Black T Post Pounder Hand Post Rammer for U Fence Post Wooden Post : Garden & Outdoor
Would the generator have come from the vendor in this condition, or is it a mod done to allow it to be connected directly to the breaker box?

My thought is if it's a mod, then I can reverse it. Reconnect the neutral to the ground, perhaps? I don't intend to use this generator in a direct connection like that.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't see a GFCI on your generator. The plug mod I posted earlier will connect the neutral to ground bond.
The wiring diagram, page 31 in the owners manual illustrates a "floating neutral."

RV ready indicates it can be used with an RV, which may have a bonded (neutral to ground) service panel.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I don't see a GFCI on your generator. The plug mod I posted earlier will connect the neutral to ground bond.
The wiring diagram, page 31 in the owners manual illustrates a "floating neutral."

RV ready indicates it can be used with an RV, which may have a bonded (neutral to ground) service panel.
My two other generators, a Wen and a Firman are RV ready, but neither throws a wiring fault. I'm guessing the floating neutral is not necessary for RV work?

·
Registered
362 Posts
My two other generators, a Wen and a Firman are RV ready, but neither throws a wiring fault. I'm guessing the floating neutral is not necessary for RV work?
RV's normally do not have a bonded neutral in them like a house electrical system does, this is because they rely on the power pedestal for the bond between the ground and neutral. RV ready generators are set up with the bonded neutral to act like the camp ground power pedestal. Try the plug mod as aandpdan stated if you don't have the GFIC outlets.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
One thing I've noticed with the Wen is that it's listed as having a floating neutral, not bonded. However, when I plug in the Isobar, I do not get a wiring fault. I have two other generators with floating neutrals and they both throw wiring faults on the Isobar, as expected. Why would the Wen not throw one as well since it's also not bonded? Shouldn't I get a fault with the Wen?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
check it with a good VOM.
you might find it does not have the same voltage on the frame.
think bleed resistors.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I just checked the manual and it doesn't specify if the neutral is bonded or floating. Sigh. The Generator Bible site lists the neutral as floating, but I'm not sure how they know that. I'm still looking but I have not been able to find any other information on it.

I didn't think it was possible to have a floating neutral not not throw a wiring fault.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
yea... and it is always good to verify any gen before putting it in service...
make sure it is wired correctly and putting out the correct voltage etc.

we have seen some good ones over the years!
lots of outlets not wired right on the clone gens.
power to the frame stuff!!
WOW!
we always pull control panels an take a look...
loose bolts, screws etc!

lol spare parts loose in the magnets!
washers and bolts!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The Wen is definitely a floating neutral. No idea why it's not throwing a wiring fault, though. That one confuses me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
unless it does not like the waveform?
The Wen is an odd bird. It's an inverter, but I can't get a clean Hz reading with it using my DMM unless I use an Isobar. It has a floating neutral, yet unlike my other two generators with floating neutrals, it doesn't throw a wiring fault when using the Isobar. I'd love to throw a scope on it just to see what in the heck is going on. I don't have one, but I am eyeballing one. Maybe you guys can give me a heads up on the one I'm looking at, since I know literally nothing about them and I really want one that will tell me THD in addition to showing the wave form.

Opinions on this one?

Scope Option

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
What brand of DMM? My cheap Klein gives me weird reading frequency readings that my better Klein and fluke do not.

That oscilloscope looks pretty good, should do the trick... But a nice fluke meter might be more useful in the long run.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
What brand of DMM? My cheap Klein gives me weird reading frequency readings that my better Klein and fluke do not.

That oscilloscope looks pretty good, should do the trick... But a nice fluke meter might be more useful in the long run.
This is the DMM I have. I also have a Harbor Freight one, but it's not TRMS like the AstroAI.

AstroAI

I can get an easy, stable read of the Hz on the Champion inverter I have. Even more weird, I have a Coleman Powermate that's about 16 years old and I can read Hz with the AstroAI. I think, back in those days, Generac actually made the generators for Coleman. So, I think it's a pretty good one, but I know little about it.

I'd love to get a Fluke, but Fluke is really proud of their meters. Really proud. But they are nice, though, if you have the coin. I just need something to tell me why my Wen inverter is so weird.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The Wen is an odd bird. It's an inverter, but I can't get a clean Hz reading with it using my DMM unless I use an Isobar. It has a floating neutral, yet unlike my other two generators with floating neutrals, it doesn't throw a wiring fault when using the Isobar. I'd love to throw a scope on it just to see what in the heck is going on. I don't have one, but I am eyeballing one. Maybe you guys can give me a heads up on the one I'm looking at, since I know literally nothing about them and I really want one that will tell me THD in addition to showing the wave form.

Opinions on this one?

Scope Option
That scope will not tell you the THD. You need a Power Analyzer to find out what the THD is. They are not cheap!
This is what I use:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
That scope will not tell you the THD. You need a Power Analyzer to find out what the THD is. They are not cheap!
This is what I use:
That Fluke looks amazing. But that price...

Even if I did electrical work professionally, I'm not sure I could justify such a purchase. To use only occasionally for a hobby? Yeah, that's a hard no-go. A scope is probably about as close as I'm going to get to detailed info about the power output on the gensets.

The Wen has some strange behaviors that I'd love to figure out. That's why I was looking at getting a scope, although I don't know how much it would tell me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
That Fluke looks amazing. But that price...

Even if I did electrical work professionally, I'm not sure I could justify such a purchase. To use only occasionally for a hobby? Yeah, that's a hard no-go. A scope is probably about as close as I'm going to get to detailed info about the power output on the gensets.

The Wen has some strange behaviors that I'd love to figure out. That's why I was looking at getting a scope, although I don't know how much it would tell me.
Basically it will show you what the sine wave looks like, voltage, and the Hz. You would need to buy a 100:1 probe to measure 120 or 240V.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
it may not la..
most scopes have just basic probe kit...
unless it is a BIG hp or tectronics.
some of those have the expanded probe kits with them on the super expensive lab models.

yea that fluke rocks for sure!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put one of the GoWISE inverters under my RV and it has never given me problems. I run it off 2 deep cycle 110 AH 12 Volts and run it all through the night and day blasting music on a 3000 watt pro dj setup, powering a big light show, and often times running the microwave at the same time. Have nothing bad to say about this unit if you want a great inverter without breaking the bank this is the one to have.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts