Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering only gas consumption and leaving out all other costs of ownership, which setup would use less gasoline: TWO Honda EU2200 or one Honda EU7000? Comparing gas consumption assuming load of 3600 watts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If the load is always 3500w the 7k unit would be the way to go.

Why not the 4.5k honda inverter?

EDIT: yeah, its yamaha that sells the 4500w inverter. Sorry.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
There was a post a while back with extrapolated gallons per hour info on a few of honda EU Generators. I have no idea which thread it was in though.

Based on the known official fuel data from Honda. Please correct me if I’m wrong but I’m going to take a stab at it.

An eu2200 at rated load (1800watts) will run 3.2 hours on .95 gallons of fuel. That’s .30 gallons an hour.
So 2 eu2200s outputting 3600watts is .60gallons an hour.
This is the max rating which is a lot of stress on a generator with little to no head room.

An eu7000 at rated load (5500watts) will run 6.4 hours n 5.1 gallons of fuel. That’s .80 gallons an hour.
3600watts is 65% of 5500watts and 65% of .80 equals .52 gallons per hour.

I’m horrible at math, but I think the eu7000 is more efficient at 3600watts load.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Fuel usage isn't linear with load. Although fuel usage with RPM might be a bit more accurate. The EU2200i's will definitely be running at full speed. The question is will the EU7000 get to run in eco mode with 3600 watts usage? Someone with that generator will have to answer.

Neverthless, funds permitting, the EU7000 is the correct answer if Honda is required. There are other options though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what if the load was, say, 2500 continuous watts, so as to allow the assumption that the EU2200's were not at the limit of their capacity, and both the EU2200's and the EU7000 were all running on Eco mode...Wouldn't the EU7000 be even more gas efficient than the two Honda's at that reduced load?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll let someone else do the math.

Honda EU7000iS Super Quiet Inverter Generator | Honda Generators
Fuel efficient - runs up to 16 hours on 5.1 gal. of fuel
Thanks to our exclusive Eco-Throttle System, the EU7000iS offers great fuel efficiency. Runs between 6.4 to 16 hours on a single tank, depending on the load. This makes it great for overnight power.

Honda EU2200i Super Quiet Inverter Generator | Honda Generators
Fuel Tank Capacity .95 gal
Run Time per Tankful 3.2hr @ rated load 8.1 hrs @ 1/4 load

I assume the highlighted text is the pertinent information and probably eco mode. Of course, this assumes Honda isn't fudging things. For the EU2200, that's still half capacity, so the actual numbers are probably between that 3.2 and 8.1 hours.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
As Robh mentioned, fuel curves are not linear. The closer to the known quantity the more likely these extrapolations will be close. 2500watts as the question Complicates things quite a bit lol.

Id assume as the wattage decreases the pair of eu2200s will begin to edge out the eu7000. The Eu7000 is pretty darn efficient though.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
eu7000is.

it is the electronic fuel injection that does the magic.
the posted numbers are not the same as the irl numbers.

and it will depend on the elevation as well.
lol
your millage will vary comes to mind...
lol!
on natural gas all 3 rock eu2000i, eu2200i, and eu7000is so it is not a real issue for me any more.

with that stated i fine tune all of my gens as well.
they are not stock any more.
and that does make a difference!
pm for details.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts