Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Its 540lbs dry plus the added weight of 16.2 gallons of gas for a total of approx 650lbs. 1000cc motor has to be taking 2.3oz of motor oil with a weight of another almost 5lbs. Curious if they include the battery in this weight spec. So id say this ORCA is gonna be totaling in at 660+. Lmao, Thats not a portable unit even in my yard. They should make it with a ATV or tractor hitch on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I mean, your at the mercy of the parts guy regardless.. yes you need a plumber to install the gas lines, but who has enough gasoline on hand to feed a 20k unit for more than a day anyways?
Then you go buy more. It's better than having your food thaw, or sweating inside your house. Besides gas stations in Arizona are required to have independent power to pump gasoline in the event of an outage. Some don't, but most do. I usually drive into town several times a week anyway. If I have to fill up a few jerry cans when I go, I'm not seeing this as some big, impossible, or difficult task.

Or else siphon it right out of my vehicles that I always keep full, or near full. You have to remember many people don't have access to natural gas on their property. Yeah, you can get a big propane tank. But who's going to go through all that trouble, just to feed a generator you may only need once or twice a year?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Its 540lbs dry plus the added weight of 16.2 gallons of gas for a total of approx 650lbs. 1000cc motor has to be taking 2.3oz of motor oil with a weight of another almost 5lbs. Curious if they include the battery in this weight spec. So id say this ORCA is gonna be totaling in at 660+. Lmao, Thats not a portable unit even in my yard. They should make it with a ATV or tractor hitch on it.
You guys are more dramatic than a dinner theater acting troupe. Everywhere on my property I set up my generators to run is paved. These things are not that difficult to move. The 12,500 watt V-Twin unit they sell has the same engine, and weighs over 400 pounds with a full tank..... And they can't keep them in stock.

Besides, would it be better to have some little lightweight, low powered unit that doesn't have the soup to run your A/C? Or if it can your food is thawing while it does, because you don't have enough power to run what you need run.... But that's OK because it's, "easy to push".... Jesus. Perhaps Westinghouse should throw in a coupon for a box of Wheaties for some of you guys.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I mean, your at the mercy of the parts guy regardless.. yes you need a plumber to install the gas lines, but who has enough gasoline on hand to feed a 20k unit for more than a day anyways? If it works for you more power to you(litteraly and figuratively) but I can't see it ever overtaking the permanent type or the 4k portable ones.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
I can order parts directly from for my generator and don't need to get them from a private company. You don't necessarily need a plumber to install a natural gas hook up to your meter. In my case I have a 120 gallon propane tank, the vertical type and two 25 gallon tanks so I can feed it for some days. Within the month, I should have a second 120 gallon propane tank. Even if you do call a plumber to run a natural gas line, it's still a fraction of the cost of a standby generator, less than half. Using natural gas is the easiest scenario for a long time outage.

They turned off the natural gas during Katrina in New Orleans so anything connected to any type of grid/system may not be there when you need it. For fuel, I think you may need more than one option in a crisis. A standby generator is really only set-up for one power option. It may prove to be a bad choice for some in a crisis. With a standby you are just trading one master, the energy company for another, Generac. Both masters will fail you.

A few of us on this forum have chosen to use large portables. All are happy with the choice. There is not a one size fits all in generators so this may not be for everyone. Seven months later, I would do it again. I must say that many here helped me with the implementation. This is nothing the average guy couldn't handle with a little help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You guys are more dramatic than a dinner theater acting troupe. Everywhere on my property I set up my generators to run is paved. These things are not that difficult to move. The 12,500 watt V-Twin unit they sell has the same engine, and weighs over 400 pounds with a full tank..... And they can't keep them in stock.

Besides, would it be better to have some little lightweight, low powered unit that doesn't have the soup to run your A/C? Or if it can your food is thawing while it does, because you don't have enough power to run what you need run.... But that's OK because it's, "easy to push".... Jesus. Perhaps Westinghouse should throw in a coupon for a box of Wheaties for some of you guys.
Well not everyone has easy access or paved paths to from the location where they store this small car and where they intend to setup this small car. So if you are going to have to bring this unit across grass or gravel or some other area where it is not as smooth and nice as your paved surface then you are going to have a lot of trouble. Im sure everyone will agree on this (but you) . The problem today is that like everything else it has become a numbers race. Who has, who makes, the bigger gen. The age of gens for EMERGENCY use running the essentials as in heat for winter and refrigerators and maybe an AC for the hot swampy areas are over. Now people want to run everything off a portable unit, hence the size has gotten to be 650lbs of portability lol. Your back, not mine have fun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well not everyone has easy access or paved paths to from the location where they store this small car and where they intend to setup this small car. So if you are going to have to bring this unit across grass or gravel or some other area where it is not as smooth and nice as your paved surface then you are going to have a lot of trouble. Im sure everyone will agree on this (but you) . The problem today is that like everything else it has become a numbers race. Who has, who makes, the bigger gen. The age of gens for EMERGENCY use running the essentials as in heat for winter and refrigerators and maybe an AC for the hot swampy areas are over. Now people want to run everything off a portable unit, hence the size has gotten to be 650lbs of portability lol. Your back, not mine have fun.
It's a large portable generator. It's not a "numbers race". It's a specific piece of equipment designed to accomplish a specific large task. People are going to buy it, who require a large amount of power. They will be willing to forgo some ease of movement to have that. You don't buy a Toyota Corolla to tow a boat, because it's, "easy to drive". Anymore than you would buy a 5,000 watt generator to power your entire home, because it's easy to move around.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The age of gens for EMERGENCY use running the essentials as in heat for winter and refrigerators and maybe an AC for the hot swampy areas are over. Now people want to run everything off a portable unit, hence the size has gotten to be 650lbs of portability lol. Your back, not mine have fun.
Most of the generators regardless of size selected for standby use, even if portable models are ultimately in gen sheds. They stay there and are never moved. "Latching on" to the portability doesn't seem to be much of a factor as even a 300 pound generator doesn't get moved much. You need an AC anywhere in the entire Gulf Coast after a hurricane. You can die in AZ without one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most of the generators regardless of size selected for standby use, even if portable models are ultimately in gen sheds. They stay there and are never moved. "Latching on" to the portability doesn't seem to be much of a factor as even a 300 pound generator doesn't get moved much. You need an AC anywhere in the entire Gulf Coast after a hurricane. You can die in AZ without one.
Very true with the heat and the cold. But as for size to put a unit this large in a gen shed, it is such a gasoline hungry beast that it would be nice to run on NG and be hard lined, but as someone said previously they shut down all utilities in some areas after some of these larger storms due to open lines. Leaving you only gas, which now we have gas madness and everyone sucking every station dry regardless if they need it or not. To have that much gas on hand to run that size machine for days on end will be near to impossible unless you have 55gal barrels stored somewhere.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Very true with the heat and the cold. But as for size to put a unit this large in a gen shed, it is such a gasoline hungry beast that it would be nice to run on NG and be hard lined, but as someone said previously they shut down all utilities in some areas after some of these larger storms due to open lines. Leaving you only gas, which now we have gas madness and everyone sucking every station dry regardless if they need it or not. To have that much gas on hand to run that size machine for days on end will be near to impossible unless you have 55gal barrels stored somewhere.
I made the comment about natural gas. I think you need a tri-fuel approach. Natural gas does get shut off but not too much. It didn't get shut off in New Orleans this time during Ida. My generator is the same size as this one and my plan is to have all three fuels on hand. For Ida, I had 170 gallons of propane and 30 gallons of gasoline.

I just got off the phone mins ago with yet another friend telling me about how he and a mutual friend of ours where out "hunting for gas and cans" during Ida. Gasoline as the only plan is a poor plan. These are selling like "hot cakes" in New Orleans. This is Costco in New Orleans pic. Tri-fuel Firman. Everybody need a tri-fuel solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
I made the comment about natural gas. I think you need a tri-fuel approach. Natural gas does get shut off but not too much. It didn't get shut off in New Orleans this time during Ida. My generator is the same size as this one and my plan is to have all three fuels on hand. For Ida, I had 170 gallons of propane and 30 gallons of gasoline.

I just got off the phone mins ago with yet another friend telling me about how he and a mutual friend of ours where out "hunting for gas and cans" during Ida. Gasoline as the only plan is a poor plan. These are selling like "hot cakes" in New Orleans. This is Costco in New Orleans pic. Tri-fuel Firman. Everybody need a tri-fuel solution.
I recommended that one to my neighbor who not only purchased it, but had an interlock installed and a NG line installed that he just plugs into now. Im jealous lol

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
got to keep up with the joneses..
LOL!

amen on the tri fuel!
and we have a few of the hand crank radios and flashlights as well..

2 gens is always a great expanded plan.
one small enough just to run the fridge freezer and furnace and a few lights.
a eu2200is honda does well. and is still small enough as a bug out gen set or for small power camping.
setup as tri fuel easy as well.

NG is a good primary fuel. on tap ready to go unless it is F5 devastation or worse..
and that is where the LP and gasoline steps up.
some of those storms flipped cars etc...
hard to store any fuel on site on those locations...
we use the fuel from the other gars and gasoline trucks on the property as a storage plan
ports under the hood to let the on board fuel pump off load to marine fuel tanks or fuel caddies.

and if you do get smaller LP tanks 100 lb and smaller make sure they can be locked up and secured.
LARGE back yard tanks need to be bolted down to a concrete pad for a no float and no movement.
we had floods here in Iowa float away those large LP tanks down the desmoines river....
some where i have video and pix of that...
dnr was worried about the tanks getting holes in them or exploding if they were on and separated with the hoses attached.
one of the friends had a search and rescue boat and was collecting the tanks.
they had a wing dam gate to trap items floating by.
cool setup.

the storms are a real wake up call to folks!
I have been telling folks to get ready!
and it is not over yet!
keep working on your systems and your plans!
you will be glad you took the time to be ready.

stay safe out there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The more I look at this generator, the more it looks like my Powerhorse 99932 27000 watt generator. I like some of the improvements. Where the panel for the outlets is, there is the same spot with a bolted in cover to place the outlet panel on the Powerhorse. The Powerhorse has these outlets on the front. There is a tube to drain the oil on the Westinghouse gen. On my Powerhorse, a bolt. I'd like to modify my generator so that I have a tube, orange top, like the Westinghouse. Wheel Product Tire Automotive tire Toy Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Gas

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wish both of my 9,500 Westinghouse's had that type of tube drain as well. That makes changing the oil a breeze, and a lot less messy. The easier they make simple maintenance procedures like that, the more people will do them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm looking at that, as well as this model from Femco. It's more expensive, but I like it better because you don't have to deal with the hose once you're done. It simply screws on and off. It double seals on the check valve, as well as the O-Ring seal on the cap. It's very similar to the Valvomax System I have on my cars. Those work beautifully.

I'm just trying to be certain of the thread on the drain bolt itself. I'm pretty sure it's M12 X 1.5, but I want to be absolutely certain before I order 2 of the things. I hate dicking around with messy oil changes. These things make it a cake walk, and don't spill a drop.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the drainzit on my Honda 390 and love it, no more mess or having to worry about oil going under the engine anymore while it drains

21 - 37 of 37 Posts