Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Feels like a classic case of braggadocios numbers. I bet your big powerhorse and that Westinghouse are equals in reality.

The pairs of 50 amp and 30 amp outlets are interesting to see. 100amp connectors are stupid expensive but appropriate in this application.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
yea....
the 100 amp connections for 4/4 and 2/2 are cool...
but at $500-700 usd..... WOW!
kinda surprised the folks in china have not come up with a lower cost option...

it would be cool to get one of those gens on a good load bench and see if it even comes close to the claimed numbers..
after all it is not the same old school Westinghouse of the days gone by.

you could binding post connect this with a hard wired tail.
just knock off the wheels and rubber mount it to a concrete floor inside the gen shed.
just a thought.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Interesting move toward 30amp double pole rocker switch breakers on China gens lately. I like that it’s not a push button breaker and that the circuit can be turned off by the breaker. But underwhelmed by the rocker switch. It’s not that inexpensive but feels cheap.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
some of those 30amp double pole toggle switch breakers
can be upgrade swapped out for good blue sea marine breakers...

same on the outlets can be upgraded for the good legrand or marinco outlets.

·
Registered
115 Posts
.....Thing must weight in like a compact car!
It weighs 540 pounds. And it produces 20,000 watts. A Honda EU-7000 weighs 263 pounds. And it produces only 5,500 watts. That equates to only 20.9 watts per pound. While the Westinghouse produces 37.0 watts per pound. Almost twice as much power per pound of weight.

So the reality of what you're looking at is this. You have a bit over twice the weight.... And you're producing almost 4 times as much power. And just to keep all of this in perspective, the 4, EU-7000 Honda's you would be pushing around to equal this things power output, would weigh a total of 1052 pounds..... Or just over a half ton. Not to mention they would all run you just north of $20,000.00.... Or about the price of that compact car you were talking about.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It weighs 540 pounds. And it produces 20,000 watts. A Honda EU-7000 weighs 263 pounds. And it produces only 5,500 watts. That equates to only 20.9 watts per pound. While the Westinghouse produces 37.0 watts per pound. Almost twice as much power per pound of weight.

So the reality of what you're looking at is this. You have a bit over twice the weight.... And you're producing almost 4 times as much power. And just to keep all of this in perspective, the 4, EU-7000 Honda's you would be pushing around to equal this things power output, would weigh a total of 1052 pounds..... Or just over a half ton. Not to mention they would all run you just north of $20,000.00.... Or about the price of that compact car you were talking about.
Interesting comparison with the heavy Hondas.

I'm just saying you cant throw 540 in the back of your truck without something to lift it, and I suspect it's a two man job to move across the lawn.

The 20kw enclosed Kohler standby unit is 580lbs... so again, it's not really portable unless you have a equipment to move it.

What do you do with it? Are you a contractor?
Is it just for backup?
Do you just like really big gennys?

Genuine interest here!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts

I'm just saying you cant throw 540 in the back of your truck without something to lift it, and I suspect it's a two man job to move across the lawn.

The 20kw enclosed Kohler standby unit is 580lbs... so again, it's not really portable unless you have a equipment to move it.

Is it just for backup?

Genuine interest here!

I have 2 Westinghouse 9,500 Watt units. I have yet to see this 20,000 watt Westinghouse unit. Home Depot has it listed as, "Out Of Stock". With a current price of $3,500.00. That is a good price on a unit producing that much power. I suspect this unit will be in high demand. Especially after this latest hurricane.

·
Registered
115 Posts
...... Do you just like really big gennys? Genuine interest here!
I think the trend in general is that people are moving to bigger, more powerful units. That's just the way America is, and has been for the most part. And they prefer portability over a whole house permanent unit, because they can take it with if they sell and move.

Back in 1985 when I bought my EM-600 Honda, they sold quite a few of them. The fact is they're pretty much a useless toy. Seriously, what can you run with a 600 watt capacity? A power drill or saw.... Maybe? There were few, if any cordless models back then that were worth anything. You can't even run a small fridge with it. And the 2,000 watt inverter unit Harbor Freight sells, is lighter. The EM-600 weighs a ton in comparison.

Today with many power grids being over taxed. And brownouts and, "rolling blackouts" being the norm in many places, people want as much power making capability as they can get. Most residential electricians will tell you that installing generator transfer switches is taking up more and more of their business.

People today like being energy independent. They trust the present supply of power less and less. And most have good reason not to. What we used to take for granted, we no longer do. Add in all of these hurricanes and storms, and I'll all but guarantee you, this new 20,000 watt Westinghouse unit will sell, and sell FAST. You can easily run your entire home with it. And for just $3,500.00, a lot of people will be able to afford it. Especially compared to a similar 20KW Generac permanent home unit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting how geography changes people's needs so much.
I would have said most people I know are moving to smaller inverter units and ditching their loud thirsty rotorary units. Our gasoline goes bad sooo quickly.

But then again, most people here can go without AC for the few hours a year the power is out because the weather isn't so harsh. And with hydro being so expensive most homes have switched as many bug draws as possible to natural gas. Meaning you only need to run a fridge, freezer, furnace fan and at worst a well pump.

Obviously in the more rural areas where the outages are more common people like the stationary ones, but small towns like mine might only see one outage a year..

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
I think most people by me want a standby unit. It’s automatic and has a keeping up with the Jones’ component.

1000cc portable gasoline generators are a handy option but having enough fuel on hand in a true emergency situation is something most people will be short sighted on. I personally wouldn’t consider such a monster unless running natural gas.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Westinghouse web page says "coming soon", but it also has a link to 599 reviews. (Time travelers?)
If you read the reviews they were for the 12,000 watt Westinghouse unit. It has been produced for some time now. The pictures the customers posted, along with their reviews confirm this.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I just checked and my Aurora Generators 13kw diesel gen set has a listed weight of 1100 pounds, if you wanted one they are out of stock :unsure: . Not sure but I'm guessing that particular Perkins engine isn't available .

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Is it just for backup?

Genuine interest here!

It is what it is. My generator weighs that much. I'm kind of on the strong side but yeah, I can push it around the yard. I can load in onto my trailer, alone but it does require a lot of effort. I'm not a contractor. It is portable. Many might need someone to help them move it because it is heavy. I think you are going to see the segment of the market increase because of recent weather events. Watch what happens if someone ever put a plug or means to get 75 or 100 amps out one connection on a big portable gen.;)

The BIG GENERATOR is the standby generator in terms of what's involved. It seems this is as much about creating a business model as it is having a generator for power loss. To install one requires a team. They sell you the unit, mount it on some slab, plumb gas, and wire it into your house for like 11 or 12 thousand dollars. They have a tight control on parts, repair and service contract. **** thing is like a luxury car, only they can work on it. You are slaved to them. Not for me, I"m just too independent.

It's not about liking something just because it's big. It's not about size but power output which do seem to be correlated. But some argue that you don't need that much power. Just sit in a single room for a week with your entire family in the summer with a window AC unit until the power comes back. I've done that many time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is what it is. My generator weighs that much. I'm kind of on the strong side but yeah, I can push it around the yard. I can load in onto my trailer, alone but it does require a lot of effort. I'm not a contractor. It is portable. Many might need someone to help them move it because it is heavy. I think you are going to see the segment of the market increase because of recent weather events. Watch what happens if someone ever put a plug or means to get 75 or 100 amps out one connection on a big portable gen.;)

The BIG GENERATOR is the standby generator in terms of what's involved. It seems this is as much about creating a business model as it is having a generator for power loss. To install one requires a team. They sell you the unit, mount it on some slab, plumb gas, and wire it into your house for like 11 or 12 thousand dollars. They have a tight control on parts, repair and service contract. **** thing is like a luxury car, only they can work on it. You are slaved to them. Not for me, I"m just too independent.

It's not about liking something just because it's big. It's not about size but power output which do seem to be correlated. But some argue that you don't need that much power. Just sit in a single room for a week with your entire family in the summer with a window AC unit until the power comes back. I've done that many time.
I mean, your at the mercy of the parts guy regardless.. yes you need a plumber to install the gas lines, but who has enough gasoline on hand to feed a 20k unit for more than a day anyways? If it works for you more power to you(litteraly and figuratively) but I can't see it ever overtaking the permanent type or the 4k portable ones.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts