Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey LaSwamp, Glad to hear you made it through alright. Man I know what you mean with the heat and trying to sleep through it. My family of 4 spent the first night (Sunday night) in the dark as I was not going to try and setup the gen while there was still storms and rain going sideways. I'll post a separate thread with my story shortly.
I had initially tried to make it through the night with the generators shut down. After a couple of hours, though, the heat and the humidity became unpleasant enough that sleep became difficult. There's simply no way to get comfortable when it's 82 degrees with 94% humidity. Running an inverter overnight wasn't too bad, especially once I got the fuel situation figured out.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
the room dehumidifiers / ac units sure help!
and they are gen friendly.
looks like we are in for another over 90 deg blast this weekend here in Iowa...
rough year!

·
Registered
294 Posts
The window a/c units act as dehumidifiers, although you have to place them in a window that opens. In my home, only the bedrooms have windows that open. I had been looking at stand-alone dehumidifiers but all of the ones I saw had extremely mixed reviews. All of the consumer grade stuff sounded like junk from the reviews. No matter the brand, they are all made in China and probably in the same factory. None seemed to last more than a couple of years before either corroding away or being plagued with electrical problems. The commercial grade units are huge money for what you get. And a lot of them seemed to garner mixed reviews despite their much larger price tag and heavy duty design. I'm not sure why it's suddenly become so difficult for a company to design a reliable unit that doesn't cost a king's ransom. But, here we are.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The window a/c units act as dehumidifiers, although you have to place them in a window that opens. In my home, only the bedrooms have windows that open. I had been looking at stand-alone dehumidifiers but all of the ones I saw had extremely mixed reviews. All of the consumer grade stuff sounded like junk from the reviews. No matter the brand, they are all made in China and probably in the same factory. None seemed to last more than a couple of years before either corroding away or being plagued with electrical problems. The commercial grade units are huge money for what you get. And a lot of them seemed to garner mixed reviews despite their much larger price tag and heavy duty design. I'm not sure why it's suddenly become so difficult for a company to design a reliable unit that doesn't cost a king's ransom. But, here we are.
we like the commercial dehumidifiers.
pm if you need links for them.
the good units have a lift pump built in so you can drain in to a sink or other drain.

we have some of the BIG ones in the fleet we use for when the crews are dry walling
or summer when the humidity is so bad it is like rain inside a job site building...
knock it down to 60% or less and you can stand a bit of warm...

yea the home versions have had issues with catching fire etc...
most of that is from not cleaning the hidden air filter inside.
over works the unit for heat runaway.
last home version from menards re call they did not want the unit back!
you just had to mail in the power cord!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
The commercial units tend to be more reliable. But they are a lot more expensive. I'm not sure what's out there that's good, but also not an arm and a leg. I remember there was a massive recall of a lot of units a few years ago. It involved many different brands. My home a/c also acts as a dehumidifier, although in the summer it needs all the help it can get. I haven't found anything I like that's also affordable and reliable. I'm hoping HD has some good sales once the hot season subsides. I'd also like to pick up another window unit if the sale is truly clutch.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
most of the commercial dehumidifier units are 1000 to 2000 usd...

i run both units to help dry it out better...
i like 50% or less humidity so i can breath...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I still have an old White-Westinghouse MDH30WW1 dehumidifier which is like 30 years old that still works great. It's a shame we off shored most of our manufacturing and replaced quality with greed as a primary driver.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i let the old frididare unit mom and dad had from the 1960's go at the auction when dad came down with cancer..
it was a real work horse!
we left it on 7/24 it was 43 years old and still worked!
it came from the local REC back in the day.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The older designs seem to work really well. I've heard numerous stories of decades-old equipment that still works perfectly. Now everything is form over function and none of it works well, if at all.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
the older ones were super simple refrigeration.

now it is all digital, different coolant....
and cheap plastic housing....

that old one had all steel chassis and sheet tin case.
build like a tank!

wards as well as sears had similar units back then.
and western auto as well....

they were not as well used as these days....
we had a high water table back then in central Iowa where we lived...
so a dehumidifier in the basement was a must.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Blu. I keep the Champion at my girlfriend's house because she has a bad back and the Champion has an electric start. I left it at her house after the storm had passed and she got her power back having concluded that I didn't need the full wattage of both generators when I returned to my house. It was much easier to move just the Wen and I was only going to power a few items. Plus, I have two other generators on site that I could use if something happened and I needed additional power beyond what the Wen provides. I wanted to run only one generator, though, in order to conserve fuel. It was almost impossible to find in the days after the storm and I needed to stretch my supply as long as I could.

At night, when I was at my girlfriend's house, we did switch to one generator to power the window a/c units. It was only during the day that we needed both generators up. The system seemed to work well. We were comfortable for the most part and didn't have any big issues with the setup. With enough fuel, we'd have been fine for quite a while.

After seeing the interlock in action, I can see why people get them. It really makes the wiring situation much easier.
Yeah, the cords were a real hassle to deal with. Far more so than I had anticipated. It created a lot of clutter. Wen makes a more powerful inverter for about $700 that has 240 VAC. Oddly, it does not have parallel capability. Using extension cords is not the most elegant solution, but I have to admit, it did work quite well even if it was not terribly aesthetic. That's something I've been working on. That, and trying to figure out a more practical way to deal with the tiny gas tank on my Wen. The external fuel tank idea worked. Now I need to refine the design into something a bit easier than using the Coleman tank.
LaSwamp, glad to hear you weathered the storm ok. There are a lot of people down that way still suffering big time. What size is your little Wen generator?

·
Registered
294 Posts
LaSwamp, glad to hear you weathered the storm ok. There are a lot of people down that way still suffering big time. What size is your little Wen generator?
Thanks, Tboney. There are still pockets of outages in my area but things are slowly returning to normal. As bad as it was here, it could have been a lot worse.

My Wen is the GN400i. It's rated at 4kw surge, 3.5kw running. I think it's Wen's most powerful inverter that is parallel capable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Wen is the GN400i. It's rated at 4kw surge, 3.5kw running. I think it's Wen's most powerful inverter that is parallel capable.
Wow! I've had a Honda EU3000is for a little over 2 years now and paid $2000 for it. I've yet to need it, but I do run it occasionally. However, based on the reviews of the Wen GN400i unit and the fact I could have purchased 4 of them for the price of one Honda EU3000is, I feel like I've been taken to the cleaners. Also, based on your experience with Wen, it appears they're very good generators. If I need a backup unit, Wen just might fit the bill ...................... especially for $405 (Amazon) and it offers more power than my EU3000is.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wow! I've had a Honda EU3000is for a little over 2 years now and paid $2000 for it. I've yet to need it, but I do run it occasionally. However, based on the reviews of the Wen GN400i unit and the fact I could have purchased 4 of them for the price of one Honda EU3000is, I feel like I've been taken to the cleaners. Also, based on your experience with Wen, it appears they're very good generators. If I need a backup unit, Wen just might fit the bill ...................... especially for $405 (Amazon) and it offers more power than my EU3000is.
The Honda units are very nice and are well built. But based on my experiences with the Wen and Champion inverters I have, they were able to handle the job with no problems. Especially with the Wen, you get a lot of inverter for the money. It makes a really nice waveform and has plenty of power to run the necessities. The only downside is that it has a small-ish fuel tank. But there are ways around that. I was really pleased with how well mine handled a six day outage.

If you're interested in the GN400i, I recommend buying it from Wen direct. The $394 is the price delivered. Amazon is a bit more but they are going to charge you tax on top of that. For me, that comes out to around $36. So even with Prime shipping, it's about $50 more expensive if you buy from Amazon. You save even more with the bigger inverters if you buy from Wen direct. Their big 7kw inverter is $810 whereas it's over a grand everywhere else. And that's $810 delivered. That's a fantastic price on an inverter that large. Of course, it's been out of stock for a while. They have a 5kw inverter for around $680 delivered. The larger inverters don't have parallel ports, which is the only downside I note about them. They do 240v as well, so you can use it with an interlock. With my two inverters in parallel, I really have all the power I need. Otherwise, I'd be seriously looking at the larger Wen inverters especially if I wanted to use an interlock.

I've been trying to get my cousin who is looking for an inverter to consider a Wen. He wants a Honda, though. He is of one mind with Paul, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks, Tboney. There are still pockets of outages in my area but things are slowly returning to normal. As bad as it was here, it could have been a lot worse.

I thought that's what it was. It's a neat little generator.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts