Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday morning there was a very loud bang which was followed by a very quick power outage.
My wife was awake and said the generator is running.
This is the first time the 2-year-old generator has had to support the 3 1/2-ton AC.
Starting amps is 109.
Any way you figure it that is 27 KW on 240 VAC.
My 16 KW generator is going to suffer I thought.
Sure, enough the AC kicked in and I heard the governor try its best to absorb the shock.
The generator balked for a second but held its own.
I have for some time contemplated getting a soft start and that six-hour episode convinced me to get one.
I went everywhere on the web to find a Micro-air for 109 starting amps. I found an EasyStart 368 with installation kit shipped for $350.52.
I spent some time taking lessons on YouTube on install.
Shipping time is 2-3 weeks.
From the YouTube videos I think it will remedy the problem of hard starts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm betting your Generac will love you for that.

I was thinking of getting a soft start just for normal ops on utility power. Maybe after the A/C warranty runs out...
I had the option to order an inverter powered compressor when the A/C unit was replaced a couple of years ago but it was significantly more and I was concerned abt it breaking down after the warranty expired. This option is almost as good and considerably cheaper. It wouldn't have the variable speed, but around here, the compressor would be running full speed most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Monday morning there was a very loud bang which was followed by a very quick power outage.
My wife was awake and said the generator is running.
This is the first time the 2-year-old generator has had to support the 3 1/2-ton AC.
Starting amps is 109.
Any way you figure it that is 27 KW on 240 VAC.
My 16 KW generator is going to suffer I thought.
Sure, enough the AC kicked in and I heard the governor try its best to absorb the shock.
The generator balked for a second but held its own.
I have for some time contemplated getting a soft start and that six-hour episode convinced me to get one.
I went everywhere on the web to find a Micro-air for 109 starting amps. I found an EasyStart 368 with installation kit shipped for $350.52.
I spent some time taking lessons on YouTube on install.
Shipping time is 2-3 weeks.
From the YouTube videos I think it will remedy the problem of hard starts.
lol!
welcome to the soft start club!
yea they work!
with the high heat etc. it is going to make gen power as a must for folks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts