Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I have provided enough information since I am a newbie on generators. Here is what I have: A Honda EU6500is and a Rigid 5 ft 12/4 inline multi outlet generator cord. The cord cannot be plugged into the generator because the generator has a 3 prong (30 A) recepticle and the cord has a 4 prong plug. Can I make a short cord or long cord with a NEMA L5-20P on one end with a NEMA L14-20R on the other so I can use the Rigid cord? Is 12 gauge 3 wire OK? Any particular wiring watch out for if it is possible? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
dippending on the length of cord you can use 12 gauge. 3 feet you should be ok.there's charts you can find online feet vs. amps its all about distance and as for the 4 prong should be ground neutral and 2 positives so it also depends on what voltage your running

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
as for the 4 prong should be ground neutral and 2 positives so it also depends on what voltage your running
This setup is for a 120 volt extension cord. Herein lies my problem. The 3 prong plug that I need to plug into the generator would be connected to a 3 wire cord but doesn't the 4 prong receptacle on the other end of the cord need 4 wires?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This setup is for a 120 volt extension cord. Herein lies my problem. The 3 prong plug that I need to plug into the generator would be connected to a 3 wire cord but doesn't the 4 prong receptacle on the other end of the cord need 4 wires?
Its really great sharing buddy,you solved my problem from what I was going through with OP. :)
Thanks A lot ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.