Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my neighborhood I have a power outage once in a while and it wouldn't be that bad if they wouldn't take so long to fix things. For this reason I decided to buy a small generator for the least of my needs along these periods, such as recharge mobiles, use computer, watch TV, etc.

So, a few years ago I bought this brand new small gasoline generator and left it stored within the original cardboard box. After one year I decided to start it for the first time, so I put some oil, fueled and pulled the cord. Magically it started right in the first try. I then left it running for a few minutes, made a few tests to ensure it was OK and then I closed the fuel tap and waited until it burn all the gasoline into the carburetor. Then I threw it in the bottom of my garage for other full year until I had a power outage and remember of the generator. The problem is that after to pull the cord around 50 times I realized that for some unknown reason it wouldn't start anymore. The next day I brought it to a repair shop and asked them to take a look and a couple days later they called me telling me that they would have to open the engine because a part that I can't recall the name now (but that supposedly would perform the role of an automatic throttle) was bad and so it had to be replaced. When I asked how it could be had broken with the generator left alone they told me that generators cannot be left alone for so much time otherwise it dies by itself. I really don't know how truth there is in this statement but long story short they convinced me that I was the culprit. By the time the cost of the fix was too high so I just picked my broken generator back and sold it as waste.

Fast forward to 2020 I bought another similar brand new generator and started it today. As the first one it ran smoothly and after to leave it running for 15 minutes I turned it off and stored it. In order to avoid to lose a second generator I would like to know how often I have to make it run.

Thanks!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would like to know how often I have to make it run.
I would say no less than quarterly. Is the fuel ethanol free (E0)? Did you treat it with a fuel stabilizer? Be sure to change the oil after 20 hours at maximum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would say no less than quarterly. Is the fuel ethanol free (E0)? Did you treat it with a fuel stabilizer? Be sure to change the oil after 20 hours at maximum.
It looks like OP is from Brazil from the flag. Doesn't Brazil use mainly bio alcohol fuel for their "gas" engine vehicles. Maybe that gives it "psoriasis of the carburetor" if left too long without running:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
In my neighborhood I have a power outage once in a while and it wouldn't be that bad if they wouldn't take so long to fix things. For this reason I decided to buy a small generator for the least of my needs along these periods, such as recharge mobiles, use computer, watch TV, etc.

So, a few years ago I bought this brand new small gasoline generator and left it stored within the original cardboard box. After one year I decided to start it for the first time, so I put some oil, fueled and pulled the cord. Magically it started right in the first try. I then left it running for a few minutes, made a few tests to ensure it was OK and then I closed the fuel tap and waited until it burn all the gasoline into the carburetor. Then I threw it in the bottom of my garage for other full year until I had a power outage and remember of the generator. The problem is that after to pull the cord around 50 times I realized that for some unknown reason it wouldn't start anymore. The next day I brought it to a repair shop and asked them to take a look and a couple days later they called me telling me that they would have to open the engine because a part that I can't recall the name now (but that supposedly would perform the role of an automatic throttle) was bad and so it had to be replaced. When I asked how it could be had broken with the generator left alone they told me that generators cannot be left alone for so much time otherwise it dies by itself. I really don't know how truth there is in this statement but long story short they convinced me that I was the culprit. By the time the cost of the fix was too high so I just picked my broken generator back and sold it as waste.

Fast forward to 2020 I bought another similar brand new generator and started it today. As the first one it ran smoothly and after to leave it running for 15 minutes I turned it off and stored it. In order to avoid to lose a second generator I would like to know how often I have to make it run.

Thanks!
send over the make and model as well as the serial number for the generator.
from there we can help you on this issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would like to know how often I have to make it run. Thanks!
At least once every three months I start-up my Honda EU7000is; usually by key, but every once in a while manually. When I do this, I also usually check the "normal" outlets and the GFIs to ensure those are operational.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts