Power Equipment Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
The only issue I have is with the LP/NG kit I found for this gen set requires fuel tank removal. I would like to have the option to run both with minimal effort to change between the 2 fuels. I didn't look too hard for a different kit, maybe there are other kits out there that are more user friendly.
I’ve worked on that exactly north star generator. The tank needs to be removed to gain access to the carb. But once the snorkel kit (US Carburetion) is installed the tank can be put back in place and operated with either fuel.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
the fire guys may throw a fit over LARGE fuel tank storage in the city...
rural not so much..
there are rules on fuel storage where I am.
so a fuel trailer and cars and trucks are exempt.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll give the obligatory smart aleck response by saying I don't store gasoline. I converted my genny to propane. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I’ve worked on that exactly north star generator. The tank needs to be removed to gain access to the carb. But once the snorkel kit (US Carburetion) is installed the tank can be put back in place and operated with either fuel.
This makes me feel better, I am going to look into this option. Good point about the insurance too, didn't think about that one. Leaning more and more towards the propane option.

If I go that route, do you guys seafoam it to store it or just shut it off and disco the propane and leave it be?

Thanks again for the input guys!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
fig,
if you are running on LP as the primary.
clean out the fuel system (full drain and blow down of every thing)
change the oil and you are ready to store.
and at least shut off all valves on the LP system.

if it is in a gen shed or gen shack you can leave the lines connected with the valves off.
then it is ready for a run at a moments notice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you for all the detailed info Paul. I think I am going to go this route.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One advantage on running LPG or NG is that the Oil does not get as dirty as it would with Gasoline.

Still, keep in mind, LPG has less BTUs than Gasoline, so if your gen is, for example a 10K, you might get 8Ks on full power. The engine will have less Torque and HPs since the motor is tuned (timing/compression) for Gasoline. However, that small power loss is perhaps a small price to pay for the convenience of propane storage and some flexibility (illumination, cooking and heating).

21 - 27 of 27 Posts