Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon....Electronics and small engine guy..expert on portable generators....0 experience on house units
trying to help

whole house Honeywell (generac) generator. with small kids and grand parents....
Stopped running during the night 2 days ago.

OWNER REPORT
Oil everywhere.
The valve covers bolts were backed out 1/2".
Owner checked the codes. T-1 fuse open. Replaced Fuse
Tightened the valve cover bolts and refilled oil.
It is getting fuel but has no spark.

Thoughts please before I visit.
I have Fluke Meter, electrical and small engine tools...
thanks walt 225 328 2623....

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
it may have to be reset at the controller.
also you need to take come basic things like a test light.
test the low oil shut down switch.
and use an oil gauge with a T to test the oil pressure to make sure you have oil pressure..
if it was ran real low the oil system may have to be primed to get rid of air pocket in the oil pump.
what engine is in this unit?
there should be tags.
snap some pix

during crank use a fluke meter and see if the low oil switch is working.
we disconnect the oil switch wires and test with ohm or use test light if it is 12 volt dc at that point.
depending on how late model of setup it could be computer 5.5 voltage at that point.

you may have to force the cranking of the engine with a push button remote start tool.
and connect direct to the low current coil side of the start sol.
make sure you get the right connection!
be care full and have a hand on the gas shut off to kill it if it starts.
i would run a T with the dial 100 psi oil pressure gauge in view!
if it is full of oil you can disconnect the spark unit,
and crank till you get oil pressure...
30 sec then let cool for 10 min on crank or you will kill the starter in this heat.

pm if you need one on one help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it may have to be reset at the controller.
also you need to take come basic things like a test light.
test the low oil shut down switch.
and use an oil gauge with a T to test the oil pressure to make sure you have oil pressure..
if it was ran real low the oil system may have to be primed to get rid of air pocket in the oil pump.
what engine is in this unit?
there should be tags.
snap some pix

during crank use a fluke meter and see if the low oil switch is working.
we disconnect the oil switch wires and test with ohm or use test light if it is 12 volt dc at that point.
depending on how late model of setup it could be computer 5.5 voltage at that point.

you may have to force the cranking of the engine with a push button remote start tool.
and connect direct to the low current coil side of the start sol.
make sure you get the right connection!
be care full and have a hand on the gas shut off to kill it if it starts.
i would run a T with the dial 100 psi oil pressure gauge in view!
if it is full of oil you can disconnect the spark unit,
and crank till you get oil pressure...
30 sec then let cool for 10 min on crank or you will kill the starter in this heat.

pm if you need one on one help!
good morniing and WOW! thanks very such a comprehensive response......i"m following you ...
i'm thinking... it only ran low enough to open the (normally closed) low oil warning switch and open the ignition circuit, thus no spark.

so, if i short across the the oil switch (close that circuit) it should crank and spark normally, yes....then let the oil pump clear the cavitation as it starts, then as soon as it starts, shut it down and reconnect the switch..., yes?

if not, you mentioned "reset the controller" How might i do that?
thanks again for your insight...walt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, it appears to be a rebranded Generac unit...when i google the Model number a GForce engine Equipped Generac comes

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
The engine oil pressure switch is a two terminal normally closed switch. One terminal is engine ground, the other is the ignition coil kill wire. 8 psi opens the switch allowing for the coil to produce spark.

If you disconnect either of the switches wires and the engine starts then either the switch failed or the engine isn’t producing adequate oil pressure.

If you still have a no start, it’s unlikely that both ignition coils failed at the same time. You’d want to check the condition of the rocker arms, pushrods, and test for compression.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts