Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have less than an hour on the generator and got an error code of E-56. Generator would not start.

I had originally put a couple gallons ethanol free fuel, treated with pri fuel treatment in it and test ran it a few times, then about 4 months later, tried to test run it, that is when i got the code and it would not start.
Brought then generator to a local dealership and they diagnosed it as having bad gas, which turned out to be true. The gas tank was corroded and looked pretty bad. Dealer wanted about $685 to change the tank, fuel pump, fuel gauge and injector, gas filter and cap.
I bought the parts and did it myself in about an hour.
Generator starts and runs fine, but I still have the E-56 code.
Anyone know how to clear this code?
I consulted the manual that I found on this wed site, which is pretty comprehensive, but couldn’t find an answer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Charles

·
Registered
522 Posts
You let it sit for 4 months or 4 years? I’ve got 2 old Honda generators, tough as nails and reliable as heck, always have some non-ethanol treated gas in the tanks. No rust anywhere to be seen. Run your generator every month or so for 30 minutes and top up the fuel with fresh non-e regularly. Have you changed the oil yet? Can’t help you with the code… 🤷

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I let it sit for 4 months.
Must have got some really funky gas to muck things up that bad.
I previously had the same model that had a carburetor that had been started almost monthly for 7 years with no problems. I ran Av fuel in that one only since day one. That fuel was treated with pri .
That generator only had 10 hours on it when I sold it and thought that no longer needed a generator.
When the injected model came out, i got this one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've never heard of gas going bad so quickly. I wouldn’t purchase any fuel from that location again. I store fuel (generator tank included) for a year, and haven’t had any problems for the last ten years with the same Honda generator. The inside of the generator tank looks pristine (I’m probably jinxing myself). I add the recommended amount of StaBil to preserve the gasoline and Techron to keep the carburetor clean. I run the gen monthly for ten minutes. No problems so far, the generator runs like new.
@90250 did you mean you ran avgas (aviation gasoline) in your previous generator?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, i ran avgas in my previous genny that had a carburetor.
That gas was treated with pri for 7 years and i never went thru even a half tank.
I must have gotten some really bad s..t!
To rust out the tank and filler cap has to be bad.
I will post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, i ran avgas in my previous genny that had a carburetor.
That gas was treated with pri for 7 years and i never went thru even a half tank.
I must have gotten some really bad s..t!
To rust out the tank and filler cap has to be bad.
I will post pics tomorrow.
I can’t speak to how other locations blend avgas… but I did blend fuels at a refinery, and I wouldn’t run avgas through my generator. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, and you definitely had good luck running the avgas. We did add additional chemicals to increase the storage life of the avgas, but we also added lead to make the octane (anti-knock) spec. I wouldn’t want to run the leaded fuel through my generator, and I would stick with the manufacturer's recommendation. Motor gasoline is a complex brew, while our avgas was pretty simple as far as what went into it. I do think it’s important to stay away from ethanol with small engines, as I have nothing good to say about ethanol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks colt.
This genny has only had non ethanol.
With the problem you had, is it possible the station where you bought the fuel is selling something different than they advertise? Possibly containing ethanol? I always look at my gasoline in the container (using a small light) to make sure it’s "bright and clear" as we used to say, especially after storing it long term. I also keep my gen tank full, to minimize an air/vapor space.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
the larger tanks work best.
30-40's are not too bad to handle with one person.

the cheapest is to have the LARGE tank on site and bulk fill.
ut you can also do the 100 lb tanks with an auto switch over valve setup..

those auto switch over valves rock when on gen!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts