Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Honda EX5500 Generator and am in need of some information. I got this as a basket case project and have it mostly back together and engine is running. My current issue is with the powerhead not making power. I can get it to make power if I unplug all generator head harnesses and jump the field with 12v. However with all the harnesses plugged back in the case is grounded to the main windings. Trying to trace that down without a manual is near impossible.

I cant seem to find any wiring diagrams online and looks like the shop manual is out of stock everywhere. If anyone has a lead on a shop manual I can purchase that would be awesome. Help me get this old girl on the mend.
Fender Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tail & brake light

· Registered
1,413 Posts
This may be a little better, but not much. You can right-click on the image and save it to your computer so that you can zoom in on it. There are also parts diagrams here that might be helpful.
Schematic Font Parallel Engineering Technical drawing

These videos might help you too...

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, it is helpful. More specifically I have traced the problem upstream of one of the sub windings to ground. I think its part of the auto throttle circuit. Wondering if i can just disable that part of the circuit.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update: I have removed all connections to the generator head just to test if the generator makes proper power without all the connections.

Using a battery on the field windings I can only get about ~30 volts out of the main windings. I read that the field voltage could be as high as 28 volts. I then connected my bench power supply to supply the field with more voltage. This caused my output voltage to rise some but not enough (about 60 volts on each leg) I'm now at a loss if there is a problem in the gen head or my testing procedure is FUBAR.

On a side note I did find my short to ground issue was caused by a failed electric fan motor.

Anyone have the specs (ohms) for the main windings and the field?

I'm measuring 0.8 ohms on the stator winding and 85 ohms on the field. Seems like similar resistance to the videos.

Kind of at a loss on where to check next.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts