Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,
I have a Honda EU70is with around 1200 hrs on it. It runs a food trailer. I brought a new waffle iron (1400watts) and after it has heated up it causes the generator to surge. Surging in both modes ( normal and economy ) The waffle iron only has an on/off switch . I am guessing the generator is surging because the waffle iron is going from off/on (temperature control) very quickly . Any thoughts /remedy?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
you can run up the idle screw a bit to help.
from there leave the eco switch off when cooking.
the thermal switch on the waffle iron iron is cycling in and out...

or switch over to LP fired style on the waffle iron.

it is normal for the electronic gov to refuel for the load.
you can quiet box the gen it it is too loud for the area you are setup.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Hi ,
I have a Honda EU70is with around 1200 hrs on it. It runs a food trailer. I brought a new waffle iron (1400watts) and after it has heated up it causes the generator to surge. Surging in both modes ( normal and economy ) The waffle iron only has an on/off switch . I am guessing the generator is surging because the waffle iron is going from off/on (temperature control) very quickly . Any thoughts /remedy?
Thanks
Have you checked the wattage meter in the generator while the waffle iron is in use. If you see the numbers fluctuate with the tone of the generator then you have your answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked the wattage meter in the generator while the waffle iron is in use. If you see the numbers fluctuate with the tone of the generator then you have your answer.
Hi , Yes the numbers go up and down. It is surging about every 2 seconds It is a very expensive commercial iron and none of my other waffle irons do it although they are a different brand and only 1200 watts. Is there any cure?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Is there any cure?
Maybe add some additional load when using it? We had a large generator at our hunting camp that had to have all the lights turned on if you wanted to use the large commercial 12-slot toaster to keep the surging at bay.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
good idea tab!
yea it is a single 230vac mode gen set on the other country version.

so how far does it swing on the power meter right now?

the thermal switch kicking in and out the element is the issue..
a good constant load will keep the rpm and sound the same.
i think it was a miss print on the db in the lit i saw on the unit they were calling the noise as 87db.
unless the muffler is way different on the 70is version.

do you have the db meter app for your smart phone?.
it might help us to see how loud of noise we are dealing with.

i would use a quiet box for a food truck setup...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe add some additional load when using it? We had a large generator at our hunting camp that had to have all the lights turned on if you wanted to use the large commercial 12-slot toaster to keep the surging at bay.
, yes even loaded up still surges

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good idea tab!
yea it is a single 230vac mode gen set on the other country version.

so how far does it swing on the power meter right now?

the thermal switch kicking in and out the element is the issue..
a good constant load will keep the rpm and sound the same.
i think it was a miss print on the db in the lit i saw on the unit they were calling the noise as 87db.
unless the muffler is way different on the 70is version.

do you have the db meter app for your smart phone?.
it might help us to see how loud of noise we are dealing with.

i would use a quiet box for a food truck setup...
noise is about 65 db when at load. no issue with the noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone . I will have a play around and post some data on Thursday. Will get a service done and see what they say as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Cuisinart oven that turns on / off every 5+ seconds when it is on. It drives my 6,500 watt generator (Honda GX390) crazy. My larger 11KW and larger have no issue with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi , yes it still does it under load

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Cuisinart oven that turns on / off every 5+ seconds when it is on. It drives my 6,500 watt generator (Honda GX390) crazy. My larger 11KW and larger have no issue with it.
Yes , I have another 2 generators at home , so will try it out on them and see what happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts