Power Equipment Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the exact same issue but for me even after warming it up for 10minutes it will not start with the push button. My unit has only 6 hours and it is 3 years old. I change the oil every year and the fuel with stabilizer. Battery is charged.
I can definitely feel the pull string hard at first and then it goes.
Let me know how the unit worked after the changes you did.
Fobia,
It all sounds normal to me. When you pull start the engine, it is supposed to feel difficult partway through the cycle, that would be the compression stroke. Also, 6 hours in three years at 10 minutes per run.....is a flat battery. You didn't mention if the battery is on a maintainer or if you had it load tested. You need to run the unit once a month for 1 hour and then MAYBE the battery would be charged enough. If the battery has sat idle, no running or charging for 24 hours, and it reads lower than 12.5volts it's time to replace it as it's getting weak. Keep us posted... Dutchy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fobia,
It all sounds normal to me. When you pull start the engine, it is supposed to feel difficult partway through the cycle, that would be the compression stroke. Also, 6 hours in three years at 10 minutes per run.....is a flat battery. You didn't mention if the battery is on a maintainer or if you had it load tested. You need to run the unit once a month for 1 hour and then MAYBE the battery would be charged enough. If the battery has sat idle, no running or charging for 24 hours, and it reads lower than 12.5volts it's time to replace it as it's getting weak. Keep us posted... Dutchy
I have a maintainer but it is not connected all the time. I changed the oil today and recorded a video of the issue. Let me know if you think the battery needs to be replaced. I did leave it on the maintainer overnight but think it is loosing charge too quick maybe...

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have a maintainer but it is not connected all the time.
The whole point of a maintainer is to leave it connected whenever the unit is not in use. On my Toro zero-turn, it only gets put on the maintainer when it gets put to bed for the winter. All the other OPE, generators' and motorcycles' batteries are on maintainers all the time. It can take a month or more for a top-line maintainer like an Optimate4 to recover a battery.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
3 Posts
replace the battery!
bad cell!
That was it! I replaced the battery and all good now. I will definitely keep the new one on the maintainer all the time. I guess just becase the battery reads good voltage doesn't mean it is 100% good. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
any time!!
lol!
been there done that on the batteries!
yea we like the little solar brand charger.
pm me for a link.
they fit perfect just above the battery on a honda eu7000is!
we leave them plugged in 7/24 and get 4-5 years on the batteries.

we are looking in to the lithium batteries for these gen sets...
so far they are pricey. but they last 10 years or more.
the prices are dropping again on them.
the good thing is they work in temp extremes,,,
the moto cross and circle track guys sear by them as they are super light weight.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts