Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Converting my EU7000is to propane using Genconnex kit. In Canada I need to have a propane shut-off in the gas line. Am using the IMPCO FL-52826 valve and want to use the old fuel pump circuit to power the valve. The valve draws 15.5 Watts at 12V (1.3 Amp) - QUESTION - what is the draw of the fuel pump? Has anyone done this conversion and installed a safety valve? Thanks

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
do not use the oem wiring!
not unless you are using a relay and fused power to switch the power.
you will trash the expensive oem computer!.

Isolate it with a relay that is the proper way to do it.
do not direct connect!

you are better off getting the run power for the valve off the remote power wiring in the battery box area.
there are guys on ebay selling both halves of the special connectors. 24 bucks each.
no cut method to save the warranty on the gen set.
then the lp fuel valve would turn off and on with the key.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Converting my EU7000is to propane using Genconnex kit. In Canada I need to have a propane shut-off in the gas line. Am using the IMPCO FL-52826 valve and want to use the old fuel pump circuit to power the valve. The valve draws 15.5 Watts at 12V (1.3 Amp) - QUESTION - what is the draw of the fuel pump? Has anyone done this conversion and installed a safety valve? Thanks
Why are you installing this valve in the fuel supply? Just for added safety or are you setting up the unit to start remotely and need the fuel supply to be remotely controlled as well?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
DR it is a canada thing. they require the extra shut down valve on the LP units up there.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Canada only so far....
yup, part of the new explosion campaign.
new gens that have LP or NG will have a valve built in..
and insurance will not cover the claim if you do not have the protection and things go bad..

just mater of time till epa does something like that down in the lower 48!
and local and state fire code could add things like this at any time...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do not use the oem wiring!
not unless you are using a relay and fused power to switch the power.
you will trash the expensive oem computer!.

Isolate it with a relay that is the proper way to do it.
do not direct connect!

you are better off getting the run power for the valve off the remote power wiring in the battery box area.
there are guys on ebay selling both halves of the special connectors. 24 bucks each.
no cut method to save the warranty on the gen set.
then the lp fuel valve would turn off and on with the key.
Thanks! this was originally suggested by the company that installed the AGS (Auto Gen Start). I thought I could save a step but I guess at the back of my mind I thought about how sensitive the onboard computers are these days. I am past warranty (genset is 6 years old - 2700 hours and runs like a top). The wiring used for the AGS has a couple of open circuits that will handle the power to the relay. BTW - I pay $1.70 a liter for gas and .70 a liter for propane! Hence the decision to change over as I run on generator charged batteries for 3 months a year.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
3.78541178 liter to a gallon
so 2.65 can per gallon
or 2.10 usd! wow! yea today it is 2.34 per gallon here in the states as of 08/29/2021...

make sure to close the spark gap to .020 thou inches..
and we like the ngk iridium spark plug.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Thanks! this was originally suggested by the company that installed the AGS (Auto Gen Start). I thought I could save a step but I guess at the back of my mind I thought about how sensitive the onboard computers are these days. I am past warranty (genset is 6 years old - 2700 hours and runs like a top). The wiring used for the AGS has a couple of open circuits that will handle the power to the relay. BTW - I pay $1.70 a liter for gas and .70 a liter for propane! Hence the decision to change over as I run on generator charged batteries for 3 months a year.
Thanks again!
That explains it, remote start unit. Definitely want a NC shut off valve. I’ve been putting off installing a safety valve and going with propane as my primary fuel on my eu7000 with Manual remote start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Canada only so far....
yup, part of the new explosion campaign.
new gens that have LP or NG will have a valve built in..
and insurance will not cover the claim if you do not have the protection and things go bad..

just mater of time till epa does something like that down in the lower 48!
and local and state fire code could add things like this at any time...
Well I had a professional electrical engineer friend design the circuitry for the safety valve. He built in some diodes into the circuit to protect the gen computer on start up. His partner at their company Riverside Energy Systems built the circuits and it opens the shut off valve when the AGS turns on the generator. Now to complete the conversion. Tganks everyone for the feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts