Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks in advance to all for sharing your knowledge and experience.

I have has a Honda EU6500i inverter purchased new in 2012. I converted this generator to natural gas using the US Carb snorkel. I had great experience with the US Carb conversion kits on my prior conventional Generac 5500 generator. On the Generac, the natural gas adjustment was straightforward - hook up a tachometer, run it under load and set the regulator adjustment screw until it ran smooth at 3600 RPM. I have been perplexed with the correct fuel adjustment procedure on the EU6500i. The technology of the inverter results in the RPMs insensitive to load. How do I adjust the set screw on the regulator to be certain I have the optimal gas flow? I do not think I am getting full power (even with the 10% derating of natural gas) out of the Honda. I do have about a 55' run from the meter to the disconnect. But I am running 1 1/2" supply to the disconnect and a 1" 10' flexible from the disconnect to the generator.

Can anyone provide the steps to setting the regulator on the inverter?

Thanks

·
Registered
526 Posts
first things first, change out the spark plug for an iridium ngk plug gapped at .020 inches.
5/30 full synthetic oil works best.. your choice of brand honda likes castrol brand, mobile 1 works well too.

snap and post a pix of the reg setup for us to see..

if it has a standard load block on top of the regulator then use this;
10 turns out on the load block screw to start. most of the time this is a good setting.
run gen with eco off (high rpm)
do a 1500 watt min space heater on high for a basic steady load..
2 of them if you have them
one in each of the side by side duplex outlets.
adjust the load block screw in till it stumbles then out till it sounds labored.
then back in 1/2 to 1 turns.
just a bit rich is what you want.

then test by shutting of the gas supply first to kill the gen.
then turn back on the gas supply and restart.
then check with the eco on
then load it again with the heaters to make sure it ramps up ok

pm if you are stuck on this.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I've noticed that my EU7000 is trickier to adjust then standard gens. (uscarb trifuel kit as well.) They dont seem to dislike a fat mixture as much as most gens so you can end up running to rich. (on NG or LPG rich is HOT)

I'm not sure of the fueling profile of the KN demand regulator but Ive had good luck with simply adjusting the block lean till it just started to stumble then 1 turn out. On my previous generator I would re adjust twice a year. Winter and summer. Not sure how the EU7000 will react to changes in temp. I would assume just about the same.

I did check the setting by hooking up my makeshift load bank of 4 hairdryers and throwing the entire load at the generator at once. It ramped up and handled it nicely.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first things first, change out the spark plug for an iridium ngk plug gapped at .020 inches.
5/30 full synthetic oil works best.. your choice of brand honda likes castrol brand, mobile 1 works well too.

snap and post a pix of the reg setup for us to see..

if it has a standard load block on top of the regulator then use this;
10 turns out on the load block screw to start. most of the time this is a good setting.
run gen with eco off (high rpm)
do a 1500 watt min space heater on high for a basic steady load..
2 of them if you have them
one in each of the side by side duplex outlets.
adjust the load block screw in till it stumbles then out till it sounds labored.
then back in 1/2 to 1 turns.
just a bit rich is what you want.

then test by shutting of the gas supply first to kill the gen.
then turn back on the gas supply and restart.
then check with the eco on
then load it again with the heaters to make sure it ramps up ok

pm if you are stuck on this.
Iowa, you had previously suggested I install an NGK BPR6ES spark plug. The EU6500I manual specs an NGK BPR5ES spark plug, which runs hotter than the BPR6ES. Have you found these Honda's perform better at the low temp spark plug when converted to NG? I believe the EU7000i manual specs NGK BPR6ES.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I would stick with an NGK 6 heat range plug. My eu7000 came with an NGK BPR6ES and I just installed an iridium equivalent. Runs smoother in eco mode and cold starts are much improved.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Iowa, you had previously suggested I install an NGK BPR6ES spark plug. The EU6500I manual specs an NGK BPR5ES spark plug, which runs hotter than the BPR6ES. Have you found these Honda's perform better at the low temp spark plug when converted to NG? I believe the EU7000i manual specs NGK BPR6ES.

Thanks
change that plug to the iridium ngk..
I prefer the 6 in the iridium for ng or lp on both 6500 and the 7000 units.

but...
try NGK (6597) BPR5EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug,
and gap at 0.020 inches for ng and lp.
the iridium fine pin point fires better and the 0.020 gap advances the time just right.
and it takes the heat better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts