Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I own an Honda EU20i generator, which is otherwise equivalent to the EU2000i in the US. The generator has an Eco-throttle that lowers the engine revs when not under full load, but when a load comes online, the engine has to catch up and voltage fluctuates more abruptly until that happens.
I want to run an air conditioner that draws 925W, with a peak at startup of 1200W. The generator's max output is 2000W.

My question is: have you run an AC with an Honda generator with Eco-throttle (EU1000i, EU2000i, EU3000i, etc.)? Have you run it enough time to be sure that the voltage fluctuations caused by the AC startup with Eco-throttle didn't damage the AC? Please specify which generator model you used.

Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, question settled: It simply will not run. I tried it with the Eco-throttle, and the AC attempts to start, but in half a second it aborts. Without Eco-throttle it works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
It may be able to run the ac on Eco if you get the ac going while in normal mode because after the ac unit starts the load becomes constant

·
Registered
191 Posts
This situation is why the Eco-Throttle has a switch, so it can be disabled in application where the EU2 can't quite keep up with the load when Eco-Throttle is on.

Would be nice if you could manually adjust the "sensitivity" of the Eco-Throttle, but not possible for now. :eek:

[email protected]
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Robert, and everyone else, have you tried having the Honda generator running while out in the rain?
What happens to the electrical connections with the rain?
I assume there is no danger with the air intake sucking in water, but I'm concerned about the plugs.

Matt

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey Robert, and everyone else, have you tried having the Honda generator running while out in the rain?
What happens to the electrical connections with the rain?
I assume there is no danger with the air intake sucking in water, but I'm concerned about the plugs.

Matt
While weather events & power outage is a popular reason why you'd need/use a generator, very few are truly waterproof and suitable for use in direct rainfall / exposure to moisture. This is true of all Honda generators, you really should not run them in direct rain. Try and rig a cover or shield of some kind to keep rain and moisture out. Keep the generator up high away from draining water area, and a good tip is to place it on a suitable section of plywood to prevent water contact.

The EU2-series draws 95% of the combustion intake AND cooling air from the slots just above the receptacles. This is a few inches above the bottom of the generator, but keep water out of this area to be sure.

No parts of the EU2 are waterproof or water-resistant. None of the modular plugs, connectors, etc. are protected from water (as compared to many outboard/marine connectors).

[email protected]
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rain

Thanks, Robert. I'll make a box for the generator, open on one side, which will be the side where the exhaust and ventilation exit will be. If it's rain with heavy winds some water may get to the exhaust area but not to the other side where the receptacles and controls are.

Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oil

Here's another question about the generator: How much worse can it be in the long term for the engine to run the EU2000i on 10W40 semi-synthetic oil, instead of the recommended 10W30?
(I have a really hard time finding 10W30 here in Argentina, but I could buy some off ebay if necessary.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way, I understand that for just one night it probably won't do much, but I plan to use it most of every day for several weeks or more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts