Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a Honda EU1000i which is not working correctly and not producing power. It will start but the red overload light will not turn off. It also will not idle and to keep it running I have to feather the choke about half way.

I found a service manual online and working through the troubleshooting process it passes all sections except under ac output it asks me to test between the orange / Gray terminals coming from the Secondary Coil. It states it should have between 300-500 ohms.

I am only getting .4 ohms when I do this test. However, the same coil passes the output voltage test of 11-15 volts when running. So this has me scratching my head.

If i follow the manual this leads me to believe the stator is faulty. Outside of pulling the unit apart to inspect the stator can anyone think of anything else this could be before I pull this thing apart? It just seems so unlikely to me that the stator would go bad yet still produce the correct voltages.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check the magnets on the rotor
Well I broke the unit down today to see what was wrong and this is what I found. I would say you were spot on in your guess. There was a small washer that was attached to one of the magnets not sure where it came from but it looks like it got caught on the magnet at some point and self destructed the magnet.
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Now the hunt begins to find a replacement. From what im seeing online new units are pretty pricey.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Stator windings look OK?? I'd assume they got caught up in this carnage too since they are so close to the magnets.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
LOL
been there done that!
i have a rotor that got me back in 2008.
we now use it in honda school to teach others!

the gen was a fleabay item.
it was in a flood.
i have the full write up in the honda gen forum.

yea inspect the stator.....
that trash could nick the stator wires and cause a hot spot under load...
if there are any nicks make sure to paint them with clear finger nail polish so water etc will not trash them in the future.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is one downside of a permanent magnet type stator arrangement. You have to be mindful of potential FODs from being sucked into the stator assembly.... particularly metal bits.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
magnetic metal bits at that!
lol!
this is why we use loctite on all fasteners in gen sets.
the blue 242 works well
pm me if you need links

1 - 8 of 8 Posts