Power Equipment Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Another strange request for knowledge , Yesterday i received my new EU 22i however unfortunately when i opened the box which showed absolutely no external sign of damage the inner packing box on top of the generator and the generator itself were both damaged . The generator case was distorted and a captive screw on the rear of the handle had snapped and so had another on the top left of the rear pane . I would have said the generator was dropped and landed upside down but as it shows absolutely no marks or any signs of anything coming into contact with it , i would think it would have been protected by the packaging however with no damage what so ever on the outer packaging and the same number stuck on the packaging label and the Generator it would indicate its the original box , cant se how its possible but but somehow this machine has certainly suffered a hard blow to the top rear area that didn't leave any marks

The seller offered to send another or new side panels for me to replace . The item was expensive and i don't like the idea of having to do all that work on a brand new product however i urgently need it would work in its current condition as its basically cosmetic . I would like to know what is involved in changing outer covers and if it is a simple straight forward job .
plain and simple "SEND IT BACK!"
not your problem... it is the seller and shippers problem...
and yes file a damage claim with the shipper.
it could to have been dropped and not show damage on the outside.
i would not trust a dropped gen set...
way too many things can get bent inside due to inertia.

so exactly who was the seller??
I hope it was a honda dealer and not a 3rd party.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sometimes people receive a damaged unit and they return it in the packaging that came with the replacement unit. Is it possible that this generator was previously returned and the re-seller didn't realize it was damaged since the packaging looked new? You can usually tell by looking at how the manufacturer's product box was taped. If it appears to have been re-taped, you probably received a previously damaged/returned generator.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Its a Honda dealer and they will be sending me a replacement unfortunately although they arranged collection they wont send the replacement until they receive the damaged one back . I explained we have bad weather forecast so will be without any power for a while so its needed next week but not their problem , i have to wait for it to get to them then for the replacement to get to me , about 10 to 12 days in all . I sent them photos only an hour after it was delivered and explained that they will know from the shipper that its been collected but they arnt interested , not their problem , i have to wait . They did sugest i buy another as i did with the last one they sent which was faulty and they will refund me when it gets back to them . The previous one did get to them yesterday and they found the fault which was a manufacturing fault and refunded me .

The package had two plastic straps around it but looking at the photos i can see the tape on it is the dealers own tape . I didn't think they just had these packaged units delivered to then and sent them out without opening and checking so it didn't seem strange it has been closed with their tape , they did say the generators were drained of oil after testing for shipping .

It is obvious the generator wasn't damaged while in the packaging it was shipped in so had to be damaged when it was packed so its hard to understand why they didnt see the damage when they packed and sealed it , i did the moment i opened the top of the box .

·
Registered
935 Posts
It looks to me like the box was dropped flat upside down. That's how you get that kind of damage. The outer box would likely not show any damage under those circumstances.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mystery deepens , the carriers who were supposed to have collected the generator have not turned up , been 3 days now so 3 more days we have to wait for replacement to be sent . When i messaged them to register my displeasure i mentioned that the generator being returned must have been seen by someone because it was sealed with their own personalized sticky tape so they had to be blind to not notice the damage , they responded to say they open the boxes to put in bubble wrap as extra protection , i know that to be true because the EU10i sent at the beginning of March did have bubble wrap inside the box however the one being returned didn't . I messaged them to point this out and it must have been relevant because they emailed me back to confirm it did not have any bubble wrap in it , told them its been repacked as the pervious one was in exactly the same way it was delivered and its been sitting in town where i delivered it awaiting collection for 3 days so they will see that for themselves if ever their carriers collect it .

21 - 25 of 25 Posts