Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, Have a Honda ES 6500 generator with an output issue. One leg works great, produces power well, and the opposite leg produces nothing. I just rewound the stator, and the symptoms are the same as the cause that prompted the rewind. Any suggestions MUCH appreciated...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will defer to the pros, but potentially a blown diode?
This is what I am sincerely hoping, but review of the diagram tells me there are two "diodes" or rectifiers. One mounted to the Alternator itself (guessing that's the one), and one mounted inside the control panel. The one mounted in the alternator appears to be a bridge rectifier with one terminal missing, and I am having a hard time being convinced it has anything to do with the output voltage. I am no expert though... Thanks much!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so is the stator open on the one leg?
I haven't gotten that far yet, but I just installed the new stator, so I can't imagine it would be faulty as I wound it and tested the connections myself... The symptoms are identical to those that prompted me torewind the stator, so I am leaning toward some additional fault. I will get into pin-out checks tonight though, and report back. Thanks SO MUCH for your time... Any idea what the values are supposed to be between the various output terminals, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 1-3, 2-4, 3-4, etc., etc.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
most of these are the same 0.9 ohms...
also if you have access to good electrical engineering lab gear there are coil testing meters to check the coils.
if you have the shop setup for winding stator coils that should be in the test gear.
I GOT IT!!! After carefully looking at the wiring, I noticed that the previous owner had put one leg of the output winding (center tap) on the number four post, snd then attached the ground wire there. I imagine that is what caused the failure that prompted him to sell it to me so cheaply. Still, it did have a primary and output winding that looked vey discolored, so rewinding it was still a good idea, and I learned a lot... Thanks so much for your input!!! M

·
Registered
805 Posts
"ah ha"
I love it when I find the smoking gun!!
yea any thing used... you really need to check the gear real close for mods...
same on any yard sale items.
always check them before firing them up....

yea any winding that is over heated is always a good idea to replace...
that hot spot could indicate a flash over buried inside...

good job!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts