Power Equipment Forum banner

Honda EG400cl problems

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Matt88-8 
#1 ·
Requesting some help please.

My generator will start right up, run at a very high sounding idle and then shut down. If I load it before it shuts down it will stay running and maintains good voltage. As soon as I unload it, it revs back up to a high rpm idle and will shut down.

Good oil, good gas, throttle linkage seems to operate freely, no air leaks that I can tell. I was trying to pull pilot jet and clean it and it broke. So, now I'm waiting on parts.

Any ideas???

Stu

Discussion starter · #5 ·
i installed the pilot jet that broke while removing it. part #99204-ZE00380. I cant keep the generator running long enough to get any sort of tell. I'm a bit confused. I took the carb off to inspect and everything is clean. it starts, runs up high and then shuts off.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
First, thanks for helping out!

My home Fluke 322 meter is a basic clamp-on with no Hz capability. I will have to snag another from work. I did try what you had suggested--I gave the screw a couple turns before starting attempting to slow things down. It started right away, 2nd pull, revs up high and now it seems unsteady, surging. Did not stay running long at all. Almost seems too rich but not sure so I attempted to return to where I thought it was before. I had the carb off and its very clean. I did not take the bowl apart because it looked so clean, I just replaced the idle jet. I suppose I can do that and inspect the float and main jet but nothing leads me to believe that would be an issue. I also took the gas cap off thinking it may not be venting, no difference.

Ill try to get some videos tonight.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dutchy491, i appreciate your comment. What i mean is that its about 2 month old non-ethanol that had sta-bil added. When i put it away last winter i drained the fuel from the tank and carb after i ran it dry. With some seafoam.

I can go through the carb again i guess. maybe pull the main jet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.