Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a Honda eg2200x generator with no output. The rotar measures 18 omes on the rings and the brushes are good. The exciter windings are putting out 40 volts ac and it has a new avr I bought for it. I tried putting 122 volts to the brushes after I disconnected the avr and still no output.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am working on a Honda eg2200x generator with no output. The rotar measures 18 omes on the rings and the brushes are good. The exciter windings are putting out 40 volts ac and it has a new avr I bought for it. I tried putting 122 volts to the brushes after I disconnected the avr and still no output.
Tim, there's a very extensive troubleshooting procedure in the Honda shop manual. You need a voltmeter and it might help to have a load bank or test load of some kind. There's a 12V DC battery test (applied to the brushes) where you measure a 1/2 dozen test points, and this will narrow it down to the diode, stator, or the AVR.

Honda sells paper copies on both eBay and Amazon (free shipping) :

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the diode you are referring to the same as the rectifier?
Tim, there's a very extensive troubleshooting procedure in the Honda shop manual. You need a voltmeter and it might help to have a load bank or test load of some kind. There's a 12V DC battery test (applied to the brushes) where you measure a 1/2 dozen test points, and this will narrow it down to the diode, stator, or the AVR.

Honda sells paper copies on both eBay and Amazon (free shipping) :

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not necessarily. You can have a single diode, but a rectifier has at least 2 diodes if not more in it.
A rectifier usually take AC and converts to DC. Diodes usually limit current and direction it travels.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where is the other diode located thanks
There is only one "diode" on the EG2200, and the style varies depending on the serial number; some have four-prongs, others have only three. The diode is mounted to rear housing of the genset, and I think it's under the cover:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is only one "diode" on the EG2200, and the style varies depending on the serial number; some have four-prongs, others have only three. The diode is mounted to rear housing of the genset, and I think it's under the cover:

Thanks are you referring to the rectifier that has 3 wires on it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks are you referring to the rectifier that has 3 wires on it?
Depending the the serial number, the generator should have either a 4-prong or 3-prong style (part number 10 or 11 in the illustration).

Honda parts calls it a "diode" but I think it's really a multi-diode bridge, not sure if it is technically a rectifier or not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depending the the serial number, the generator should have either a 4-prong or 3-prong style (part number 10 or 11 in the illustration).

Honda parts calls it a "diode" but I think it's really a multi-diode bridge, not sure if it is technically a rectifier or not.
I tried another rectifier and the generator still does not put out. What else can I check. How do I check the field windings thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I tried another rectifier and the generator still does not put out. What else can I check. How do I check the field windings thanks.
See post #2; I'd get a paper shop manual direct from Honda; the shop manual has very extensive troubleshooting procedures, way too much to try and share here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tested the rectifier again and I went from the positive to one leg it made a 1.5 buzzer buz but I went to the other let and I could bearly hear the buzzer so I think the diode is bad. Where can I get a 3 prong diode for the eg2200x thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
I tested the rectifier again and I went from the positive to one leg it made a 1.5 buzzer buz but I went to the other let and I could bearly hear the buzzer so I think the diode is bad. Where can I get a 3 prong diode for the eg2200x thanks
Any Honda dealer can order that part for you; find one using this link:

Find A Honda Dealer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any Honda dealer can order that part for you; find one using this link:

Find A Honda Dealer
I replaced the rectifier no different so I traced the soldered wire on the rectifier and it goes to one leg on a 2 pole breaker and the other terminal connects to the ground terminal on the panel that fits on top of the generator. I thought that leg is the ac input to the rectifier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I replaced the rectifier no different so I traced the soldered wire on the rectifier and it goes to one leg on a 2 pole breaker and the other terminal connects to the ground terminal on the panel that fits on top of the generator. I thought that leg is the ac input to the rectifier.
does any one know where I can get a wiring diagram so a friend can help me with the generator?

·
Registered
191 Posts
On the rectifier which color wire is the ac input and where is it suppose to connect too thanks.
The 3-terminal diode has two gray wires, one from each side of the DC winding/coil. The output lead is white/red and connects to one side of the DC circuit breaker.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 3-terminal diode has two gray wires, one from each side of the DC winding/coil. The output lead is white/red and connects to one side of the DC circuit breaker.
I checked the field windings for continuity. The 2 gray wires have continuity and are not grounded. I checked the 2 wire terminals that have Philip screws on them and they also have continuity and they are not grounded. I also checked the pair of wire terminals that the plug which has 3 wires on it go in to and they are okay. The light green wire that is on the plug I did not bother with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On the generator how do I test the avr. I bought a new one but voltage is going in to it but not coming out of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts