Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new user here but certainly not new to small engine repair. I have a EB5000X generator that was given to me a few years back and I have just been storing it until I had time to look at it. It was used for primary power at a cabin for a number of years so it's definitely got some hours on it.
The first thing I need to do is determine if it's even viable to repair and being as how it's a Honda, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info online beyond simple carb cleaning and replacement.
So it will start but will not reach full operating RPM. In fact it doesn't seem much more than maybe a high idle. It also has the shakes.....From that I can safely assume something internal. I have gone as far as removing the valve cover and checking the gap etc. but I really didn't suspect that would change anything. I guess my question is, without even knowing if it puts out any power, how worthwhile is this thing? I am currently using an older 3500 watt Honda for power outages just to keep things like the sump pump working but it doesn't have enough grunt for say the well pump.
My thought is to start tearing it down and checking for obvious damage and measuring all the parts to see if it's just plum worn out or not. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tore it down this evening. Found both pushrods are bent. I also see discoloration on the crankshaft around the connecting rod which I think would indicate overheating.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds to me that the unit was not maintained with regular oil changes. It would probably have a low oil shutoff switch but if it was run for many many many hours without an oil change or on an auto type engine oil this is the result that one could see. All the more reason that I use AMSOIL small engine oil, and also do regular oil changes. However, if I ever got in a situation where I couldn't keep up with fresh oil this will give me a safety margin until I can. This abused genny might be too far gone to save. Keep us posted, Dutchy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no galling on any of the contact points so I don't suspect a dirty oil issue. In fact, all the parts are in really good shape. I have just received a gasket set, push rods, piston rings (might as well while I'm in there) and a replacement head, just because it was a much easier option than rebuilding the original one. Within a few days I'll know if I wasted my time and money or not. I'll report back with the results.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will get some pix this evening. I am actually wondering if it might be some short of hardening or tempering. I will also look at the flywheel and key. I agree, it does seem strange for a Honda

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update.......put it all back together, with the assumption that it was from heat treating. Everything else looked too good to have any major issues. It started easily, tried to come up to operating RPM but struggled. Seemed like it was puffing, not backfiring, but puffing back through the carb like maybe exhaust? Finally put 2 and 2 together..........it would do something like this, and possibly bend push rods if..........oh I don't know, the exhaust was plugged! Took the muffler off, gave it a tug and it came right up to speed.......actually over speed 'cause I think I messed up the governor rod/lever inside the crank case.........I think I can get to that without a full disassembly of the engine. Right now I'm very happy to have found what I did and a little annoyed that I hadn't figured it out before a complete teardown. On a lighter note, at least now it's been refreshed and should last many more years.......oh, and it makes power as well so with a little more work I'll have a nice generator.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, went a couple rounds with the governor and figured out that somehow the arm got slightly bent inside so I got that straightened out. Governor is a bit fiddly but got that working properly as well. Something must have happened between my first run and putting it back together because I had to flash the field winding to get it to make any power. Once it started making power though, it started making some noises, almost like a ticking/rubbing/.......not too sure how to describe it. Looks like the end of the rotor shaft is worn and there's some play between it and the bearing so not out of the woods yet. I'll have to evaluate it further and see if I can find a machine shop that can turn it down and get me an undersized bearing. Baby steps...more to come.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think this picture shows the issue pretty well. The ID of the bearing is supposed to be 20mm, it's enlarged to 20.64mm. The shaft I would assume should be ever so slightly smaller than that.......it measures anywhere from 19.1mm to 19.35mm.....I have emailed a company that repairs electric motors and generators to see what the prognosis might be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick and possibly the final update. Took the rotor off and took it to a machine shop. They were able to build up the shaft with weld and turn it back down to size and sell me a new bearing.......after tax it was just under $140. I was pretty happy with that. Put it all back together, put a load on it and adjusted running RPM and idle RPM. Then I double checked for correct frequency and it all looked good. So then I ran my garage and the wife's horse barn with it including a couple of large fans in the barn and all my lights and air conditioning in the shop, a heat gun plugged in for good measure. It handled everything very nicely. All that is left is to clean out the gas tank, it's a bit rusty from sitting. I just hung an umbilical tank as I like to call it on.......it's a tank from an old snow blower. Oh, and I'm planning on adding some wheels as well. But for now, I think that's a wrap!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts