Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a rather unusual snow event her in E Texas Sunday. About 10pm a tree limb across the street took out the power line from pole to neighbors house and in the process tore up connections on transformer so I am also without power. Folks on both sides of us are ok. Lineman was out last night and said it was more than he could take of alone and others would be out, but so far no one.

I had done some creative plumbing on my generator, added a T in the line between fuel filter and the factory fuel shutoff and installed shut off valve and a marine qd fitting. I got a 12 gal marine tank and some hose, connected it late yesterday afternoon, I had been running a little EU2000 all morning just for a couple of lights, perk a pot of coffee, and use toaster oven, one at a time. I topped the 12 gal tank before we went to bed, probably around 9 or a little after and it ran like a charm all night until just a few minutes ago, 10:45 almost 12 hours, when it died of fuel starvation. At least I won't have to pick up that tank while it is full. I just went out, turned that valve off turned factory valve on, checked the oil, and started it backup. Ran it probably about 17 hours on 15 gal, keeping house warm in low 30 to mid 20 degree weather. I thought for a while that it would carry my heat pump, but lights flickered and it finally threw circuit breaker on the generator, so I turned the central heat off, heat strips probably came on to defrost and just too much. I set up an electric radiator and a little fan forced electric heater and it kept the house about how we like it. Only other thing going at night was the refrigerator and freezer, so maybe 2500 watts max, as I had heaters set on med setting, really a light load for the generator. This is the longest it has been run any one time and I am very pleased.

As soon as this event is over I will do as always, change the oil, even though it looks very clean after this relatively short run, same for the little EU2000, I like to keep totally clean fresh oil in them when stored..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, hope you get your power back soon.
Sounds like you have a great setup for power outages.
Stay safe.
It's ok, I have plenty of room for a permanent installation, but just not practical for me. Anything close to my meter area would require tearing up concrete driveway or sidewalks to run electrical lines, plus generator would be at least 50 feet from house. This big Honda weighs 400 plus pounds, balances well and is relatively easy to push. I had special ordered it probably about 18 years ago and when we went to pick it up, the little sales girl said I want to show you somethng, She said move it and I did, then she said try this one, which was a much smaller lighter weight unit, which was not balanced and at a little over half the weight of my big unit was hard to move.

I store mine in a shed about 90-100 feet from the carport where I set it when I use it, and have to move it across grass, which is difficult if the yard is wet, or like yesterday, covered in about 5" of snow. I was smart years ago and did some careful measuring and had a little 2" hitch reciever made to bolt to existing bolts under the frame, then made a long drawbar, actually went through two designs on that, first one was straight and made back of unit scrape on ground so it was a no go, so had it modified with about a 14"dogleg . I hitched it to my zero turn mower and got it just about where I wanted it the moved it the rest of the way by hand , on concrete surface Backing a trailer which is what this is behind a ztr mower is not easy.

At times I wish it were a larger output, but that would require a lot more hp than my 20 hp, so I could safely run the heat pump and electric hot water, but have learned what we can and cannot have in these situations.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Generac GP15000E to use in cold or hot weather as my house is all electric. It starts my 2 1/2 ton heat pump with no problem. It also weighs over 400 lbs. I only have to move it a few feet out of my shed and hook up the 50 A. power cord to the Inlet I installed on the side of my house.
I have a Champion 5000W inverter generator to use in milder weather.
The Generac is a real gas hog with the 30 HP engine. No propane or NG here.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Understand , no propane or NG either here. I could put in a big propane tank but question is where, anywhere I place one would be inconvenient and unsightly. I am also seeing a problem with my big Honda, the engine has stopped randomly several times over the last few hours, I go out and it starts right back up. I thought low oil, but the oil is so fresh that it looks full, but difficult to tell, If it stops again I may add about half a pint and see what happens., I looked at the hour meter and it shows about 160, I'm thinking about 40 do not count because once when it was rather new I left the ignition switch on for a couple of days after running the carb dry, and it kept counting time.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
you could use the fan in the hvac to stir the heat from the space heaters to keep things even on temps...
that might help keep pipes from freezing...
you could zone the house with temp plastic zip wall like they use for construction..
just make sure the areas with the water pipes are warm.

you might want to do the meter set up like i have here on your breaker panel so you can see the loads live...
nice to be able to see it in real time.

yea old mother nature sure is kicking up and havin' tantrums!! lol
stay safe and warm down there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts