Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new guy here. Deep freeze here in Austin Texas and thought for sure I could use my two Honda Gen if needed. Alas could not get either one started (I have the “companion” for the RV).
Ran both out of non ethanol fuel on purpose a year ago. Filled them both... Pulled and pulled...nothing. Pulled plug and put a little gas in the hole and both fired immediately... for a few seconds.
will not run!
thoughts???

·
Registered
264 Posts
I really fill sorry for all of you people in TX that are suffering right now. Both of my sisters still live there.
I don't know if you have the skills to remove the carburetors and clean them, but if not, the best I can offer in your situation, is to go to the local auto parts store or Wal Mart and get a can of spray carburetor cleaner, a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner, a can of starting fluid, and a couple of gallons of pure gas (what ever brand that is on the shelf).

Drain all of the existing gas out of the gas tanks, even if it is fresh (save it if it is), a turkey baster will do the job if needed.

Remove the air filter and spray inside the carb with the carb cleaner using the straw attachment that came with the can. Leave the air filter off.

If the carburetors have a drain screw, remove that screw and drain the carbs. Make sure the fuel supply valve is open to drain the last of the gas out of the tanks and fuel lines.
Replace the drain screws. Close the fuel supply valves.

Pour a couple of ounces of Techron in the tanks then add about two cups of gas. Shake the generators a little to mix your cocktail up and open the fuel supply valve.

Spray a quick shot of starter fluid into the carb and try to start the generator up. repeat this several times. Go and do the same to the other generator.

Let them set for a few minuets to let the cocktail work and repeat with the starter fluid, attempting to start several times.

Fill the gas tanks about a quarter full with fresh gas and repeat trying to get them running with starter fluid. If this works let them run for awhile before filling the tanks to let the Techron do it's thing.

No guarantees with this method but it's a shot short of tearing the carbs down to clean them.
It has worked for me in a pinch in the past.

One thing I do is run all of my gas equipment every month to prevent these problems.
Good luck! Stay safe down there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts