Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2016 I made my natural gas adapters out of 3/8" OD stainless steel tubing for my double throat carburetor. I bent two 90's and installed them after the air filter (in the plastic between the carburetor and air filter) and sealed them in with JB weld. It just ran 24/7 for 9 days after hurricane Ida. I only shut it down every 4 days for an oil change. After hurricane Ida I made an adapter for my son's 5000 watt generator out of 1/4" ID reinforced rubber hose. I striped 2" of the reinforcement off one end of the hose and drilled through the air filter housing and the air filter. The hose goes 1" into the throat of the carburetor. I made a clamp to screw it in place with some strapping, hose clamp and screws. It runs great on natural gas or gasoline. I just tried a KN regulator on a dual fuel generator to run it on natural gas using the hose on it for the LP fuel. It also run great. All 3 use a KN low pressure natural gas regulator and I make a adjustable gas valve out of brass fittings. I get everything from EBay. I tried attaching pictures of them to this post, but was unsuccessful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What happens if the motor quits? Will the gas supply be shut of automatically or will it just continue to flow? The device which appears to be a regulator on dual fuel generators is really a safety vacuum actuated demand controller. If the engine dies and it no longer sees vacuum demand it closes and prevents the flow of gas.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What happens if the motor quits? Will the gas supply be shut of automatically or will it just continue to flow? The device which appears to be a regulator on dual fuel generators is really a safety vacuum actuated demand controller. If the engine dies and it no longer sees vacuum demand it closes and prevents the flow of gas.
The "KN regulator" mentioned is the demand regulator (Garretson Model KN).

It works in conjunction with an upstream low-pressure regulator.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The regulator has to see a vacuum to let the gas flow. The intake is sucking vacuum when the engine is turning. If the engine stops turning the gas flow stops.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In 2016 I made my natural gas adapters out of 3/8" OD stainless steel tubing for my double throat carburetor. I bent two 90's and installed them after the air filter (in the plastic between the carburetor and air filter) and sealed them in with JB weld. It just ran 24/7 for 9 days after hurricane Ida. I only shut it down every 4 days for an oil change. After hurricane Ida I made an adapter for my son's 5000 watt generator out of 1/4" ID reinforced rubber hose. I striped 2" of the reinforcement off one end of the hose and drilled through the air filter housing and the air filter. The hose goes 1" into the throat of the carburetor. I made a clamp to screw it in place with some strapping, hose clamp and screws. It runs great on natural gas or gasoline. I just tried a KN regulator on a dual fuel generator to run it on natural gas using the hose on it for the LP fuel. It also run great. All 3 use a KN low pressure natural gas regulator and I make a adjustable gas valve out of brass fittings. I get everything from EBay. I tried attaching pictures of them to this post, but was unsuccessful.
Bicycle part Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Machine
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Plant
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Valve
Motor vehicle Asphalt Gas Automotive tire Wheel

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
make sure to change out the hose for rated for vapor gas as LP and NG hose.

i do question on all of the setups the air flow interference of the extra tube in the air flow stream...
i would think it would be part of the reason for lower power....
as lower air flow...
just a question.
in reality i have yet to see a small disturbance to be an issue.

now if the oem mfg's would get a good setup for efi with LP and NG then they will have something!
the cost per unit is the big thing...
and the demand for a unit with 2 sets of efi on board for tri fuel.

or even just a trade off system as a choice of mono fuel as efi gasoline or efi LP and NG
that they should be able to keep the retail price close to what we have now on gen sets like the eu7000is.

one of the things i have noticed as an issue is the vibration of the gen running with the demand regulator attached to the frame direct...
over time the demand regulator will develop issues from internal wear.
i have relocated the demand regulator to not attached to the gens for this reason.
and as long as the hose run from the demand regulator is short (under 6 feet) and is proper sized for the flow demand you are still ok on load response.

and to danny la
it looks like a good setup!
not bad for a home build!
just change out the hose to a rated for LP/ NG is all i see as bad.

and you might be able to make a frame mod out of bendable emt pipe for the yellow gen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts