Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this generator 2 months ago and boy oh boy it saved my bacon during this weeks ice storm! ( No more hauling water to fill the toilet tanks)!

I hooked it up to my well jet pump, furnace, water heater, and fridge and freezer plus a few lights. Noisy yes not like a Honda but for emerg it works great. Nice big metal fuel tank on it too.

I threw open the main breaker and created a 12 gauge cord that I marretted into the black/white and ground wire on the furnace.

The furnace has electronics so I would imagine it would be wise to buy a good quality surge device like APC or Belkin to protect the furnace electronics in case the generator causes a surge/spike?

Also in terms of grounding I used the ground wire on the furnace not the big nut that's on the generator, the manual says to drive a big copper spike into the ground but that's un-realistic especially when the ground is frozen solid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey there I guess it depends if the generator neutral is bonded or floating, if the generator is bonded to neutral you don't have to ground it.... But if the neutral is floating you must ground it , perhaps getting a piece of rebar 5-6 ft or so , sharpening the end and beat that sucker down with a sledge hammer, it will go in......and as far as protecting the electronics a surge protecter will help I guess.... Let us know what comes of that

Zapper

1 - 2 of 2 Posts