Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The neighbor gave me a Homelite 2700 psi pressure washer with Honda GCV 160 engine. It runs great, but when you release the trigger it surges quite violently. Is it supposed to do that? Also, is there any place you can buy o-rings for the wand without having to buy an assortment and throw most of them away? Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm not clear on your explanation. Are you saying that the engine keeps oscillating (revving) from low-to-high rpm, then repeating?

Let's take a quick look at how the system works:
When you are spraying water the engine is under maximum demand and should be running at full throttle, or nearly so.
When the trigger on the wand is released all of that pressure that is being developed must be somehow quickly diverted. When this happens the demand on the engine suddenly drops to almost zero. When the engine goes from full throttle to some lesser throttle setting it is the the governor that must stabilize the engine speed.

Thus, all engines, when suddenly unloaded in a pressure washer system, typically 'surge' to some higher engine speed. But, then, they should stabilize at that speed until the trigger is pulled and the pressure is again demanded.
If your engine continues to oscillate between different rpm's then something within the governor system needs to be looked at. Or, I have also seen a partially blocked carb do this.
If, however, the engine simply 'zooms' to a higher speed but then stabilizes there then I would say it is working normally.

<aside> The bypass action is done by an unloader valve: Upon trigger release the unloader valve bypasses the pressurized water to recirculate within the pump itself.
Note that the pump needs cool water to keep from overheating and this is not possible when the trigger is released and the unloader valve is bypassing. So, never leave the engine running and the pump unloaded (with no water flowing through) for more than a minute or two.

Hope this helps some. Good luck.

·
Registered
526 Posts
clean the carb real good!
there is an air bleed under the idle adjustment that gets plugged.
see my site
there are some tips on carb cleaning in there.
pm me if you need the carb cleaned in a high powered ultrasonic cleaner
or buy one and do it your self!!
see this link for good high power ultrasonic gear
and there is a link on the poust site for powerwasher mall.
that is where i get my power washer parts and orings in the 100 count!!
you just need to know the size.
the duraprene (sp) or brown high temperature o rings work the best and last the longest.
if you are spitting out good orings
replace the fittings as the balls in the quick couplers wear out in a years run time on the low cost couplers
swap those out for the hood stainless couplers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts