Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, after surviving the great Texas snow storm and looking ahead to hurricane season, we are looking to get a portable generator and have the house wired with a generator plug-in so we can run things from the panel during an outage. At a minimum we'd like to run some lights, 2 fridges, microwave, TV, computer, wifi router, charge phones and ipads, and 2 gas furnaces or a portable AC, depending on weather. Options we're considering are: 1) Westinghouse WGen7500DF - really like that it can run off of propane as an option and is 6750 running watts on propane, but concerned about reliability and noise. 2) Honda EU7000 - steep price however like that it's quiet, but worried it won't give us quite the power we need during an outage that could last a few days as it's only 5500W sustained, plus only runs on gas. Which would you choose? Or any other recommendations for 10,000W and below that are dual-fuel, reliable, and not the loudest of the bunch?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Honda and wouldn't buy any other portable model. Low noise and reliability were two huge priorities. Clean inverter output was a must. Cost was a secondary consideration, but resale on Hondas is great. I've seen conversion kits for these but not sure how well they work.

If noise isn't a big deal and where/how it's made doesn't bother you, there are plenty of other lower cost solutions out there to choose from. You could get two of the larger Champion units for half the price of a Honda EU7000is, and keep one as a backup. They're louder, but they could meet your requirements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!! We're also now looking at the Champion 8570W Inverter. I know it's not going to be as quiet as the Honda, but I like that it's an inverter and also 7000W running, so a bit more than the Honda.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't forget: the more power a genset puts out, the more fuel it takes. That is one of the things that has restricted me to 4000W or so. I've got to haul gasoline and diesel home since I've got two gensets, one for each type of fuel. But, I can get by on a half-gallon-per-hour fuel usage on my serviced load. Larger loads are proportionally greedier. This becomes an issue with wide-area outages for days on end.

Propane has the same problem of having to haul it home unless you have large tanks on-site can get it delivered via truck. But then, you need the large tank in the yard. However, propane the big advantage of possessing an unlimited shelf life with no need to "freshen" the supply every so often.

Natural gas would be the ultimate solution, but I don't have that service available. And, of course, natural gas service has been known to have its stoppages too, which might dictate the need for have an alternative on site; probably propane.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't forget: the more power a genset puts out, the more fuel it takes. That is one of the things that has restricted me to 4000W or so. I've got to haul gasoline and diesel home since I've got two gensets, one for each type of fuel. But, I can get by on a half-gallon-per-hour fuel usage on my serviced load. Larger loads are proportionally greedier. This becomes an issue with wide-area outages for days on end.

Propane has the same problem of having to haul it home unless you have large tanks on-site can get it delivered via truck. But then, you need the large tank in the yard. However, propane the big advantage of possessing an unlimited shelf life with no need to "freshen" the supply every so often.

Natural gas would be the ultimate solution, but I don't have that service available. And, of course, natural gas service has been known to have its stoppages too, which might dictate the need for have an alternative on site; probably propane.
A contractor recommended a tri-fuel generator from Costco, so we're going to look at that one as well. This is quite the rabbit hole we've got ourselves going down, so many pluses and minuses to each brand and model.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yep, no matter what you choose, it will be a compromise. Even the ultimate-in-convenience "whole-house" generator option fueled with natural gas has its compromises. I read sad stories of some not running when needed the most, problematic circuit control boards that are sensitive to the elements, the difficulty and expense of maintenance and getting on-site repairs, and expensive units becoming obsolete after a few years in regards to getting parts for repairs. That must be a tough pill to swallow when you look back and see the few hours a generator is used and it becomes throw-away obsolete in a few years. Ugg.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks!!! We're also now looking at the Champion 8570W Inverter. I know it's not going to be as quiet as the Honda, but I like that it's an inverter and also 7000W running, so a bit more than the Honda.
I can say Champion generators are very reliable generators. This is from my experience and others as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I will second the Champions. I've had mine for a couple years now and used it a few times. It's a dual fuel. I liked it so much I talked my boss into getting one for work. We've used it once to power the building when a transformer blew up. It was great. Now we just keep a tank of propane around and don't have to worry about the gas going bad.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...le-generator-with-electric-start?cm_vc=-10005

·
Registered
94 Posts
Howdy from up here in the Big Thicket. Country Boy can survive. To quote the mantra of one of our lot who seems to have gone AWOL the last week or two..."Buy the Honda. Buy ONLY the Honda." (Hint: He's usually right.)

Buy once, cry ONLY once...because you bought a Honda. Nobody ever regretted buying quality the first time. Most DO buy quality the SECOND time. It will still be powering your house when other generators will have been recycled into Budweiser cans. Ask me how I know. Most generators will run and put a smile on your face the first 50 hours. Most. But, how 'bout after 1000 hours? Honda.

They'll run on anything too: hurricane debris, septic tank toilet paper, even pine knots...

Reactions: GQC13

·
Registered
264 Posts
Howdy from up here in the Big Thicket. Country Boy can survive. To quote the mantra of one of our lot who seems to have gone AWOL the last week or two..."Buy the Honda. Buy ONLY the Honda." (Hint: He's usually right.)

Buy once, cry ONLY once...because you bought a Honda. Nobody ever regretted buying quality the first time. Most DO buy quality the SECOND time. It will still be powering your house when other generators will have been recycled into Budweiser cans. Ask me how I know. Most generators will run and put a smile on your face the first 50 hours. Most. But, how 'bout after 1000 hours? Honda.

They'll run on anything too: hurricane debris, septic tank toilet paper, even pine knots...
How do you know? You said to ask.;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
How do I know? Let's see:

Since 1983 I have purchased eight generators. Three of them I had to take back and get my money back. Two were Onan's in motorhomes, WONDERFUL gensets, still have one of them. Of the other three standby generators:

1. Generac XP8000E: Has only 58 hours on it. In that short time I've had to reseal the leaking gas tank seams and fix the oil drain port leaks due to loose tolerances, or else live with oil stains on my shop floor. I've had to replace the tank petcock, twice, and its plastic petcock handle to turn it on and off. All in only 58 hours. Had I know then what I know now about Generac, this generator, their customer service being a call center reading from scripts rather than real technicians, their parts support and their lack of critical parts as a sunset sales strategy to drive repeat sales, as witnessed by my own experience and the testimony of others on here, I'd have just bit the bullet and bought a Honda. Or two. I have justified trepidation that this thing won't work when I need it to, or for as long as I need it to, or worse yet, spring another gas leak while under operation and burn this place down. How wide will an eight gallon fireball spread anyway? Does 50 feet of generator power cord place it safely out there far enough? (As I write this there has been two Generac commercials on the tube. THAT's where they choose to place their efforts.)

2. Coleman Powermate 3500: 1988-ish? Over 500 hours on this one, probably closer to 1000. They don't make them like this anymore. Not a single problem: Change oil, air filter, run, repeat. Mankind has never created a louder mechanical device. I just cleaned it up after a decade's storage, but still need to replace the needle bearings in the head and do an overhaul on the old but reliable Briggs engine. This is a backup to the Generac, but truth be told, it probably has more latent reliability left in it than the Generac does.

3. Honda EU2000i: My ace in the hole, so that I can have peace of mind and sleep at night, being the nervous owner of the other two. If all else fails, in the next hurricane, at least my frozen food is safe, and I can run my office equipment to stay open. As I struggle to figure out WTF is wrong with the other two.

That's how I know.

Given the choice to have had this cumulative generator "enlightenment" experience over the last 38 years, or to have purchased a big honking Honda back then, at an exorbitant price, that I couldn't afford, knowing what I know now, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT BIG HONKING EXPENSIVE HONDA IN A NEW YORK MINUTE AND NOT LOOKED BACK. Or an Onan.

My time is more valuable to me than any amount of money, and in a lifetime I have wasted too much of it trying to be cute and "smart" about saving money on portable standby generators. As usual, I have been my own worst enemy. Save money on your peanut butter, not your brain surgeon. Get a Honda.

And if you haven't learned anything here, AT LEAST buy a generator that has a spin-on oil filter on it, and an Eco-Mode.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have this generator; the Champion 100520 generator and it's been great. I gave my daughter (who lives across the street) the 100519 I had so she wouldn't bring her cats over to my house during a power outages. Both are inverter style and if you have a newer style high-efficiency furnace, you may want to spend the extra for an inverter type. I've had several heating contractors tell me of service calls from people whose furnace wouldn't run during an outage, on a standard generator. It turns out it's the circuit board won't work with a generator that doesn't have "clean" power (cycles per second variation). Bad time to find out is when you need it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote: "...And if you haven't learned anything here, AT LEAST buy a generator that has a spin-on oil filter on it, and an Eco-Mode...."

So all your gensets have spin-on oil filters, including the Honda?

My two gensets don't. But, then, I don't put enough hours on a home stand-by generator to have a spin-on oil filter. The units are too small and the hours are too few to make a difference; in my case, that is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man I have a big house with 2 x 5 tons HVAC system. Wish I could pair 2 Champion 100520 as I am interested in clean inverter power. All my HVAC is on high tech Honewell controls and I am sure dirty power will kill it :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Generac does. The Coleman doesn't, nor does the Honda. On those I change the oil at 50 hours. The Coleman has been through two extended run post hurricane periods, 13 and 14 days, and quite a few 3-4 day runs with lesser hurricanes over the years. During those periods, every fifty hours in lieu of having a automotive-type spin on filter. I think the Coleman is only still running because it is a vintage Briggs and Stratton engine. Even Briggs doesn't build them like they use to. If it were a Chinese clone it would have given out long before now. These days, if you want one to run for a long time you better plan ahead for that. A spin-on filter obviously will extend the life of the motor, IF you do your part. Otherwise, make use of some magnets, and change the oil at 50. Put some Ring-Free in the gas too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have this generator; the Champion 100520 generator and it's been great. I gave my daughter (who lives across the street) the 100519 I had so she wouldn't bring her cats over to my house during a power outages. Both are inverter style and if you have a newer style high-efficiency furnace, you may want to spend the extra for an inverter type. I've had several heating contractors tell me of service calls from people whose furnace wouldn't run during an outage, on a standard generator. It turns out it's the circuit board won't work with a generator that doesn't have "clean" power (cycles per second variation). Bad time to find out is when you need it.
I just wish this one was dual fuel! But it's still a strong contender for us.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This whole situation with Generac, this WHOLE INDUSTRY having issues with quality as bespoke by this forum, it begs the question: Why has Honda not entered the standby generator market? The world would beat a path to its door.

Reactions: Jump

·
Registered
48 Posts
This whole situation with Generac, this WHOLE INDUSTRY having issues with quality as bespoke by this forum, it begs the question: Why has Honda not entered the standby generator market? The world would beat a path to its door.
This is a good question, but my guess is that since Honda is a higher end brand, their whole house units with 4 CYL engines, water cooled, 1800 RPM models would price them at or above the already established high end vendors like Kohler, CAT, Cummins, etc. Here is one example of their GX690 engine being used by another vendor:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts