Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called a propane dealer to get information for a tank for my 12,000 watt portable generator and they told me according to the law I can not hook a portable generator to a large ( 120 gallon) tank in NJ. When I questioned her about it she said " that's all I can tell you" and hung up. I have spent a lot of time trying to look this up with no luck.
Can anyone tell me where to look or know anything about it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well I would suggest that you call a generator installer company in your state and ask them the legal ramifications about exactly what it is that you want to do. Let us know how it goes, Dutchy

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I called a propane dealer to get information for a tank for my 12,000 watt portable generator and they told me according to the law I can not hook a portable generator to a large ( 120 gallon) tank in NJ. When I questioned her about it she said " that's all I can tell you" and hung up. I have spent a lot of time trying to look this up with no luck.
Is your plan to lease or own the tank? If you are buying your own tank, these propane company’s will have little issue filling it and they won’t hit you with a massive up charge on the fuel. Though they do get picky with delivery quantities.

Keep calling around and revise your questions as needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try these guys…Propane fueled emergency standby power generator

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
check in with the fire guys as well as the city or county where you are located...
yea in some areas they do not let you have large LP tanks.
we are that where I am as well....

you can have 100 lb tanks ok but they are limited to how many on a property at a time.

it could be a deal with the natural gas guys in the area..

question for ya
do you have natural gas on the property or in your location???
that is what i went for fuel number one of the 3 for the tri fuel.
way lower cost than LP per hour of run.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure about the regs. I don’t know why they would care. I would call what ever city department that covers gas installations and ask them. The dealers likely don’t know the regulations. Certainly not as well as the city or municipal district.

·
Registered
435 Posts
More than likely the propane supplier had the idea that you would not use enough propane to justify them installing a tank on yout site.Tanks are expensive and they like to connect to houses due to consumpion.
I bought a 600 gallon unit from a farmer and set it up on my cabin. Buy your on tank.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
yup buy your own tank is a good plan unless you are to use the LP for a stove or furnace as well.
they like a good customer that uses at least 500 to 1000 usd per year on the rentals or free tanks.

just make sure your area govt or fire guys will not throw a fit on large fuel tanks.

in my area they do not allow over 100 lb lp tanks in the city limits.
or over 100 gallons of gasoline or diesel tanks with out a DNR permit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going through the very same thing about propane at our home in Bow, New Hampshire. Seems I'm safe buying my own 500 gal tank. I found that the company will only fill it to 400 gallons, due to expansion. The cost of the propane will hinge on the fact our new Kohler Standby Generator will be the only item on the gas line. I will have the gas line run and stubbed to the house, for future gas stove, hot water tank, and furnace. The tank, pipes, ditches, and install will cost $6300.00 plus propane. All the installations will have to be Town inspected, for a fee, and increase on our real-estate tax.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts