Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background. I am a homeowner. I do not own a lawn care business. A couple years ago I bought my first weedeater after moving into my first home and it was around fathers day so I grabbed one for my father too (Poulan Pro for like $100 at walmart). Both of us were using regular 87 octane gas in them and a couple years later they would only run on full choke then his just died completely. I am sure they could be fixed but I want to get something better and today is his bday so figured I would get him one too. Again! I just don't want to get him another one that isn't very good or has issues right off the bat again.

So I had it narrowed down to the Stihl FS56 RCE or the Echo SRM225 (both $199). Then I decided I didn't really like that the Stihl design as far as the whole plastic casing and handle being one piece (and wasn't a fan of all the white not that that should really matter but just wasn't a fan). It also felt a little cheaper in the hand with a plastic rear handle compared to the Echo rubberized rear and front handle. Then I saw the FS70R which is a step up from the 56 and I liked the color scheme better and it had the rubberized grip but it is $70 more. I guess it is a little more powerful than the 56 and feels better built when using it compared to the 56 (according to a guy on youtube).
So now I am now trying to decide between the SRM 225 ECHO and the FS70R Stihl. I need some advice.

I can't seem to find the length of the stihl. I am about 6' tall and don't want to be bending over a lot and I really want a straight shaft this time around. The echo is a 59" shaft.

Also read some people don't like on the Stihl how close the rear handle is to the motor cause it makes their wrist be at a weird angle when using it. The echo looks like the handle is pushed more forward leaving more room between the trigger and motor. Does this make it uncomfortable to use?

A bigger concern I have is that I have seen a few reviews stating that on the Stihl the string keeps breaking off then pulls back into the head and they have to take it apart and fix it (and supposedly this happens often). Is this a common issue with the Stihl heads? The Echo speed feed head seems really nice and I haven't read any complaints about that.

I have heard people say they have had their Stihl for 10+ years. All the reviews I have read on the Echos I think 3 years is the longest I have seen. I am sure if will go a lot longer but I want to get something that is going to last a long time as long as I run the right ethanol free gas and empty the tank for the winter and not have to be messing around with it all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My other train of thought was that I didn't want to get my dad something that was going to be more expensive if he needed to get things for it. Kind of was thinking if I got the Echo he could run to Home Depot on a Sunday if he needed something where the Stihl dealer would probably be closed. And I do know he hates the local small engine repair shop cause they screwed him over and they just happen to be the local Stihl dealer. Lol. Of course. So I don't know if he is going to want to go there if he needs things.

My other question I have is with the warranty. Anybody ever had warranty work done through their dealer? What do they actually cover because if you read the warranty on their site it doesn't sounds like they cover very much so not sure if it is worth buying the 6 pack of oil to double the 2 yr warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts