Power Equipment Forum banner
161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have owned my Predator for about a year now, and this past weekend was the first time I used it for prolonged periods running an A/C unit for my cabin at the beach. I removed my oil fill cover for better breathing and it ran fine through the night, but in the morning it would heat up and shut down. I cleaned the air filter and it seemed to run a little better and made it thru the night again. The third day it would barely run, and it was very hard to start. It seemed as though it was constantly flooded. When it would fire, it would put out black smoke, again indicating a very rich mixture. The exhaust sounded like it was plugged when it would run and I had my aha moment. All the symptoms indicated a very restricted exhaust, so I started tapping on it with the end of my screw driver and chunks of carbon began coming out of the arrestor.

Being curious I removed the arrestor completely to see if it would run better, and it ran like a top during the test. I know the arrestor is on for safety reasons but mine became almost completely plugged during my 3 nights of camping. I'm going to look into a larger diameter arrestor that I can plumb the exhaust to in order to help the generator breathe better.

I got enough of the carbon out to get it running again and put it back on for the last night, but this seems like a design flaw - at least on my machine. I imagine the cooler temps at night helped lean out the A/F mixture and as the weather warmed up, along with the excess back pressure the A/F got really rich causing it to sputter and stall.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Not exactly but very similar. Found that my air filter cover (the removable part) didn't have any air inlet holes in it at all! Unfortunately I didn't discover this until after I had added a vent to the oil access door, changed the spark plugs several times (they fouled out every 20 to 30 hours of operation) and a lot of other head scratching and messing around with various components. Much later in this thread someone else mentioned not having any air inlet holes in their cover so someone posted a pic of what they should look like. This led me to inspect mine earlier today and, voila, no holes! I took the air filter cover off and ran the genset for about a half hour under 18A load (13,500BTU AC) and it ran better than it ever has! Now in the process of cleaning the spark arrestor and the internal "cone" filter just behind it - both were completely clogged with soot. Next I will drill some air holes in the bottom of the air filter cover and that should solve the "running rich" issue. BTW - I found that using an "E3.46" spark plug to be the best solution prior to discovering this issue with the air filter cover so I'll probably continue to use this plug. Available at Advance Auto Parts & Auto Zone, links below:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Predator - could you post a picture of the air cleaner cover on the Predator 3500 please. The one already posted by Mike5511 doesn't show enough of the cover for me to understand where the openings are supposed to be exactly. My cover has no openings at all except the fitting for the charcoal canister hose! Are the openings on the stationary filter housing instead of the removable cover maybe? I didn't look for them there. Thanks.
Update - I no longer need a picture of the air cleaner cover. I went to my local Harbor Freight a few days ago and looked at the cover on their floor model and have since made the modifications to my cover. Installed it earlier today along with the cleaned spark arrestor assembly and the genset now purrs quite nicely! Much, much, better now that it can "breathe".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not exactly but very similar. Found that my air filter cover (the removable part) didn't have any air inlet holes in it at all! Unfortunately I didn't discover this until after I had added a vent to the oil access door, changed the spark plugs several times (they fouled out every 20 to 30 hours of operation) and a lot of other head scratching and messing around with various components. Much later in this thread someone else mentioned not having any air inlet holes in their cover so someone posted a pic of what they should look like. This led me to inspect mine earlier today and, voila, no holes! I took the air filter cover off and ran the genset for about a half hour under 18A load (13,500BTU AC) and it ran better than it ever has! Now in the process of cleaning the spark arrestor and the internal "cone" filter just behind it - both were completely clogged with soot. Next I will drill some air holes in the bottom of the air filter cover and that should solve the "running rich" issue. BTW - I found that using an "E3.46" spark plug to be the best solution prior to discovering this issue with the air filter cover so I'll probably continue to use this plug. Available at Advance Auto Parts & Auto Zone, links below:

[/URL]

[/URL]

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I thought I would get e-mail notifications when someone replied to one of my posts but that hasn't happened. Wonder if I need to change or check some setting??
Click on your Account details icon in the upper right corner and choose Account Settings, then click on Preferences over on the left sidebar. Notification settings are there.

Reactions: CyberKnight

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been considering purchasing one of HarborFreights new 3000Watt Inverter generators.

I tend to have doubts as to the durability but it is a pretty good price at $700 for a 3000watt inverter generator.

It looks good and very Hondaish.

Anyone here have one yet?
Just bought one, problems right away. Charcoal canister fills with gas and almost immediately starts flooding the carburetor. Had to disconnect the tube from the canister to the carburetor. Seems to be ok now. I haven't tried running it all night yet. We'll see.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Just bought one, problems right away. Charcoal canister fills with gas and almost immediately starts flooding the carburetor. Had to disconnect the tube from the canister to the carburetor. Seems to be ok now. I haven't tried running it all night yet. We'll see.
easy to cure that!
take it back!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ditto what iowagold said - take it back! HF will exchange it for another one withing the first 90 days. Some of these had an issue with the weld at the bottom of the gas tank around the vent standpipe leaking which allows liquid gas into the vent instead of just fumes. That may be your problem but the same symptom can happen if you overfill the gas tank. The top of the vent pipe is right under the lip of the fill opening so if you overfill the tank then gas can splash into the vent due to vibration when the generator is running. I doubt that's what happened but it's possible.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
you want at least second knuckle on your index finger below the filler neck on your tank fill on most gen sets.
the late model gens have a red ring indicator for max fill line.
unless some one removed it..

over filling forces fuel from the tank vent in to the canister..
also sloshing from driving if it is in the back of a pickup truck will force fuel in to the vent system.
or carb! and it will fill up the crankcase with fuel!! bad thing!!
make sure the fuel shut off is in the off position before moving the gen set.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Click on your Account details icon in the upper right corner and choose Account Settings, then click on Preferences over on the left sidebar. Notification settings are there.
Thanks! I checked and the settings were correct so I guess we'll just chalk it up to another "cyberspace event" as I have been getting e-mails since.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, if one has the old sealed air filter cover; is the consensus that you need both a vented oil filler door and to drill holes in the air filter cover?
Hi, Yes I think it wise to do both. But add the holes to the filter cover immediately whether or not you do the filler door mod. To add a little bit of extra venting to the housing I used a round 2" vent plug (Maurice Franklin 2" Round Plastic Vent - Black - Package of 6 - - Amazon.com) in the filler door with angled louvers so I could point them toward the bottom of the unit to prevent rain getting in. These also have a built in screen to keep out bugs and other debris. They come in a package of 6 so I have 5 of them left - if you PM me I'll be glad to mail one to you no charge (if I can find them that is! If you saw my basement workshop you'd understand quickly). I did the oil filler door venting over a year before I discovered the missing holes in the air filter cover so it didn't help much, if at all, until I drilled the holes in the filter cover. Now the genset runs great! Still "smells" a little on the rich side but nowhere near as much as before plus it just grunts for a split second when the A/C compressor kicks in instead of nearly dying - much better!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, Yes I think it wise to do both. But add the holes to the filter cover immediately whether or not you do the filler door mod. To add a little bit of extra venting to the housing I used a round 2" vent plug (Maurice Franklin 2" Round Plastic Vent - Black - Package of 6 - - Amazon.com) in the filler door with angled louvers so I could point them toward the bottom of the unit to prevent rain getting in. These also have a built in screen to keep out bugs and other debris. They come in a package of 6 so I have 5 of them left - if you PM me I'll be glad to mail one to you no charge (if I can find them that is! If you saw my basement workshop you'd understand quickly). I did the oil filler door venting over a year before I discovered the missing holes in the air filter cover so it didn't help much, if at all, until I drilled the holes in the filter cover. Now the genset runs great! Still "smells" a little on the rich side but nowhere near as much as before plus it just grunts for a split second when the A/C compressor kicks in instead of nearly dying - much better!
PS - I think Private Messages are called "Conversations" on this forum - not certain as I haven't used this feature on this site yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you! I've got something that should work, but I appreciate the offer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I‘d like to know where can I Find the TJ113-2009-9 sper part?
I bought one today at Northern Tool from the parts and service window inside the store. Their PowerHorse 3500 is the same generator inside. Part cost $35, out the door. They're also available on Amazon for around $60 shipped, I believe. Search for Predator 3500 ignition module.

161 - 180 of 191 Posts