Power Equipment Forum banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I gotta ask, after breaking in with regular SAE 5/30 oil, what are the thoughts on Synthetic Oil. Specifically, Mobile 1 Synthetic. I did allot of research on synthetics in vehicles, and it seems to be a no-brainer. But, smaller engines.. old school (not necessarily the wrong school) says regular. The scientific thinker in me things synthetic. Also, has anyone put a valve on the oil drain hole, thus not needing tools to do oil changes? Thoughts??? Thanks!!
Since most small OPE has fairly short oil change intervals specified, dino oil seems to work just fine... Lots of us use either a DrainZit https://www.homedepot.com/p/10-mm-Oil-Drain-Hose-Extractor-HON1010/206184635?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_32_PORTABLE-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_32_PORTABLE-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-SHP-71700000041074945-58700004788398022-92700040946149137&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI573BxIOD5QIVk4rICh1t6g3OEAQYAyABEgJLIvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds or an EZ Oil Drain Valve https://ezoildrainvalve.com/index.html on our OPE. Both work extremely well!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the valve, just waiting for the hose to show up. To those wondering, the valve cannot be mounted directly in the drain hole, there is not enough room to screw it in. On a side note, has anyone extended the exhaust thus allowing you to run the generator in a more enclosed area? I say "more" ie: carport. I want to vent the exhaust more "outdoors" via a 10-15 ft duct. Thoughts?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I got the valve, just waiting for the hose to show up. To those wondering, the valve cannot be mounted directly in the drain hole, there is not enough room to screw it in. On a side note, has anyone extended the exhaust thus allowing you to run the generator in a more enclosed area? I say "more" ie: carport. I want to vent the exhaust more "outdoors" via a 10-15 ft duct. Thoughts?
FYI, the EZ Oil Drain folks have threaded extenders if needed to clear the housing, etc. On my Onan, I needed an extender and also added the hose connector.

No. Never run a generator inside a house, inside a garage, under a carport, on a porch, inside a screened porch or near an open window. No structure that's attached to your house is safe to use. Generators make up to 100 times the amount of carbon monoxide a car does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FYI, the EZ Oil Drain folks have threaded extenders if needed to clear the housing, etc. On my Onan, I needed an extender and also added the hose connector.

No. Never run a generator inside a house, inside a garage, under a carport, on a porch, inside a screened porch or near an open window. No structure that's attached to your house is safe to use. Generators make up to 100 times the amount of carbon monoxide a car does.
Great, thanks for the response. I didn't know if it was possible to connect an exhaust line like they do with Cars in really cold climates. I'll use a heavier, longer extension cord. I'm also considering mounting it to a cart so I can keep fuel and accessories with it. This way I can roll it out with ease, as I bet when I need it, the weather won't be very nice.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm also considering mounting it to a cart so I can keep fuel and accessories with it. This way I can roll it out with ease, as I bet when I need it, the weather won't be very nice.
I did the cart thing for about 20 years, along with an EZ-Up shelter to protect the generator from the elements, but it finally got old (or maybe it was me) and I decided to make a little shed on the far side of my garage to make it super easy to get power flowing in bad weather; just takes about a minute now. Pictures here: https://www.powerequipmentforum.com/forum/65864-post4.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Speaking of which (charcoal canister), can someone shed some light as to the purpose of the charcoal canister. From what I can see, there are two rubber hoses, one that comes from the bottom of the fuel tank (A-B) and another one that goes to the air filter (C-D). Then the there is one outlet that seems is not connected to anything (E).

The spark plug has been there for 37 hours and this is what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Speaking of which (charcoal canister), can someone shed some light as to the purpose of the charcoal canister.
The charcoal canister is the centerpiece of the evaporative emission control (EVAP) system, a technology designed to prevent vapors from your fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere. A failure somewhere else in the fuel or EVAP system can allow gasoline to enter the canister, ruining it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the generator is running rich, more fumes would enter the charcoal canister, thus, causing more spark plug fouling. I consulted my dad on this, he said, "it needs more air!". So, I got one of those vented oil access doors and seems much better. I may also add some of the round ones to the side panels. Air is Life! (t-shirts anyone?)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the generator is running rich, more fumes would enter the charcoal canister, thus, causing more spark plug fouling. I consulted my dad on this, he said, "it needs more air!". So, I got one of those vented oil access doors and seems much better. I may also add some of the round ones to the side panels. Air is Life! (t-shirts anyone?)

Just keep this in mind.......

The more air you allow into the housing of the generator, the less that goes to cooling the cylinder head.

You could potentially cause it to severely overheat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update - I have 400 hours on my Predator 3500 now. Still purrs like a kitten. Oil change interval does seem short, but not a huge deal. I haven't done any of the mods to it. Did open the oil door for a while, but went back to stock config for the last 200 hours or so. Curious how many hours I will be able to get out of it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Update - I have 400 hours on my Predator 3500 now. Still purrs like a kitten. Oil change interval does seem short, but not a huge deal. I haven't done any of the mods to it. Did open the oil door for a while, but went back to stock config for the last 200 hours or so. Curious how many hours I will be able to get out of it.
Impressive 400hrs, when did you buy it?... A predator is a honda clone isn't it not? Wonder if my bohmer ag 2800watt generator thats designed in germany, made in china will last that long...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got one of these last week and have been steadily breaking it in, I now have 24 hours on it. I changed the spark plug today and have changed the oil at 8 hours, 16 hours and will do so again at 30 hours. Today I also removed the charcoal canister. That’s a fairly straight forward job thanks to the info posted in this forum. I was shocked to find a Bosch spark plug from the factory but I swapped it with an NGK. Now my question is this: When I removed the charcoal canister and caped the vent line and the air cleaner port I noticed a red fuel line had come out of place. Can anybody tell me which hole this belongs in? It’s looks like it goes I the hole straight ahead but I thought I’d ask to make sure. Hopefully the picture attached as intended. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got one of these last week and have been steadily breaking it in, I now have 24 hours on it. I changed the spark plug today and have changed the oil at 8 hours, 16 hours and will do so again at 30 hours. Today I also removed the charcoal canister. That’s a fairly straight forward job thanks to the info posted in this forum. I was shocked to find a Bosch spark plug from the factory but I swapped it with an NGK. Now my question is this: When I removed the charcoal canister and caped the vent line and the air cleaner port I noticed a red fuel line had come out of place. Can anybody tell me which hole this belongs in? It’s looks like it goes I the hole straight ahead but I thought I’d ask to make sure. Hopefully the picture attached as intended. Thanks for your help!
I just changed my plug yesterday and it was a... BOSCH! I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure it would have some crappy plug in it. I've got about 12 hours on it and one oil change.

Now to my issue. It seems to run fairly stable under load whether in eco or not. However, with a light load (or no load) in eco mode it has a strong surge, then falls to idle, repeating over and over again. Oil door open makes no difference. I don't remember it doing this when I bought it. Is this a clogged pilot jet issue? How does the governor on these work? Has somebody posted a carb. removal DIY? Thanks in advance. Great thread.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Probably a semi clogged jet.
Remove the carb, disassemble and thoroughly clean the jets paying special attention to the jet on the top side, back near the little round electric motor.

I recommend you get one of those jet cleaning tools off ebay etc for $5.00

Removal is straight forward. I think I have a video on it somewhere. Easy job.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #120

IIRC, it goes nowhere...just like you have it in the photo. Just a vent.
Congrats on the new Genny. Feels great to know you have that clean quiet power available if you need it right?

101 - 120 of 153 Posts