Power Equipment Forum banner
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
i would look in to a better hvac unit...
take a real close look at the mini split inverter units...
they have versions that can do 3 and 4 rooms off one outdoor unit...
and they do not take much power to run them.
and i have seen an A frame inside unit that would fit most furnace duct work....
so as long as the furnace unit fan is low power consumption you are set!

that is where i would start on the project...

and yes to a single eu7000is gen....
you should be able to run the eu7000is at 3k to 4k watts as an easy load in warm temps.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Why buy a generator rated for 5500w and not use it near its max load? I've got a B&S 5500w that I bought after Hurricane Ike in 2008. It's run for days, nonstop, near max output and even powers our standby 240v window ac. Last time was during the freeze in Feb and it ran for over 3 days. The circuit breaker shut it off once when we plugged in just one more electric blanket.
I bought a used Honda ES6500 last spring. It's quieter than the B&S and running amps are 50 at 120v or 6000w. I ran it last week after Hurricane Nicholas for about 6 hours. Started on gasoline and switched to NG after the rain stopped. Ran strong at 48 amps powering my 5 ton ac, refer, and other essentials. 5 ton ac has a micro air easy start. Not enough output to power my old garage freezer. Just turned the refer or AC off when I needed to run the freezer.
hey @ebj
well you need to think about the operational temperatures of where you are running the gen set.
the engine as well as the alternator windings need to be cool...

then you have the electronics in an inverter generator... the inverter needs to be cool at all times as it heats up fast under more than 60% load.
so as long as you keep the ambient operational temps cool at below 60 deg f you can run higher loads..

but as the hurricane and summer storm areas are at 90 deg f and higher....
heat soak is a real big issue.... you can get hot spots in the alt windings....
or heat runaway on an inverter gen....

plan your system and your run power close.
i see you have meters on your system. that is part of a good plan.
a digital meters set with multi line read out would to have been my choice as you can see HZ as well as voltage along with the watts or amps used.
most gens like yours you want to make sure the HZ is as close to 60hz as you can get during a run.

and even remote temperature sensors with alert temps are a great idea for all of our systems.
that way we can be on top of any heat issues if we are not right close with the gen set.
they have blue tooth temp sensors these days just for this to work with a smart phone.
or use a basic 2-4 probe wireless unit that way you can look at a couple of temps on the gen set as well as inside an enclosure and outside temps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey @ebj
well you need to think about the operational temperatures of where you are running the gen set.
the engine as well as the alternator windings need to be cool...

then you have the electronics in an inverter generator... the inverter needs to be cool at all times as it heats up fast under more than 60% load.
so as long as you keep the ambient operational temps cool at below 60 deg f you can run higher loads..

but as the hurricane and summer storm areas are at 90 deg f and higher....
heat soak is a real big issue.... you can get hot spots in the alt windings....
or heat runaway on an inverter gen....

plan your system and your run power close.
i see you have meters on your system. that is part of a good plan.
a digital meters set with multi line read out would to have been my choice as you can see HZ as well as voltage along with the watts or amps used.
most gens like yours you want to make sure the HZ is as close to 60hz as you can get during a run.

and even remote temperature sensors with alert temps are a great idea for all of our systems.
that way we can be on top of any heat issues if we are not right close with the gen set.
they have blue tooth temp sensors these days just for this to work with a smart phone.
or use a basic 2-4 probe wireless unit that way you can look at a couple of temps on the gen set as well as inside an enclosure and outside temps.
Thanks for the info on how inverters are so temperature sensitive. They sell them on how quiet they are running, but never mention how the soundproofing and tight quarters affects the heat buildup and output efficiency. Open frame gen's are a little louder but have better cooling.
I've already added an oil pressure gauge to my gen an will look into a coolant temp gauge as per your advice. Hurricane season temps run in the 90's here south of Houston, so keeping the gen running at a safe temp is a concern. Gen cool means me and the family are cool.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Thanks for the info on how inverters are so temperature sensitive. They sell them on how quiet they are running, but never mention how the soundproofing and tight quarters affects the heat buildup and output efficiency. Open frame gen's are a little louder but have better cooling.
I've already added an oil pressure gauge to my gen an will look into a coolant temp gauge as per your advice. Hurricane season temps run in the 90's here south of Houston, so keeping the gen running at a safe temp is a concern. Gen cool means me and the family are cool.
It’s a great idea to have gauges for the critical numbers. If you want to take it a step further, you can add temp and or pressure switch to kill the engine in the event of over heating or low oil pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Side note, I order the eu7000 parallel kit 3 weeks ago… still Backordered, The ETA is another week or two. Once it comes in, I’ll install all my 50amp parts.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
Well I’ve got pretty much all my parts together to upgrade to a 50amp system, the parallel kit, and some propane items to add to my trifuel eu7000.

All I need now is the time to get installing.
Gas Font Electronic device Electronic component Auto part
Automotive tire Circuit component Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electronic component

·
Registered
13 Posts
How many amps, watts, volts, etc will two Honda EU7000s produce?
Will two run my whole house including hot water heater, well pump, AC/Heat?
I bought my EU7000 because it had 220, dumb me, I thought it would run everything . . . no it does not.
I'm thinking of getting a second one but want to make sure it will run everything.

I can get another one from our John Deere dealer but I need to move fast before they are gone.
Been trying to get together on phone with iowagold, until then, any more information is appreciated.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is your water heater electric? If so, how many watts? I’ve turned mine off during an extended outage and we had hot water for 3days, allowing us quick 2 minute showers. The main objective for you is to figure out what you NEED to run and how MANY WATTS that is before you spend money on another unit. That was your first mistake. No need to do that again…

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
yup just got off the phone with sweep.
looks like a second 7000i in his future. even just as a spare gen set.
he has lp on the remote property.
so an LP hot water heater with a recirculate pump in in the new plan.
he has well pump... i will be working with him on the power demands on that..
i will be working on a meter system for his back up plan so he can see the grid and back up power as live.

and yes a recirculate pump for hot water with a small 120 vac hot water heater works as well.
there is always a way to get things done!
grin!

·
Registered
13 Posts
yup just got off the phone with sweep.
looks like a second 7000i in his future. even just as a spare gen set.
he has lp on the remote property.
so an LP hot water heater with a recirculate pump in in the new plan.
he has well pump... i will be working with him on the power demands on that..
i will be working on a meter system for his back up plan so he can see the grid and back up power as live.

and yes a recirculate pump for hot water with a small 120 vac hot water heater works as well.
there is always a way to get things done!
grin!
Talked to my pal, retired Propane guy, he said get the water heater, we'll put it in. He does all our propane stuff here, even did it on the side when he was working pre-retirement.
I forgot to ask him about the recirculate pump for hot water with a small 120 vac hot water heater.

Can anyone post a link to one of these? I never heard of them before talking with iowa yesterday. Or even post a link to a good LP water heater at Lowe's or Home Depot?

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
How many amps, watts, volts, etc will two Honda EU7000s produce?
Will two run my whole house including hot water heater, well pump, AC/Heat?
I bought my EU7000 because it had 220, dumb me, I thought it would run everything . . . no it does not.
I'm thinking of getting a second one but want to make sure it will run everything.

I can get another one from our John Deere dealer but I need to move fast before they are gone.
Been trying to get together on phone with iowagold, until then, any more information is appreciated.
2 eu7000s in parallel are massively capable. With confidence mine in eco mode will Start my AC while heavily loaded. I recommend a soft start unit for your AC.

Swapping water heaters to propane is a solid move, much less electric demand on the generator for a low cost appliance. Plus the water heater doesn’t need any electricity to operate (atmospheric vent) do not get a power vent unit if you can help it.

What would be the purpose of a 120v water heater and recirc pump?

·
Registered
13 Posts
2 eu7000s in parallel are massively capable. With confidence mine in eco mode will Start my AC while heavily loaded. I recommend a soft start unit for your AC.

Swapping water heaters to propane is a solid move, much less electric demand on the generator for a low cost appliance. Plus the water heater doesn’t need any electricity to operate (atmospheric vent) do not get a power vent unit if you can help it.

What would be the purpose of a 120v water heater and recirc pump?
Don't know, never heard of one before yesterday.
I just want to be able to power my well pump, ac, etc
I think the eu7000i does not have enough amps, so two would be better?
I know nothing about this stuff, always just hung extension cords through windows to fridge and stuff.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A simple 3 way switch will toggle 4500watts water heater to 1125watts. Works just fine with any make/model electric water heater and only slows down the time it takes to heat to max setpoint.

As to pumps, we run not only 8 hp Pentair pump but also SWCG, Acid Injection pump, well pump---multiple heatpumps, multiple refrigerators and freezers using less than 3kW power on a honda eu7000isnan

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
A simple 3 way switch will toggle 4500watts water heater to 1125watts. Works just fine with any make/model electric water heater and only slows down the time it takes to heat to max setpoint.

As to pumps, we run not only 8 hp Pentair pump but also SWCG, Acid Injection pump, well pump---multiple heatpumps, multiple refrigerators and freezers using less than 3kW power on a honda eu7000isnan
hey pipe do you have a diagram on that mod?

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Don't know, never heard of one before yesterday.
I just want to be able to power my well pump, ac, etc
I think the eu7000i does not have enough amps, so two would be better?
I know nothing about this stuff, always just hung extension cords through windows to fridge and stuff.
Depending on the wells pump you might be able to add a soft start to that as well. Pretty much any 3 wire PSC motor can be fitted with one.

Post pics of the service tags on the AC and Well pump. We don’t know how big either of the motors are without more info. Without that info it’s tough to advise you properly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The wire directions are included with the switch. Best part is that you do not have to change any existing breakers, just insert this somewhere between panel and WH. Very simple to install. Used also a small home depot wall cutout box, made a hole into stucco wall in garage and placed the switch into the enclosure/box with a cover plate. Less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
so are you just switching between two water heaters or on the elements of the main hot water heater?

81 - 100 of 116 Posts