Power Equipment Forum banner
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a cousin who lives in north Houston and is in the market for a 7000is. He told me he can't find any vendors who have them in stock. They are backordered everywhere. Anyone know where they might be in stock?

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
It all depends on the state. After Texas had the big outage Honda’s have been in high demand and short supply. I think that the production flow has another big bump in the fall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I found an EU7000is on Camping World of all places but this was about March or April so now my older EU7000is has a partner. So keep checking the Interwebs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Recommend that your cousin call his dealer of choice and ask to get on their waiting list. That's what I had to do. Was on the EU2200 list about a month and a half. Was on the EU7000 list about three weeks. One day the call will come and he will have his EU7000, purchased from his dealer of choice, the last being almost as important as the first. Recommend Cureton and Son in Nederland, not far from Houston. He MUST tell them to hold it for him as he has a drive to get there. Also recommend he offer to put up a deposit over the phone so that they have to hold it for him.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
372 Posts
I did see them for sale on Amazon, I think. However, they were about $600 over MSRP and they wanted over $700 for shipping. I think that qualifies as price gouging.

I'll pass along to him that he needs to get on the list if he wants one. He needs a more powerful generator but he really wants the Honda. I told him he can always pick up another inverter at some point if he wants to add more power to his setup.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That cousin I told you guys about, he still wants to get the Honda. We've been going back and forth about how much power from it he will be able to use. He really wants to be able to run his central a/c with it, along with other household items. He has a soft start for the compressor, but the a/c unit still uses about 4,300 watts running. Add a fridge and he's going to be pulling at least 4,800 watts before anything else is turned on. Is this realistic for a Honda? The conventional wisdom is that a generator is designed to run at about 50% total output. It sounds like he believes he can wring out close to the total output of the generator without issues. For what he wants to do, he really needs a whole house generator. But he wants to run it all on a Honda 7000is. I told him that for short periods of time he can likely get away with it. Long term, he's going to want another inverter, at least, to use in parallel to offload some of the wattage pull. For those with that Honda, what say you?

·
Registered
329 Posts
He'd be better off with a parallel EU7000is setup like drmerdp has. This is an over $10k investment though, which would move him close to the cost of a standby whole house unit. If the main AC starts up while another large appliance is running, it may fail to start even with the soft starter. Also running a single Honda at close to it's rates power may be fine for short periods of time, but it probably isn't the best for the unit's longevity.

He might be able to get by with an EU7000is and EU2200i in parallel, but I'm not sure I'd want to run mine that way since the available power would be unbalanced on the two legs.

·
Registered
372 Posts
He'd be better off with a parallel EU7000is setup like drmerdp has. This is an over $10k investment though, which would move him close to the cost of a standby whole house unit. If the main AC starts up while another large appliance is running, it may fail to start even with the soft starter. Also running a single Honda at close to it's rates power may be fine for short periods of time, but it probably isn't the best for the unit's longevity.

He might be able to get by with an EU7000is and EU2200i in parallel, but I'm not sure I'd want to run mine that way since the available power would be unbalanced on the two legs.
This would be his first generator so he's still trying to figure out what the various wattage ratings mean. I've told him that even though the Honda is rated for 5,500 watts running, the unit is not really designed to provide every one of those watts for an extended period of time. He still seems to believe that pulling 78% of the available power will still leave him with 22% that he can use. He really wants to try to run the house on the Honda. I understand that, but if it were possible, no one would have need for whole house units. Everyone would pick up a 6 kw portable and a transfer switch and save a ton of money. Just the a/c and a fridge would place him at nearly 90% of the wattage output of the Honda. I guess he could get away with that for a short time, but I would not want to run any generator, even a Honda, with that kind of load. I've told him that if he really wants to run his central a/c on generator power (something he is really fixated on), he needs either two Honda inverters or a much bigger generator than the 7000. Running a 7000 at 90% output is going to drink fuel and put a lot of stress on the hardware. I would not do that with a $4,600 inverter, myself.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
The eu7000 is designed to run at its rated load continuously, 5500watts. Though I wouldn’t want to hang there indefinitely. If the soft start keeps the inrush low and he’s prepared to handle the load management, an EU7000 may not be entirely out of the question. But it’s a big ask to run central AC on a single eu7000.

What size central AC unit does he have? Does he know what his inrush amps are?

·
Registered
329 Posts
He could get two of these and parallel them for less than the price of a single Honda:

I can't recommend the brand though since I have never used one. These would drink fuel and they're a bit louder than the Honda, but it could work and would be a cheaper solution. Still have a gen if the other breaks.

I modified my Honda to run on natural gas and I decided that we'd just leave the main HVAC unit off when the grid goes down. We have an efficient 15k BTU mini-split in the basement that only draws about 1kw, and we can go down there to sleep or cool off if need be.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The eu7000 is designed to run at its rated load continuously, 5500watts. Though I wouldn’t want to hang there indefinitely. If the soft start keeps the inrush low and he’s prepared to handle the load management, an EU7000 may not be entirely out of the question. But it’s a big ask to run central AC on a single eu7000.

What size central AC unit does he have? Does he know what his inrush amps are?
He's got a 4 ton unit. I'm not sure what the inrush is rated at. Technically, he could pull it off with the 7000. But yeah, he'd have to run it like a scalded dog. He would have very little overhead running it near the limits of the unit. My inverters won't run in Eco Mode when outputting over 75% of the total capacity. I don't know about the Honda. I suspect that at 90%, Eco Mode is not going to be an option for him, either. I've always been told to buy more generator than you need so you have the overhead if you need it. Granted, he could always buy a Honda 3000is and parallel it for extra wattage. I think he needs a good 12 kw generator like the Westinghouse WGEN12000DF for what he wants to do. I think that would be a much better fit for his needs, but he wants the Honda. The problem is that the 7000 seems to be the biggest consumer inverter Honda makes at the moment. Too bad they don't have a 10 kw option. It would probably sell like hot cakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why buy a generator rated for 5500w and not use it near its max load? I've got a B&S 5500w that I bought after Hurricane Ike in 2008. It's run for days, nonstop, near max output and even powers our standby 240v window ac. Last time was during the freeze in Feb and it ran for over 3 days. The circuit breaker shut it off once when we plugged in just one more electric blanket.
I bought a used Honda ES6500 last spring. It's quieter than the B&S and running amps are 50 at 120v or 6000w. I ran it last week after Hurricane Nicholas for about 6 hours. Started on gasoline and switched to NG after the rain stopped. Ran strong at 48 amps powering my 5 ton ac, refer, and other essentials. 5 ton ac has a micro air easy start. Not enough output to power my old garage freezer. Just turned the refer or AC off when I needed to run the freezer.
Gas Handwriting Machine Fixture Font
Gas Handwriting Machine Fixture Font

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
He's got a 4 ton unit. I'm not sure what the inrush is rated at. Technically, he could pull it off with the 7000. But yeah, he'd have to run it like a scalded dog. He would have very little overhead running it near the limits of the unit. My inverters won't run in Eco Mode when outputting over 75% of the total capacity. I don't know about the Honda. I suspect that at 90%, Eco Mode is not going to be an option for him, either. I've always been told to buy more generator than you need so you have the overhead if you need it. Granted, he could always buy a Honda 3000is and parallel it for extra wattage. I think he needs a good 12 kw generator like the Westinghouse WGEN12000DF for what he wants to do. I think that would be a much better fit for his needs, but he wants the Honda. The problem is that the 7000 seems to be the biggest consumer inverter Honda makes at the moment. Too bad they don't have a 10 kw option. It would probably sell like hot cakes.
A single eu7000 might not be enough… I could run my 3.5ton AC with the eu7000 paralleled with my eu2000. He may want to consider a larger conventional rotary generator or as Browse Deweb mentioned a pair of predator 9500 inverters. Though the preds are significantly louder then the eu7000s with who knows what kind of reliability. My first choice for a non eu7000 240v inverter gen is the powerhorse 7500. A pair of those are $2000 more then a single eu7000.

·
Registered
372 Posts
A single eu7000 might not be enough… I could run my 3.5ton AC with the eu7000 paralleled with my eu2000. He may want to consider a larger conventional rotary generator or as Browse Deweb mentioned a pair of predator 9500 inverters. Though the preds are significantly louder then the eu7000s with who knows what kind of reliability. My first choice for a non eu7000 240v inverter gen is the powerhorse 7500. A pair of those are $2000 more then a single eu7000.
He's definitely got a lot of options. For the money, he could get a lot more inverter. But, he's stuck on the Honda, though. The Hondas are certainly nice, but they are very expensive for what you get.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
It’s a superior unit to all others but… expensive. How many homeowners will put thousands of hours on their generator to truly test their reliability and longevity, not many. I’m a tool and equipment fanatic, the decision to buy the first eu7000 was an easy one. For the second one the powerhorse 7500 is larger in all dimensions then the eu7000 and wouldn’t fit in my enclosure. The predator 9500 would fit like a glove but ultimately I’d rather have the most reliable combination of identical generators.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I suspect he will go ahead and get the Honda when one becomes available. They are out of stock everywhere except where there's price gouging and $750 shipping. He will probably have issues trying to run the house on it and realize he needs more power. He can always parallel another inverter to the Honda to offload some of the demand. Power outages are rare in his area so most of the discussion is academic. I've been in my home for almost 20 years. Ida was only the third time that I've lost power for longer than a day or two. It's peace of mind to be ready, even though it's rare to actually use the preps to a significant degree.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts