Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They keep coming out with new generators, and many of them dual fuel. According to this guy, it's the company behind Duromax and Predator.

(Why Genmax didn't just come out with their own stuff from the beginning is strange - it's not like anybody had heard of Predator or Duromax before either)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the DuroMax XP9000ih, I don't see what this offers that the DuroMax version doesn't. DuroMax over Predator makes sense for the dual fuel capability and remote start. Only thing I'm seeing here is the addition of a 50a receptacle which I don't see much value in.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
you want a good HD outlet that would last a life time.
think heating etc. on a close to max current heating...
over time they get colored...
you see this on space heaters where they over crimp the plugs..
the plug ends over heat....
and they are a low cost 15p that may not carry the full load of the space heater...
same on the gen sets...
if you need the max out of the gen set the larger current outlet is a great idea!
you want 20% more rated plug and socket to take the wear and tear to last a long long time.

so kairus00
you are 9000 watts peak for 37.5 amps max.... that is over for the 30 amp outlet... and about right for a 50 amp.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had never heard of Genmax before, either.

I am looking in to a ^4kw inverter unit that is dual fuel and electric start. So far I can't find any that fit the criteria that are selectable either 120v only or dual 120/240v. The Duromax and Champion versions are only 120v. Powerhorse has an enclosed inverter with electric start that is 120v only and an open frame inverter that is selectable 120v only or dual 120/240v - but it is recoil start, not electric start.

From what I see on the ~6kw Genmax's - they are dual 120/240v, but not selectable to 120v-only. This means on 120v with one connector you are drawing from 1/2 the inverter, not both halves of the inverter paralleled. The next step down is in the 3.5kw class at 120v-only.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeah most manufacturers aren't going to put out a 120/240V generator when one leg is less than 20A. They are unicorns.
Why not give the user the option of either high amperage 120v all together or 240v/split 120v?

That is how a lot of smaller wattage rotaries work.

In my case - I want the ability to run a small inverter welder on 240v. I don't need a 10kw generator to do that - and I need very clean power (inverter welder does not handle dirty power at all). I have the option to run it on 120v - and will do that if that is what I have to do - but I like running on 240v. In fact, aside from quick tests - I've never run the inverter welder on 120v actually using it. What is thrown off is the amperage (welding amperage) setting - 100 amps on the display on 240v input is not the same as 100 amps on the display at 120v. I don't know what the conversion is as I've never spent time to figure it out, but I would venture a guess at least another 10-15a on the screen would be required on 120v to get the same heat output as on 240v. With a legitimate 30a output on 120v (3600w - 4500w class inverter would have about 37.5a peak draw with 30a/3600w continuous) that should allow decent welding. The inverter welder folds back power on 120v anyway - it won't let you dial up over 120a. Though, with the lighter "power" on 120v that 120a might weld about the same as 100a on 240v = a double loss both on the amperage setting and the performance of that amperage setting.

Our big generator is 15kw, which I got for 2 reasons - to run the large loads my other generators wouldn't run as well as whole house back-up including AC. If I need to weld heavy without commercial power this is the unit to run. But that would be a rare occasion. More often I'd be looking at lighter tasks - where the "larger" inverter generator would, hopefully, shine. If I can cover all the mid-range bases with 1 gen - AC while camping, portable welding - that would be fantastic. If I have to settle for 120v-only that's the way it goes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts