Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new carburetor for my 5500 watt generator the other one failed on me. I've had to use starter fluid to get it to fire it runs great after I do that but I'm baffled by it being new that I can't get it to start.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I purchased a new carburetor for my 5500 watt generator the other one failed on me. I've had to use starter fluid to get it to fire it runs great after I do that but I'm baffled by it being new that I can't get it to start.
Is the fuel tank full to the top with fresh gas? Sometimes vapor lock can occur if there isn't enough pressure forcing the fuel into the carb. Some generators have instructions to ensure a full tank prior to starting. Also good to check the fuel line in case it is kinked, obstructed or there is a dirty fuel filter.

This guy has a great channel for troubleshooting generators:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the fuel tank full to the top with fresh gas? Sometimes vapor lock can occur if there isn't enough pressure forcing the fuel into the carb. Some generators have instructions to ensure a full tank prior to starting. Also good to check the fuel line in case it is kinked, obstructed or there is a dirty fuel filter.

This guy has a great channel for troubleshooting generators:
I'll have to look at the fuel line when I get home and see but I didn't see a kink in it when Iinstalled it. . I didn't think of the fuel filter either I'll have to check on that I didn't think it had one though. Now if were talking vapor lock I know on cars if you take off the gas cap it will prevent vapor lock would that be similar?
Thanks for the video I'll check it out. 😁👍

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
please post the make and model of the generator

·
Registered
320 Posts
Generators should be run monthly once adding fuel, or the fuel clogs stuff up if left too long without the fuel moving though the carb etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you buy an original (OEM) replacement carb or a Chinese clone? What were the symptoms that led you to replace the carb?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you buy an original (OEM) replacement carb or a Chinese clone? What were the symptoms that led you to replace the carb?
It wouldn't run even with starting fluid so I just bought a new one. This one runs but I need starting fluid to get it to run. The carburetor was only $25.00 so I just decided to buy a new one instead of screwing around it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's a Chinese clone carb - they have a terrible reputation. I recommend you try to find an OEM Japanese carb.

·
Registered
278 Posts
We need to stop supporting knock-off junk if we want North America to prosper. Have you seen the chit that Amazon, Alibaba and similar sites try to sell as OEM products?? Cheap is exactly that…

1 - 16 of 16 Posts