Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I understand you need an interlock on a generator transfer but, I still have this question: Is it possible to double-purpose a generator transfer as an EV charger? Say, you got a 30 amp breaker for your transfer? It sure would be handy. Space in the panel is an issue once I (electrician) installs the transfer (with the interlock). Sure would be handy to use that same circuit (during normal use) as an EV charger. But without removing the interlock, I don't see this working. And no, in my situation, cannot add a sub panel. Already got two, panel is quite full, and tearing into walls, pipes, etc, puts this idea well into "not worth it" if that's what it takes.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Not if you want a electrical code compliant installation. Many people backfeed through availible large amperage receptacles for electric dryers or stoves. It’s not safe or appropriate.

·
Registered
455 Posts
As to the code and insurance you can put yourself in liability and could face the consequences if an accident happens.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Yes, I understand you need an interlock on a generator transfer but, I still have this question: Is it possible to double-purpose a generator transfer as an EV charger? Say, you got a 30 amp breaker for your transfer? It sure would be handy. Space in the panel is an issue once I (electrician) installs the transfer (with the interlock). Sure would be handy to use that same circuit (during normal use) as an EV charger. But without removing the interlock, I don't see this working. And no, in my situation, cannot add a sub panel. Already got two, panel is quite full, and tearing into walls, pipes, etc, puts this idea well into "not worth it" if that's what it takes.
Drifting north pole
what is your location?city and state?
are you buying or renting the house or building in question?

it all gets in to yes it is worth if if you need power.

lol
i get in to this every day here.
and
"No bucks.... No Buck Rodgers"
that was from the space race in the 1950's and 1960's
is a valid response even today.
it takes money and time to do all of this safe and right.
and short cuts... well it get's some one hurt..

take the time and plan the system...
DO NOT TAKE SHORT CUTS!
i had to shout that from the roof tops!
lol!
you might be better off with a generlink at the service meter.
or do an interlock panel as a replacement at the meter socket.
then do all of the mods to the boxes for grounds on the down stream boxes.

make sure all of the work and updates are up to new nec for 2022 and beyond.
you need an external shut off at the meter socket as well as whole house surge protection for the new nec code 2020.
so why not update that with the interlock setup out at the meter?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does your electrical panel allow for tandem breakers and/or quad breakers?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Does your electrical panel allow for tandem breakers and/or quad breakers?
it gets tricky in some areas of the usa on how many ckts or branches in a panel as well as the down stream sub panels..
it is cheaper most of the time to up grade to a 40 ckt panel from a smaller panel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts