Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new Generac GP5500. I attempted to run my 25year old Craftsman 3hp compressor with it. The compressor has a capacitor start 230V 15amp electric motor. Just in case it is important, my line hook up starts with a 30amp 125-250v 4 prong plug to a 30amp 250v 3 prong plug mated to another 30amp 250v plug then terminating with a 20amp 250v straight blade plug into which the compressor is plugged. Total cord length is 80 ft of #10/3 wire. Here's my problem - when I start the compressor off the generator it runs for about 15 seconds then the thermal breaker trips from the compressor motor overheating. When running off house current the compressor runs fine and has never overheated. Is this a startup draw capacity problem, to long a line run, too old a compressor motor or something else. Thanks for any help/info.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Generator is not big enough with 80 feet of line. My guess is it would work if the compressor was hooked directly to the generator but the generator may still not be big enough. You lose a lot of voltage in 80 feet of wiring. Roger

1 - 2 of 2 Posts