Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to install the through-the-wall-kit listed at https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Control-Corporation-WKPBN30-EMW3790037/dp/B0743BQDT4/ which has an installation video at tinyurl.com/y22hdsfn

The WKPBN30 is a well-designed kit, and uses 12 AWG cable even though only 14 AWG is necessary for a 15A circuit. I assume this was done because it is the end of a long L14-30 cable.

The Image gallery at Amazon has a photo of the installed kit plus a power meter that tells you the draw on the generator that fits in a 2-gang box.

gnrt.PNG

I plan to use the retrofit gangboxes at Southwire Smart Box 2-Gang Adjustable Depth Device Box-MSB2G - The Home Depot because they are sturdier than the ones which rely on wings against the sheetrock.

Before proceeding, wanted to run it by this Forum for suggestions or recommendations (clamping both the Hot1 and Hot2 keeps niggling at me as a possible mistake).

gnrz.jpg

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
well lets start here first
what make and model of generator?

the kit is an 30 amp L1 , L2 120/240 through the wall kit
make sure to use 10-4 gauge wire if this is short runs.
and if it is used longer than 20 feet on the through wall i would run 8-4 gauge.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
on the meter wiring, the current and volt sense the meter is just for one leg.
so if you are doing an usa L1 and L2 setup you need two meters.
one for each leg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...if it is used longer than 20 feet on the through wall i would run 8-4 gauge.
I don't think I have seen an 8-4 cable, will have to look harder.

on the meter wiring, the current and volt sense the meter is just for one leg.

so if you are doing an usa L1 and L2 setup you need two meters.
You have tickled my niggle, I was concerned that might be the case but the photo at Amazon had me hoping otherwise...

Thank you both, very much appreciated and I will proceed as advised.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts