Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing an incident. Last week the power went out, no storms, no wind, just gone. AEP sent their usual text apologizing and said that restoration would be by 10PM which was in about 5 hours. Went up to the barn and dragged back the little Generac 3250 cranked it up, plugged it in and continued with supper and watching TV. An hour or so later it died. ??? I've had this for 18 years it has been a workhorse never any issues. As it was 20 degrees, dragged it back to the barn and brought back the bigger one and all was well. Couple of days later, when it warmed up, started checking the little one, oil and gas OK. Thought the "on-off" switch looked funny, operated it a couple of times and it fell apart. I never use that, it's always on, and shut down the unit by shutting off the gas. In order to get to the switch had to remove the front panel, then the cover on the back of the panel. Removed wiring and eliminated the switch, leaving the low oil switch wired in. They're in parallel, ground out the primary side of the coil. So, it's repaired and ready to rock and roll. I suppose in an emergency I could pull the plug wire. Briefly looked into buying a switch. After ten minutes of "push this, push that," with Generac, gave up. Checked other sites and couldn't find one. I could simply use a SP toggle switch but don't see a lot of reason to.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Just sharing an incident. Last week the power went out, no storms, no wind, just gone. AEP sent their usual text apologizing and said that restoration would be by 10PM which was in about 5 hours. Went up to the barn and dragged back the little Generac 3250 cranked it up, plugged it in and continued with supper and watching TV. An hour or so later it died. ??? I've had this for 18 years it has been a workhorse never any issues. As it was 20 degrees, dragged it back to the barn and brought back the bigger one and all was well. Couple of days later, when it warmed up, started checking the little one, oil and gas OK. Thought the "on-off" switch looked funny, operated it a couple of times and it fell apart. I never use that, it's always on, and shut down the unit by shutting off the gas. In order to get to the switch had to remove the front panel, then the cover on the back of the panel. Removed wiring and eliminated the switch, leaving the low oil switch wired in. They're in parallel, ground out the primary side of the coil. So, it's repaired and ready to rock and roll. I suppose in an emergency I could pull the plug wire. Briefly looked into buying a switch. After ten minutes of "push this, push that," with Generac, gave up. Checked other sites and couldn't find one. I could simply use a SP toggle switch but don't see a lot of reason to.
thats just a standard rocker switch right?
or am i looking at the wrong gen pix?
you could up grade to a switch that has a lighted indicator...
that could be cool if it was remote so you could see the switch to turn it off in the dark...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Iowa, you going to sell me the exact rocker switch to fit in that cutout? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts