Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I have lived in this house for 21 years without an issue with the panel. I had an old Federal Pacific panel replaced as soon as I moved in. What is the benefit of a 200 amp upgrade?
up to the latest code.
also helps with resale.
and the outside disconnect is a cool thing as well
and it helps with more spaces to separate branches in the house.
and more parts for the later model panels.

if you are looking at ats units.
most new ats units are for 200 amp service.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Paul is right: merchantability (and resale value) of your home one day. Also, cost of continued ownership until then. Specifically, insurance costs. Among many other questions, all insurance companies ask if the structure has at least 200 amp service in their pre-qualifying guidelines. If no then most decline to quote. Those that will, well, they are not your front-line insurers for the most part, and their rates are significantly higher than the other companies. They pay fire claims that result from overloaded 125 amp services, so they perceive additional risk, and they rate accordingly. I see these rate disparities on a daily basis. I rep for 27 of them, and my son-in-law is the State Farm agent in Dayton. I can assure you Hou that in your 21 years there you have bought that 200 amp service several times over in paying higher insurance rates. I recommend getting the 200 amp service, then shop your home insurance around for better rates. It couldn't hurt. Break even point is not that many years from now. If not, then at least add Increased Cost of Construction endorsement to your home insurance policy. I sell a ton of insurance in Harris County. My customers have had dealings with the Houston FD Fire Marshal there. If you burn he's infamous for making people bring the undamaged portion of their structures up to current code. He can do the same thing for hurricane damage if he wants to. No occupancy permit until you do. Without that endorsement then that current code-retrofitting expense comes out of your pocket. Just had a church in North Shore have a steeple fire due to lightning. About $375,000 in damage. He stepped in. Turns out it's another $800,000 to bring the sanctuary up to code. Buy the 200 amp now. It's just good...insurance.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That is very interesting. I have multiple homes in Harris County and I have never had an insurance company ask me about electrical service. I shop for insurance every couple of years with the major players, some will not insure aluminum wiring or galvanized plumbing. In fact when I recently replaced galvanized with PEX the carrier does not offer a discount, they said it is insure Yes/No, but no discount for PEX.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
That is very interesting. I have multiple homes in Harris County and I have never had an insurance company ask me about electrical service. I shop for insurance every couple of years with the major players, some will not insure aluminum wiring or galvanized plumbing. In fact when I recently replaced galvanized with PEX the carrier does not offer a discount, they said it is insure Yes/No, but no discount for PEX.
ha!
yea some are just going to give you a cookie cutter policy....
and hope you will never do a claim!

i have a great agent up here...
we sit down and check on coverage at least once a year and tweak on policies.

and yes now that electric power is a real thing in some areas with fires and real bad storms.
they are checking in with the questions on last time it was updated...
and sometimes they are sending out the under writers to take a look!!
a basic inspection of the property!
and do a written evaluation of the issues.
I had that after the dechero here... we switched under writers after that.

kinda surprised on the pex change out. and no discount..
they must to have already had you on the low cost plan??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recommend the liquid cooled Cummins RS25 along with an EasyStart 368 soft starter for your HCAV unit. You don't want an air cooled screamer running at 3600 RPM powering your house for long periods of time. The RS25 is much quieter and more efficient.
hi. I have a 12.5k/9500 Westinghouse dual fuel and as far as AC… 1, 3 ton with a Amrad Hard Start Kit and a 4-ton with a 5-2-1 Hard Start and I can run either but just not both simultaneously. Reason is I need to run a 1HP well pump that takes 2000 running watts And 3000 to start.
so, can you advise if these “ Easy Start-368” can be installed by a civilian or would I need a HVAC guy? I installed my hard start kits myself.
Also any idea how much these reduce the LRA vs the hard start kits….
I think my 3 ton went from 77 to 49 starting amps with the Amrad Hard Start…

also, once you convert a dual fuel (gasoline & Propane) to natural gas. Can you ever use gas or propane again??

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
hi. I have a 12.5k/9500 Westinghouse dual fuel and as far as AC… 1, 3 ton with a Amrad Hard Start Kit and a 4-ton with a 5-2-1 Hard Start and I can run either but just not both simultaneously. Reason is I need to run a 1HP well pump that takes 2000 running watts And 3000 to start.
so, can you advise if these “ Easy Start-368” can be installed by a civilian or would I need a HVAC guy? I installed my hard start kits myself.

also, once you convert a dual fuel (gasoline & Propane) to natural gas. Can you ever use gas or propane again??
Soft start kits are only a little more complicated to install. if you installed the hard start kits then your likely capable. Watch some videos and read the instruction thoroughly.

Soft starts usually cut inrush by 50%. The added benefit is the unit puts the compressor on a delay. That means the inside air handler fan motor and condensers fan motor both start first followed by the compressor. Preventing the surge of all 3 motors starting at once.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks so much!

Soft start kits are only a little more complicated to install. if you installed the hard start kits then your likely capable. Watch some videos and read the instruction thoroughly.

Soft starts usually cut inrush by 50%. The added benefit is the unit puts the compressor on a delay. That means the inside air handler fan motor and condensers fan motor both start first followed by the compressor. Preventing the surge of all 3 motors starting at once.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I installed the EasyStart 368 in about 5 minutes. It's just 4 wires, one more than a typical 5-2-1 hard start kit, which I used to have. The soft start is better for your compressor as well as reducing the inrush. The hard start doesn't really reduce inrush spike, but it does start the compressor faster reducing the length of the spike in current. A current meter with min/max recording doesn't really catch the faster current spike, so it appears as though the hard start is reducing startup current. It's not...at least not significantly.

Here is a guy installing the EasyStart:

·
Registered
20 Posts

I’ve bought kits from Nash fuels for a dual propane / nat gas. When converted, if you want to run on propane you install a load block thst let’s you choke back the propane. Worked like a charm on the pulsar 12kw I converted about a month ago.
cheers.
mac

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
nash has some of the better load blocks right now.
that is what we use here on all of the kits.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is very interesting. I have multiple homes in Harris County and I have never had an insurance company ask me about electrical service.
OOOPS. My bad: It's ineligible for 100-amp or less service, some requiring underwriter review of any that are > 100-amp, sub 200-amp. Also, ineligible with a service that contain fuses rather than breakers, and/or homes or outbuildings wired with aluminum wiring. And, of course, asbestos anywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: iowagold
21 - 31 of 31 Posts