Power Equipment Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
I do not think wind chill applies to inanimate objects, An inanimate object will cool faster with air moving over it as opposed to still air
Yeah, I know that's the "reality", but still the temp reading inside the shed with the extreme air flow going over it is a bit less than the temp reading outside in the sun where the air is relatively still.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Still does not sound right. How are you determining outside temperature I just checked standards and the themometer should be 5 feet above ground in the shade and over a grassy or dirt surface. Too close to ground gives heat from ground, and pavement will give elevated reading also. It should also be place so there is "adequate"ventilation around it

·
Registered
757 Posts
How are you determining outside temperature
Honestly, it's not a big deal, just an odd-ball observation. And to repeat, it's not always that way. As clearly shown in post 18, I use a wireless monitor with two sensors. One is mounted inside the shed on the center of the back wall about half way between the top of the generator and the roof. The other is mounted outside the shed above and in front of the intake or on the propane tank valve guard if propane is being used. I tried swapping them when I noticed the anomaly and the result was still the same with the measurement in the shed being a degree or two below the one outside in the sun as mentioned.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Gotcha, I basically have two of those wireless moniters, ie inside outside temp/ weather units. Same outside sending units and they register different temperature at same location.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Big windstorm last night - power went out about 11:30PM. The generator is purring in its shed this morning... I did not bother with the thermal sensors, but anecdotally:
  1. After three hours, I went out and checked the ambient temperature at 12PM = 51F.
  2. Held my hand in front of the exhaust fan; very cold air coming out the top and barely warmish air coming out the bottom where the engine exhaust is.
  3. Opened the shed and put my hand on the fuel tank; stone cold.
  4. Put my hand on the generator shed back wall as far down as I could reach; stone cold.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
yea i was thinking of you tabby!
we were ok here in that blast.
but it sure was windy at times.. over 50 mph.
I delayed a couple of jobs...
way too windy to be on the road!
they had over 200k out of power est up your way.
darn Y3K!! lol!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Big windstorm last night - power went out about 11:30PM. The generator is purring in its shed this morning... I did not bother with the thermal sensors, but anecdotally:
  1. After three hours, I went out and checked the ambient temperature at 12PM = 51F.
  2. Held my hand in front of the exhaust fan; very cold air coming out the top and barely warmish air coming out the bottom where the engine exhaust is.
  3. Opened the shed and put my hand on the fuel tank; stone cold.
  4. Put my hand on the generator shed back wall as far down as I could reach; stone cold.
Did you run it through the night? Chances are, here it would be quite warm if we were to lose power. The wife would like to run the portable A/C to sleep more comfortably. Any problem with doing that?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Did you run it through the night? Chances are, here it would be quite warm if we were to lose power. The wife would like to run the portable A/C to sleep more comfortably. Any problem with doing that?
just make sure the gen is located in a good spot,
and locked up!!
GRIN!
you would be surprised at how fast they can run if they are not hobbled!!
lol!
yea the port ac units rock when you are out of power..
you can run them on smaller gens.
helps to keep the humidity down so you can breath.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Did you run it through the night?
No, we were on the way to bed when it went out and it was blowing HEAVY rain sideways at 50MPH, so I just left it until morning. I started it up a little after 8AM and ran it until about 12:30PM when the utility power came back on.
The wife would like to run the portable A/C to sleep more comfortably. Any problem with doing that?
Only that it annoys the neighbors! Not mine, since it's in the shed, but several other folks were running screaming loud Champions in their driveways (several without any rain covers, even).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
just make sure the gen is located in a good spot,
and locked up!!
GRIN!
you would be surprised at how fast they can run if they are not hobbled!!
lol!
It's in a shed behind a 6 foot privacy fence. With a motion sensor floodlight over it and one right across from it on the neighbor's house. Oh, and my very large dog who prefers to sleep outside and doesn't like anything or anyone in his yard. Besides, if they want to steal a gennie there would be several that would make easier targets.

Only that it annoys the neighbors! Not mine, since it's in the shed, but several other folks were running screaming loud Champions in their driveways (several without any rain covers, even).
Well, most of the neighbors also have generators but I'm the only one with a shed setup. So, like you, they're the loud ones.

My favorite generator story... A couple months after I finished the shed we lost power from a transformer blowing up. As I mentioned most of the neighbors have gennies. But nobody keeps gas around. And nobody else has a gennie that runs propane. As I was getting ready I could hear some of the neighbors coming out to see if anybody knew what was going on. The wife still didn't grasp how the whole set up worked. She just knew I told her we'd have power if there was an outage.

In less than 10 minutes I was up and running. Lights in the house, the TV was on and she was watching the news to see if there was anything about the outage. I walked outside and the whole street was dark and neighbors walking around with flashlights. Then my wife came out, looked up and down the street, then turned around and looked at our house all lit up. The look on her face was priceless, worth every penny and all the time I spent researching and building the setup.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It's in a shed behind a 6 foot privacy fence. With a motion sensor floodlight over it and one right across from it on the neighbor's house. Oh, and my very large dog who prefers to sleep outside and doesn't like anything or anyone in his yard. Besides, if they want to steal a gennie there would be several that would make easier targets.

Well, most of the neighbors also have generators but I'm the only one with a shed setup. So, like you, they're the loud ones.

My favorite generator story... A couple months after I finished the shed we lost power from a transformer blowing up. As I mentioned most of the neighbors have gennies. But nobody keeps gas around. And nobody else has a gennie that runs propane. As I was getting ready I could hear some of the neighbors coming out to see if anybody knew what was going on. The wife still didn't grasp how the whole set up worked. She just knew I told her we'd have power if there was an outage.

In less than 10 minutes I was up and running. Lights in the house, the TV was on and she was watching the news to see if there was anything about the outage. I walked outside and the whole street was dark and neighbors walking around with flashlights. Then my wife came out, looked up and down the street, then turned around and looked at our house all lit up. The look on her face was priceless, worth every penny and all the time I spent researching and building the setup.
yup but the down fall is the lights are a tell tail...
yea i suffer from the same issue...
except mine is quiet!
GRIN!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts