Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ryobi 2200 inverter generator. I was having some trouble getting it started. It took probably 6 pulls to crank. Once it finally started on the 6th pull, I noticed there was a lot of fuel leaking from the fuel line down into the engine. I shut off the engine. I waited bout 30 minutes then restarted the engine and it fired up on the second pull and there was no fuel leaking. What might have caused the fuel leak and is the generator safe to use?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not sure how I can find the leak now since it totally quit leaking. I ran it for 15 minutes and put close to a max load on it and it still didn’t leak. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went back and looked at the engine with the shell off. I’m 99% sure it was leaking from the overflow line that connects to the air filter. Does that Mae any sense?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went back and looked at the engine with the shell off. I’m 99% sure it was leaking from the overflow line that connects to the air filter. Does that Mae any sense?
Probably the float was stuck the first time you started it, making the float bowl overflow out the vent. Then it got jiggled loose by the next time it ran. You could open up the carburetor and make sure the float & needle valve are clean and move freely, but it'll probably be fine now.

·
Registered
805 Posts
if it is an older gen with fuel left over in it.
the carb needs to be cleaned. float can stick again during a run and catch fire!
the carb can get gummed up during storage if the fuel was not drained from the fuel system.

i prefer to ultrasonic clean a carb
Click here for the ultrasonic carb clean page
there are hidden passages that simple spray will not reach right.

or if it is total trashed and ate out inside just replace the carb with a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts