Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
cool!
keep an eye on it.
if it was trash there could be more...
keep a spare set of gaskets on hand for sure!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Today, I put a load on it and it ran pretty well, but every once in a while, I could hear a mild fluctuation. It did not sound like it was going to stall, it's just that the pitch would change briefly. Once I took the load off, it ran very smoothly again. The new gaskets I used were cheap ones I had that came with a knock off carb that I never installed. They gaskets fit correctly, but they are considerably thinner than the original gaskets. Other than something clogging the carb or a little bit of air is sneaking in a gasket, is there anything else I should consider?

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
@ChrisKinlaw
one of those videos he was reaming the idle pilot jet out to .015 inches with a pin drill.
that would give it a bit more fuel in the idle mix from lean stock.

yea epa has them super lean to the point they almost will not run at low speed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I ordered a new spark plug, fuel filter, and oem gaskets. Once they get here, I'm going to give the carb another good cleaning. I have a question: is there any possibility those slight pitch fluctuations could have been associated with the shop vac I had plugged in? I was holding the sop vac nozzle in a static position, so I'm "assuming" the power consumption would have been linear and should not be causing those minor pitch fluctuations from the generator. It's been raining the last 2 days, so I haven't had a chance to pull it out and attach it to something else to see if the issue is still there.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I wouldn’t be too concerned with slight fluctuations in engine pitch. If you have a multimeter I would run the shop vac again and monitor voltage and HZ for any significant fluctuations.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have a good multimeter but only know how to use it for very basic functions. Would you please explain how to use it to monitor voltage with an appliance plugged into an outlet.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Select voltage or hertz and monitor the numbers while operating the shop vac. Voltage should stay above 120v and hertz should remain between 60-62hz and not waiver.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I hate to keep asking questions, but I'm still learning. So, I would turn on the generator, then plug the shop vac into one of the two generator outlets. I would then wedge the leads of the Multimeter into that same outlet. So both the shop vac plug prongs and the multimeter leads would share then same receptacle. Is that right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I plugged in a power meter and the generator was right on 121v and 60hz. Here is what I noticed. When I plug in my window ac, the rpm's noticeably fluctuate. It's a brand new unit. With the compressor on, the ac pulls between 385 - 415 watts. The pitch (i guess rpms) really changes alot. I'm "thinking" it's the engine adjusting to changes in the load. When I plug in my shop vac, which pulls about twice as many watts, the sound is much steadier. It pulled right around 800 watts. There was some fluctuation, but it's pretty mild - noticeable, but mild. At idle, there engine is smooth and there aren't really any noticeable changes in pitch. I checked the spark plug gap and cleaned up the plug a little, but that didn't really make a difference. I did notice a small crack in spark plug boot. The crack is really small, so I doubt that could be causing any problems but I've ordered a new boost to be safe.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
The tone of the engine doesn’t necessarily represent a change in RPM. It’s really only an audible indication of engine load. As the throttle valve opens wider to adjust to the alternators load the pitch changes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I suppose tone wasn't a very technical description. It just seems like the RPM's would stay steady under a consistent load, such as when I had a shop vac plugged in. I'm probably just being hypersensitive and it's probably just normal behavior of the engine.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I plugged in a power meter and the generator was right on 121v and 60hz. Here is what I noticed. When I plug in my window ac, the rpm's noticeably fluctuate. It's a brand new unit. With the compressor on, the ac pulls between 385 - 415 watts. The pitch (i guess rpms) really changes alot. I'm "thinking" it's the engine adjusting to changes in the load. When I plug in my shop vac, which pulls about twice as many watts, the sound is much steadier. It pulled right around 800 watts. There was some fluctuation, but it's pretty mild - noticeable, but mild. At idle, there engine is smooth and there aren't really any noticeable changes in pitch. I checked the spark plug gap and cleaned up the plug a little, but that didn't really make a difference. I did notice a small crack in spark plug boot. The crack is really small, so I doubt that could be causing any problems but I've ordered a new boost to be safe.
replace that spark plug boot asap.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I suppose tone wasn't a very technical description. It just seems like the RPM's would stay steady under a consistent load, such as when I had a shop vac plugged in. I'm probably just being hypersensitive and it's probably just normal behavior of the engine.
The engines governor will keep the engine at ~3600rpms but the engine tone will differ as load varies.

I suggest Buy a simple inductive tach.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I took apart the carb again and it was very clean. I cleaned everything again anyway, including the jets and emulsion tube, with wire and carb cleaner. The float and needled were very clean and working properly. I replaced the spark plug, the fuel filter, and all of the carb gaskets. I put it back together and the engine sounded like it might cut out at idle. I kept adjusting the idle screw until it didn't sound like it might cut out. But, once I got to that point, it sounded like it was idling a little too high. I have a tachometer on order, but it hasn't arrived yet, so I can confirm the idle is too high - it just sounds like it to me. Under a load the engine still does not sound consistent - the pitch moves around. The engine sounds like it's working a little harder then a little easier, then harder the easier, maybe varying by 5%. It seems like the engine would sound the same since the load remained the same. I'm waiting on a boot to replace the slightly crack plug boot. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'm not sure what the next step should be. Maybe, I need to adjust the valves, but the engine has very little use, so I'm kind of doubting they are significantly out of adjustment. Any suggestions what to do next, including "just use it and quit worrying what it sounds like." would be appreciated.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts